Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Buying Vs. DIY

Slave to the Rose

Cavy Slave
I am trying to decide if I would prefer to buy or just buy the parts and put it together myself. I'm looking at a 2x6 and it will need to be covered because we will be getting cats at some point in the nearish future. Any opinions on which is best. I did a build in the past but I was not happy with how it turned out (the whole thing was very wabbly) and I'm thinking if I buy the kit it will be better because of the instructions and having everything I need in one place.

Also, the table top I'm planning on using is about 1 foot by 2 feet too short. If I used grids along the bottom of the cage would that be sturdy enough to support the weight or should I look into adding a bit of plywood on top of the table top to make up for the space?

Thanks so much!

soopermum62

Cavy Slave
I had that situation at first. I used a piece of plywood on my table. The trick to keep it from being wobbly is to make sure you get the clips and zip ties on tight. I bought my cage from the GPcages store, then purchased cubes from the store to make a base about a week later. So I have a bit of both.... Purchased and DIY.... My cage is quite sturdy before the base addition, but now I have storage for lots of stuff.... AND it looks much better with the cube base

juliannimal

Cavy Slave
Honestly if I could have had a standard size cage I would have bought it online. Making it was a pain in the rear. However, I do like having the extra grids and coro I ended up with making it myself. But is it really worth it? Who knows. I mis-measured my table, grids, and coro about 10 thousand times before I got it right. I know have an almost square 10 square foot cage on a table. Looks great now but a PAIN to make.

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I bought my C and C kit and was thrilled with it. Super easy, no hassle, and it works and looks great!

PhinniePig

Cavy Slave
I built mine and although i measured and double checked everything, i still ended up cutting the coroplast too big and had to re-measure and cut.. it was a pain. As [MENTION=26594]juliannimal[/MENTION] said, having the extra grids and coroplast is a plus. :)

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
You will definitely need a solid surface under it-grids won't cut it.
I think doing the grids is easy but if money were no object, I'd buy the pre-cut/scored coro from the store here.

adelore

Cavy Slave
I have built mine in the past...what pain, pretty much like the others have said. Also since I did have extra grids from the past I used these as the bottom of my cage. My cage a 2 x 4 sits on top of a fish tank stand. I put my white grids on the bottom because of the large over hang on the tank stand. I don't have a whobble cage at all. I just placed the cage on the middle. Heres a picture if this will help DSCN9560.jpg if you look real close you can see white girds on the bottom.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.