Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Foster pigs!

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
I am happy to say that I am fostering two baby (3 wks old), male pigs from a humane society. They called me today and said I could pick them up Saturday. The horrible thing is, the lady from the foster program told me that the pigs are being feed rabbit pellets. That they are being kept in small store cage, and that they are feeding the 3 week old males orchard grass and little veggies (if any at all). They said that the city does not give the shelter enough funding so that they can feed them proper food. She also told me that a lot of the veggies that the pigs and rabbits do get come from the volunteers own pockets.

She was also trying to tell me that rabbit pellets are totaly fine for the pigs to eat (we all know that that is not true). I feel like there is an education opportunity on the horizon! The lady from the volunteer program also said that she keeps the rabbits with the G-Pigs, and that they are fine living together. I did not say anything to her, I did not want to upset her (I still need to break the babies out of "jail"). I have to give HUGE kudos to rescues that take in the pigs and care for them properly.

What is even more scary, is she had only talked to me for 2 minutes on the phone and asked me when I could come pick them up. She did no type of screening, no questions about my living situation, ect.. I just found this to be upsetting and needed to vent. I am sure there are other shelters out there that provide good quality care (my male, I got from a different humane society, did). It just makes me a little mad that they would take in these animals, give them to who ever, and not have proper screening/care for them. :0(

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
It sounds like this shelter doesn't even know how to care for cavies very well at all. They obviously don't care what happens to the guineas. When you pick the foster pigs up, have a look around and drop little hints on why rabbits shouldn't be kept together, and what food must be fed to guineas etc. If all else fails, just come right out and say that they are not being treated right.

If they haven't got the funding to look after the animals, the shelter shouldn't even be open at all, in my opinion.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
The shelter is probably trying to do the best they can in their situation, and it sounds like they need a "guinea pig expert" to point them in the right direction.

I think the best thing to do would be to bring guinea pig literature with you and try to *politely* educate them on guinea pig care. The sad truth is that most shelters have to house small animals in small pet store cages because of space and/or expense issues. Many shelters use the cages that are donated.

What is wrong with orchard grass hay? Vegetables are expensive, there are not many shelters who can afford to feed vegetables on a regular basis.

If they do not have any screening process for adopting a small mammal, then maybe you could help them come up with a small mammal adoption application.

Try not to get too upset with them, they are animal lovers who are trying to help; and their guinea pig care is probably based on ignorance.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
That's fair enough - I didn't mean to sound too harsh. It's difficult to understand without actually knowing anything about these shelters and how they work. But good for you, Funnygpigs, for fostering the 2 boys!

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
Thatnk you. I do think I will bring them some ifno and politley say,"here just in case you have time, some good info." She is one of those type of people that know it all no matter what you say. I am just going to do the best I can.

Bunnyluv, the orchard grass, I thoght babies were suppose to have alfalfa. Maybe I am wrong? :0( I do give them kudos for doing the best they can with what they have. It is a city run humane society. The funding comes from the city. There actually is another shelter in the area that is worse with there pigs. They euthinize them if they are ill. :0(. They do not use foster homes either-now that is bad! The whole thing makes me feel bad. Thank you for all your replys to my post Cavy-cool, bunnyluv. :0)

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
When giving out info. The shelter I got 2 of my pigs from, gave me this website, GL and one more which at this time I cannot remember. Everyone I speak with now about GP's, including the vet, I give this site and GL to them. I believe, thru word of mouth and these awesome websites, piggies everywhere will benefit.

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
I agree. Thank you. :0)

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
funnygpigs. Maybe you could find a cavy rescue close to the shelter and tell the shelter if they recieve anymore pigs that they cannot take care of properly, they can take them to the rescue. It's just an idea.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
Babies should have alfalfa, but they can also be fed grass hay at the same time. At least the shelter is giving them some sort of hay.

Funnygpigs said:
Bunnyluv, the orchard grass, I thoght babies were suppose to have alfalfa. Maybe I am wrong?

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.