PDA

View Full Version : My guinea isnt getting better, please help!!!!

Diamondarcade
02-09-13, 09:18 pm
Okay so thank you for reading this, last Sunday my guinea started acting weird, and slowly stopped eating over the next few days, so then we got worried because he stopped pooping and took him to the vet. They did a full exam, clipped his teeth and said aside from the watery/gunky eye and the fact that his left molar was a tad too overgrown (he assured me no damage was done to the mouth), he appeared very alert and healthy. They gave him a vitamin C shot and put him on Baytril .3ml for two weeks and this was Thursday night and we started critical care because he wasnt eating. Yesterday he seemed perky, was even pooping better and more regular, even eating and drinking again (a little) then last night into today he stopped eating on his own and doesn't want the critical care anymore, even though yesterday he was pulling for it.

I had a friend who worked at a pet store come over and he examined him too and said his anal sac was dirty and he was a tad bit bloated probably because he hasn't pooped much today. Now we are going to clean his sac soon but I am just worried that he isn't getting better. The vet said it has only been two days and we should give him space to get better but it is hard for me to see him not eating and drinking when he was such a pig before lol when you out food in his face, he appears interested but just nibbles on it and never bites down and chews anything but the enthusiasm is there and I have been told by numerous different people that its not his mouth or teeth, so then what? I am just scared if I leave him be he will just let himself die..

Sorry about the long post and thanks for anyone's help!!

bpatters
02-09-13, 09:59 pm
It sounds to me like your vet only trimmed the incisors. They almost never need trimming unless something is also wrong with the molars, and the fact that he's interested in food but can't eat indicates that's the case. I'd make sure I had a good exotic vet (don't bother with a dog-and-cat vet) and ask for a thorough examination of the molars, including dental xrays to check for elongated roots. I don't know how those "numerous people" know it's not his mouth or teeth -- you can only do an adequate dental examination with buccal pad separators or other tools to see inside the mouth.

He must eat, or he'll die. If he's not eating on his own, you'll have to hand-feed him. See http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html for instructions on how to do that. If you can't get him to eat hay and vegetables, you can syringe-feed him a slurry of pellets, or Critter Be Better or Critical Care.

Good luck with him, and keep us posted on how he's doing.

Diamondarcade
02-10-13, 09:49 am
I am trying my best to find a good vet that is open today. Most of them that are do not have an exotic veterinarian on hand. , my guinea wants nothing more to do with the critical care and hand feeding him does not work either, he squirms so much it is impossible to get a syringe in his mouth. I am falling apart here, I have been up with him for days to try and comfort him and feed him, he was doing so well too and just stopped. And now he sits in his house and makes me low gutteral grunting noises for long periods of time and I have no one to call and ask about it because no one has an exotic vet working today. What can I do? Thanks for the advice in advance

bpatters
02-10-13, 11:39 am
You can read the handfeeding instructions on GL in the link I posted. Wrap him like a burrito so he can't squirm out backwards, hold his head firmly with one hand. and insert the syringe with the other. He won't like it, but it's absolutely necessary that you get food into him. There's a saying that "a guinea pig that isn't eating is a guinea pig that's dying," and there's a lot of truth to that.

The food needs to have fiber in it, so at the least make sure it's got ground pellets, if not one of the other products I mentioned. Mix anything with it that will tempt him to eat it. Baby food vegetables, plain canned pumpkin, finely chopped cilantro or parsley, anything, really, that he'll eat just so long as you don't overdo the sugar.

There are plenty of exotic vets in NYC. You can look at Guinea Pig Cages, Care, Shelters, Veterinarians - Guinea Pig Zone (http://www.guineapigzone.com), or at http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html, or google "exotic vets NYC" without the quotes. A weekend vet visit will be expensive, but this is an emergency.