PDA

View Full Version : Conditions PLEASE HELP!!Uncertain guinea pig mental issues

GuineaPigs98
02-10-13, 10:48 pm
My pig was just sitting with me in bed. Then I made the tiniest flinch and he started sprinting around the bed, very very scared of me, and fell off the bed.He then ran into the bathroom, and I caught him. I thought he was just being weird. I caught him and put him back in the bed. I made the tiniest flinch again, and he did this again and I caught him and put him back in bed, and I knew something was weird. I comforted him and calmed him,and put him in bed once again. I got him some lettuce and put it next to him for him to eat it, and he just stood there. That was weird because he eats everything. Then he fell off the bed again, the side this time, I caught him, comforted, and put him in his cage with his lettuce. This is very wierd. Plus, my piggy only occasionally runs, and this time he was sprinting for his life from me round and round. Then someone else pet him and he ran into his hay hut, but began to eat his lettuce. He was eating it with a weird rhythm though, not normal. I think he might've injured his mouth on one of his falls. Then he stopped eating, and he just stood in his hut for about 7 min., staring at me , frozen, waiting for me to come at him with a knife to chop off his head. Then he ran into his house, dragging the lettuce with him, and began eating it again with that weird rhythm. Yesterday I noticed a funny hop in his step or limp. I pointed it out and someone said he thought there was a bulge on his side.Goes scheduled for a vet appointment tomorrow.Can this be a mental health problem physical, what?Please help!

bpatters
02-10-13, 10:51 pm
No, it's not a mental health problem. It's a problem with you not properly confining your pig and allowing it repeatedly fall off the bad.

Pigs are prey animals, which means that pretty much everything scares them to death. Your movements scared your pig, and after the first time, you should have put it back in the cage so it could calm down in peace.

He may well be injured, and he needs to see an exotic vet, not a dog-and-cat vet. And you need to take better care of your pig.

millsma
02-10-13, 10:51 pm
This sounds really strange, and I wish I could be of help! Good that you're taking him to the vet, and I hope he's ok!

nicoleb
02-10-13, 10:54 pm
It's a physical issue. You let the poor pig fall off of the bed repeatedly. Think of yourself falling from 4 stories high, repeatedly. Not good.

SheWolfSilver
02-10-13, 11:34 pm
Seriously? Have you had your guinea pig on the bed with you before now? I'm not trying to be mean or anything but I would never do this! Guinea pigs are always going to be skittish because they are prey animals! Even if I did do this after the first time I WOULD NOT put it there again to repeat the process!

MochaAndMoo
02-11-13, 02:14 am
So after your pig fell off the pig more then once you still put him up there?
Guinea pigs are very delicate animals, he could have very easily broken his spine or bones.

CandyApple
02-11-13, 04:07 am
I don't no if your aware of this but your guinea pig could have died. It has absolutely nothing to do with mental issues because pigs are flight not fight animals. Most pigs will sprint off at the smallest flinch.
Take care of your guinea pig properly and bring him to an exotic vet. No, not a cat, dog or horse vet, a vet who treats rodents and other exotic animals on a regular basis.

Paula
02-11-13, 10:52 am
My pig was just sitting with me in bed. Then I made the tiniest flinch and he started sprinting around the bed, very very scared of me, and fell off the bed.He then ran into the bathroom, and I caught him. I thought he was just being weird. I caught him and put him back in the bed. I made the tiniest flinch again, and he did this again and I caught him and put him back in bed, and I knew something was weird. I comforted him and calmed him,and put him in bed once again. I got him some lettuce and put it next to him for him to eat it, and he just stood there. That was weird because he eats everything. Then he fell off the bed again, the side this time, I caught him, comforted, and put him in his cage with his lettuce. This is very wierd. Plus, my piggy only occasionally runs, and this time he was sprinting for his life from me round and round. Then someone else pet him and he ran into his hay hut, but began to eat his lettuce. He was eating it with a weird rhythm though, not normal. I think he might've injured his mouth on one of his falls. Then he stopped eating, and he just stood in his hut for about 7 min., staring at me , frozen, waiting for me to come at him with a knife to chop off his head. Then he ran into his house, dragging the lettuce with him, and began eating it again with that weird rhythm. Yesterday I noticed a funny hop in his step or limp. I pointed it out and someone said he thought there was a bulge on his side.Goes scheduled for a vet appointment tomorrow.Can this be a mental health problem physical, what?Please help!Repeatedly frightening a pig to the point that it freaks out and runs for its life, to the point of potential injury by falling off the bed and bolting into the nearest place for escape, then expecting the poor creature to eat as it normally would after said fright and being confused that the animal is limping and eating as though he's injured after these repeated falls could very well be indicative of a mental health problem, but I definitely don't think it's the pig's.

CandyApple
02-11-13, 11:25 am
Repeatedly frightening a pig to the point that it freaks out and runs for its life, to the point of potential injury by falling off the bed and bolting into the nearest place for escape, then expecting the poor creature to eat as it normally would after said fright and being confused that the animal is limping and eating as though he's injured after these repeated falls could very well be indicative of a mental health problem, but I definitely don't think it's the pig's.

That made me LOL Paula... Good one :P

asnnbrg
02-11-13, 11:30 am
Your poor piggy! Why did you keep putting him on the bed after he fell off the first time? He could have died!

TiaColleen
02-11-13, 11:36 am
Oh my, this is so sad. This poor piggy. I would be petrified if my piggy fell even once. I sometimes allow mine on the sofa, but I would never, ever allow him to fall off. If he becomes too scared, they need to go back to there home immediately to feel safe. I hope this is not completely true and that someone would not actually allow this to happen to a living creature.

bguardguy
02-11-13, 11:55 am
Repeatedly frightening a pig to the point that it freaks out and runs for its life, to the point of potential injury by falling off the bed and bolting into the nearest place for escape, then expecting the poor creature to eat as it normally would after said fright and being confused that the animal is limping and eating as though he's injured after these repeated falls could very well be indicative of a mental health problem, but I definitely don't think it's the pig's.

Best post here Paula.

But seriously though, I am beginning to think this was a fake or troll topic? I don't think anyone that has belonged to this forum since July would be dumb enough to treat their pet like that.... at least that is what I am hoping?

CandyApple
02-11-13, 12:00 pm
I know what you mean bguardguy... Are they stupid or something *coughmentalhealthproblemscough*

adelore
02-11-13, 12:13 pm
Guinea Pigs do Not have wings, and they are Not good "high jumpers". If one of my girls ever fell off the bed, I'd die on the spot, not put them back up there repeatedly. When my girls get bunk (on the bed time)time on the Semi, they have a fenced in play area, just so this doesn't happen. I can't believe anyone who loved their pet woud do this 3 times. If this is true, maybe this person should think about giving their pet up for adoption.

_Cass_
02-11-13, 12:18 pm
As irresponsible as it was to let your Guinea Pig fall off of your bed, I am glad that you are taking it to the vet. I don't believe it is a mental health problem, but that your pig got scared and ran off, and then after being placed back on the bed he got scared of the situation. Guinea Pigs are prey animals. They get scared. YOU are responsible for making sure that he is safe. If you're unable to watch him and make sure that he won't fall from high areas, and put him into situations where he can get hurt, you should consider rehoming him.

@bguardguy (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=26656) I am hoping this is a troll topic too...

@Paula (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=7434) Haha good one

Mastershroom
02-11-13, 12:29 pm
Not to say that Guineapigs98 wasn't acting irresponsibly, but keep in mind not all beds are created equal, and most bedrooms have carpeted floors. For example, my bed just sits on top of a box spring mattress on the floor, no frame or anything. Maybe a foot and a half from the top of the mattress to the carpet. I'm not going to test this theory, but if any of my pigs went over the edge, they'd be fine. And given that OP's pig sprinted at top speed into another room, it probably wasn't really hurt. Like I say, I'm not trying to defend the OP; the pig should have gone home after the first incident and should never have been allowed to jump off in the first place. Just pointing out something I figure is worth considering.

asnnbrg
02-11-13, 12:37 pm
Deer can run a substantial distance even after being shot in major organs. I wouldn't use this pig's ability to sprint away after falling off the bed as proof that he's fine, particularly since the op has begun another thread complaining that her pig has a large lump in his side that he doesn't like her poking and prodding.

CandyApple
02-11-13, 12:39 pm
Exactly asnnbrg... The adrenaline stops the pain for a short time, allowing the animal to get away.

bguardguy
02-11-13, 12:40 pm
Guinea Pigs do Not have wings, and they are Not good "high jumpers". If one of my girls ever fell off the bed, I'd die on the spot, not put them back up there repeatedly. When my girls get bunk (on the bed time)time on the Semi, they have a fenced in play area, just so this doesn't happen. I can't believe anyone who loved their pet woud do this 3 times. If this is true, maybe this person should think about giving their pet up for adoption.

I cannot wait until genetic engineering gets to this point!! LITTLE BABY GUINEA PIGS WITH WINGS!!! OH MY!!! lol

asnnbrg
02-11-13, 12:56 pm
I cannot wait until genetic engineering gets to this point!! LITTLE BABY GUINEA PIGS WITH WINGS!!! OH MY!!! lol

Man, I don't know. I had one the other day reach down to get a poop nugget, and instead of eating it, the little stink flipped it out at me. I don't really think I want flying poop cannons all over my house. They'd be cute, all right, but can you imagine the mess?

bguardguy
02-11-13, 01:11 pm
lol. It is flying guinea pigs though. I think I can handle the poop! Besides you could just make huge closed cages for them. Height would not longer be an issue!! Instead of lap time they could have airtime! LOL! bahahahah

madelineelaine
02-11-13, 01:40 pm
I'm just omg I can't even believe this post.

I really hope it's a troll, because that's horrendous.

Rhinos_mom
02-11-13, 01:47 pm
Even if it's not a troll, do you think that user is going to respond? after all of the aggression shown?

Hopefully, this person is getting the pig to the vet as stated and will never make that stupid mistake again. I hold my pigs on my bed all the time (please note my "bed" is 2 twin mattresses on top of each other) But i would never let my pigs get close to the edge like that, or risk injury by being so complacent about safety.

Cavy Treenie
02-11-13, 01:54 pm
I think even the newest piggie owner wouldn't even think of letting their pig near the edges of any furniture high off the ground.This to me sounds like a person who's stairs go all the way to the top.

bguardguy
02-11-13, 01:59 pm
I think even the newest piggie owner wouldn't even think of letting their pig near the edges of any furniture high off the ground.This to me sounds like a person who's stairs go all the way to the top.
I have never heard this before lol!

bpatters
02-11-13, 02:04 pm
Cavy Treenie, I think you mean don't go all the way to the top.

bguardguy
02-11-13, 02:12 pm
That makes even more sense and is much more funny! lol

Cavy Treenie
02-11-13, 02:29 pm
bpatters Thanks yeah, thats what I meant. Her stairs DON'T go all the way to the top.

asnnbrg
02-11-13, 02:47 pm
I don't consider it aggressive to call someone out for outright neglect and potential animal abuse. I wouldn't call her names or be unkind to her, but I will tell her she's out of line. There's a time to be nice and sugarcoat, and there's a time to lay it out there. I think this is one of the latter times. Her pet is at grave risk here, and she continued putting it at risk with her choices. He needs a vet. Hopefully she got him the care he needed. She doesn't seem to have updated either of these threads, so it's hard to say. I worry very much about that lump.

Megaredize
02-11-13, 02:50 pm
I find this thread kind of disgusting and it no the OP that offends me most. I usually ignore threads that piss me off, but SHAME on all of you for BULLYING the OP. For all you know she could be 10 years old. It is easy to lie when you sign up on these types of forums. She made a HUGE mistake, yes BUT she is bringing the pig to the vet, which is good. Im sure the OP wont be coming back I know I wouldn't. Quite frankly I dont know if i want to hang around here much anymore either. It is bullying which nowadays everyone knows is wrong and what serious consequences come from it. I understand people get heated when they hear an animal got hurt, but he is alive and going to a vet. Next time take a breath and think before you post. You can hate on me for this all you want. I can handle it

Xinaa
02-11-13, 03:00 pm
Once, while I had both of my pigs on my bed for lap time, one decided that he wanted to see the other side of the room and almost ran off my bed, but I caught him in mid air. Thank God. I now keep my legs as a border so they wont run off. Pillows help too, such as with a baby sleeping on a bed, pillow fence.

asnnbrg
02-11-13, 03:04 pm
I find this thread kind of disgusting and it no the OP that offends me most. I usually ignore threads that piss me off, but SHAME on all of you for BULLYING the OP. For all you know she could be 10 years old. It is easy to lie when you sign up on these types of forums. She made a HUGE mistake, yes BUT she is bringing the pig to the vet, which is good. Im sure the OP wont be coming back I know I wouldn't. Quite frankly I dont know if i want to hang around here much anymore either. It is bullying which nowadays everyone knows is wrong and what serious consequences come from it. I understand people get heated when they hear an animal got hurt, but he is alive and going to a vet. Next time take a breath and think before you post. You can hate on me for this all you want. I can handle it

It's not ok to be making fun of her, but it's also not ok to make sweeping generalizations and accuse every single person here of being a bully, and quite honestly, I find your accusations quite offensive.I am not going to sugarcoat her actions and be all nicey-nicey about the fact that she repeatedly placed her pet in grave danger. Her pet has a large, tender lump, his leg is at an odd angle, and he's limping. He's alive, yeah, but for how much longer? I'm not a bully for not blowing sunshine up her (fill in the blank) over this situation. I'm a mom and a pet lover who thinks she screwed up big time.

_Cass_
02-11-13, 03:18 pm
Megaredize I don't think anyone here was intentionally trying to "bully" the OP. Everyone on this site has some kind of love for Guinea Pigs and animals, and some of us can get heated when we hear about a member being not-so-smart about their ownership, especially when it was easily preventable. Now, I do hope that the OP does come back on this site and let's us know how he/she's pig is doing, and realizes the mistake they made and takes all the steps necessary to make sure it won't happen again. This site is great for information and learning, and mistakes happen. This shouldn't mean the OP should leave. Like I said, I don't think anyone here is trying to be mean, there was just some pretty heated constructive criticism.

Paula
02-11-13, 03:50 pm
I find this thread kind of disgusting and it no the OP that offends me most. I usually ignore threads that piss me off, but SHAME on all of you for BULLYING the OP. For all you know she could be 10 years old. It is easy to lie when you sign up on these types of forums. She made a HUGE mistake, yes BUT she is bringing the pig to the vet, which is good. Im sure the OP wont be coming back I know I wouldn't. Quite frankly I dont know if i want to hang around here much anymore either. It is bullying which nowadays everyone knows is wrong and what serious consequences come from it. I understand people get heated when they hear an animal got hurt, but he is alive and going to a vet. Next time take a breath and think before you post. You can hate on me for this all you want. I can handle itI think you're a bit too eager to apply the term "bullying" and run with it. It's neither aggressive nor shameful to suggest that this scenario is utterly irresponsible on the part of the owner who allowed it to happen and to suggest that the pig has "mental issues" for behaving exactly the way a prey animal would behave is, at least to me, shameful. I have an 8 year old niece who knows better than to allow an animal to hurt itself in such a way, so if this person is a child, no, I'm sorry but I don't see that as being a reasonable excuse, and I don't think that's what's going on here, anyway. This person has been a member here for several months; I'm sorry, but "I didn't know" just doesn't suffice when we are talking about an animal flinging itself off a bed several times, having visible injuries and behaving in a way that suggests it might be in shock or otherwise, at the very least, severely traumatized. Yes, I also applaud him/her for scheduling a vet appointment. If I had an animal I'd repeatedly allowed to injure itself, like I said, to the point of visible injuries, you better believe I'm going to get that thing into a vet straight away, too.

Maybe the bed is 6" off the floor - maybe, like my bed, it's 3 feet off the floor and the animal was dropping onto hardwood floors, or maybe it was carpet, no way to know. Either way, allowing it to happen once is a regrettable mistake. Continually setting the poor creature up to fall again and again -- no matter the distance, no matter the surface it fell onto -- is hardly acceptable and saying so is not bullying, no matter how you might try to bend it into something that resembles aggression or an intentional attack.

Aleks
02-11-13, 03:55 pm
Okay seriously, she wanted to know if maybe something was wrong with her pig mentally. I understand that yeah, it's ignorant for her to think that because of how he's been acting after having two serious falls, but for you guys to say that SHE has mental health problems just because her post was a bit ignorant?
I think that's just plain wrong.

I myself have a couple of mental health problems such as depression, very bad anxiety and a few other things, and I think it's messed up that you guys are saying that she has mental health problems AND THEN LAUGHING ABOUT IT and saying things like "good one" and "best post here".
Seriously, you don't know that she has any problems like that, and if she does do you really think making fun of her because of it is going to make those problems any better? Because in my experience, being teased about having MH issues has always made things much worse.

FluffyGuinea
02-11-13, 04:31 pm
No one in this thread has asked the first question that popped into my mind - has she had the pig on the bed with no problems in the past? I think that is an important thing to know before drawing any conclusions. Although I wouldn't go so far as to accuse anyone of bullying as others have, I do think there is a tendency to rush to judgement with incomplete information in this forum.

_Cass_
02-11-13, 04:54 pm
GuineaPigs98 , It would be great if you could let us know if your pig is okay, or give us an update.

momomiyamommy
02-11-13, 04:56 pm
In the pig's best interest, I think it's best to hold off from the name calling like "mentally ill", chances are she will not come back to the forum if she feels like she was being teased/belittled. I was definitely angry when I saw this post but calling her "mentally ill" will make things worse because we cannot keep up on the pig's condition if she chooses not to come back to the forum. I don't think she was "bullied" by anyone on this forum but she was definitely not treated with respect.

@GuineaPigs98 (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/members/guineapigs98.html) , please keep us informed about your piggies condition and don't let things that were said in the heat of the moment get to you. I don't think your actions were wise but I certainly don't know you well enough to judge weather or not you are mentally ill. I hope your piggie is ok, and hope that you do some research on how to handle pigs properly. They are prey animals and will run when put in an open place (like a bed) with no hidey houses and a person makes sudden movements.

I think you should consider rehoming him because you are apparently not very knowledgeable about prey animal behavior enough to let him injure himself. I genuinely think that this pig has hurt himself very badly and I hope he is doing well. Please keep us informed about his condition.

Kermit_Koeller
02-11-13, 05:18 pm
thank you Aleks. Call her out, tell her she was wrong. Fine. But to BULLY her by saying she has mental health problems and LAUGH about it puts YOU out of line as well. And Aleks is right. Maybe she ACTUALLY has mental health problems that you just LAUGHED at her for. That goes even beyond bullying. Just plain mean. And Megaredize is right too. Getting "heated" is not a good excuse for accusing someone of having mental health problems. This feels like 6th grade recess for cripes sake.

CavyMama
02-11-13, 05:23 pm
I think it's pretty obvious that the comments about the OP's mental health were meant in jest and that no one was seriously suggesting that the OP had mental health issues of her own.

With that said, what can be said about someone who witnesses their pig fall from their bed and rather than putting the pig somewhere safe so it doesn't happen again, repeatedly puts the pig back in the position to injure itself two more times by falling off the bed then is confused about why the pig won't eat? Lack of common sense? Perhaps. Irresponsible? Maybe. I do wonder if maybe this has happened before.

I'm glad she is taking the pig to the vet and I'm curious about what the vet said.

madelineelaine
02-11-13, 05:36 pm
I don't know if I misinterpreted something, but I don't take the 'mental health accusations' to heart. No one here (to my knowledge) meant to imply that she has a mental disorder. It was meant to show how outrageous that scenario is. And I don't believe it's bullying.

Yes some of the comments were less then nice, but honestly, what else is expected? We are a community of animal lovers who go to great (and sometimes extreme) lengths to protect our animals and raise awareness. Everyone (I should hope) on this forum wants the best for animals. And to see someone put their animal who is so delicate and fragile, in such an inappropriate situation not once, not twice, but three times? How can you expect people to not get heated over it.

That being said, I would like an update from the OP but I doubt she'll want to come back.

Kermit_Koeller
02-11-13, 05:42 pm
You don't take it to heart because it wasn't said to or about YOU. It doesn't matter how anyone "meant" it. It was said. No one knows how it is interpreted. This girl might take it to heart and nobody has any way of knowing. That's the point. And again, getting heated is expected, but name calling and accusations , literal or otherwise, are not.

_Cass_
02-11-13, 05:48 pm
I think it depends on the kind of person the OP is. If I was the OP, I wouldn't take it to heart at all. I have a sibling who is very dear to me with a few mental disorders, and I doubt she would even perceive it in a bad way. But again, it all depends on the person it is being said about. I don't think anyone was trying to be mean at all with their posts.

That being said, yes some of the posts were out of line and could have been avoided, and I apologize to the OP if they were offended. It's just some people can get pretty heated when the hear an animal is being mistreated, even if accidentally.

CavyMama
02-11-13, 05:49 pm
We are not responsible for how someone interprets what we say. Are we supposed to pat the OP on the head and say, "Good job" for repeatedly putting her pig in harm's way? Absolutely not. As pig lovers, we are appalled that it happened at all. As others have said, we will not sugar coat our responses. Perhaps, though this might be wishful thinking, the OP will take the comments and learn that it's not a good idea to allow your pig to fall off the bed three times.

lissie
02-11-13, 05:54 pm
I think people are too quick to jump to conclusion. None of us know how high her bed is. It could have been a thin mattress on the floor (6 inches), or a thick mattress on the floor (12 inches), or a complete bed on a box spring and bed frame. The thing is, nobody knows. The OP has said she is taking her pig to the vet. Why not ask the questions without assuming?

madelineelaine
02-11-13, 05:57 pm
Kermit_Koeller

Off topic, but I beg to differ. I've struggled with judgment, stigmatize and general hatred my whole life. I know exactly how it feels.

I agree with Lissie, why not wait and see if the op elaborates before jumping to conclusions.

asnnbrg
02-11-13, 05:59 pm
thank you @Aleks (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=25470) . Call her out, tell her she was wrong. Fine. But to BULLY her by saying she has mental health problems and LAUGH about it puts YOU out of line as well. And Aleks is right. Maybe she ACTUALLY has mental health problems that you just LAUGHED at her for. That goes even beyond bullying. Just plain mean. And @Megaredize (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=25886) is right too.

Megaredize sure did call everyone on this thread a bully, didn't she, and you think she's right? Wow. I grew up with a severely mentally ill mother, and I would never mock anyone for having mental illness, and I certainly do not find mental illness a laughing matter. I wouldn't joke about an animal having a mental illness, and I wouldn't joke about a person having one, just like I wouldn't joke about a person having cancer.

I did not bully the op. That's all I'm saying on the matter.

CavyMama
02-11-13, 06:08 pm
I think people are too quick to jump to conclusion. None of us know how high her bed is. It could have been a thin mattress on the floor (6 inches), or a thick mattress on the floor (12 inches), or a complete bed on a box spring and bed frame. The thing is, nobody knows. The OP has said she is taking her pig to the vet. Why not ask the questions without assuming?

Hmmm maybe but I think people's assumption came from the OP mentioning several things that would indicate the pig was injured:

I think he might've injured his mouth on one of his falls. Yesterday I noticed a funny hop in his step or limp. I pointed it out and someone said he thought there was a bulge on his side.

Agrimony
02-11-13, 08:43 pm
I'm glad you were able to bring him to the vet right away and I really hope he's ok! Please update us when you know. In the future if you want to sit in bed with your pig I'd suggest that you be sure to hold him the whole time so he can't run. If he is so skittish that he always runs I'd recommend sitting on the floor with him. If after doing that for a while he calms down enough that you can hold him on the bed then that's good, but I wouldn't let him sit next to you, I'd recommend holding him so he cannot get away and hurt himself. As a prey animal he may never calm down to that point, some pigs are very skittish. One fall is a lot for a pig and they can seriously hurt themselves, so multiple falls is very bad and I'm worried. He's in my thoughts so please update when you can!

Ghost_Peanut
02-12-13, 06:55 pm
My conclusion: There is ambiguity to communication, especially virtual communication.

Look objectively at the facts. It's never safe to assume anything.

As for the OP: your description of the incident was too vague for /anyone/ to give you any /useful/ advise.
Possibly elaborate more? Especially on your past relationship with this pig?

SheWolfSilver
02-12-13, 07:16 pm
No one in this thread has asked the first question that popped into my mind - has she had the pig on the bed with no problems in the past? I think that is an important thing to know before drawing any conclusions. Although I wouldn't go so far as to accuse anyone of bullying as others have, I do think there is a tendency to rush to judgement with incomplete information in this forum. Ummmm actually I did ask. My exact words were: Have you had your guinea pig on the bed with you before now? Then I explained that guinea pigs are prey animals and I would never do this and then if the guinea pig fell off the bed I certainly would not repeat the process.

nicoleb
02-12-13, 11:44 pm
I myself have a couple of mental health problems such as depression, very bad anxiety and a few other things, and I think it's messed up that you guys are saying that she has mental health problems AND THEN LAUGHING ABOUT IT and saying things like "good one" and "best post here".
Seriously, you don't know that she has any problems like that, and if she does do you really think making fun of her because of it is going to make those problems any better? Because in my experience, being teased about having MH issues has always made things much worse.

I can really relate. I have mental health issues, so it becomes a pretty sensitive issue when people basically point and laugh. And mental illness does NOT equal ignorant, which is being implied in this case.

People: Think before you type, stuff like that can really hurt people.

PigPandemonium
02-13-13, 12:20 am
No it wasn't right for her to let her pig jump off a bed multiple time, however I also think that people should not have been joking that she might have a mental illness. Just as someone said before, that's like joking that she might have cancer or joking that she might be in a wheel chair, it's just not right and there is no need to joke like that. Having a mental illness is a horrible thing, though it also doesn't mean you neglect your pigs and let them jump off beds.

foggycreekcavy
02-13-13, 09:44 am
This is getting ridiculous.

If anyone wants to discuss how mean people are, feel free to start a thread in the Kitchen.

It's obvious the OP isn't returning. I am closing this thread.