Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching Does hair loss cause itching?

GuineaGoose

Cavy Slave
Hi~
My guinea pig has been balding at her sides for a while now. We have taken her to the vet, he said she has Cystic Ovaries. But, I've noticed for the past few weeks she has been scratching quite a bit. When we went to the vet, we told him this. He said he didn't see any fleas or mites. She didn't have any bites or anything like that. Last Friday, my sister and I found a flea on her. But since then we have not seen anything on her. We bought some flea/tick control spray. Since we've yet to see anything else on her, I am not sure if we should spray her with it.

I am very concerned with her scratching. Though, I am not sure what is causing it. Is it her hair that is bothering her? I know on humans stubble itches a lot, could this be what is causing her itching or something else such as ticks/fleas? Should I spray her with the thing we bought even though we don't see anything?

Also, she is scheduled for a spay this upcoming Tuesday, I thought that would help with the hair growth itching. I'm not sure what to do until then though, I can't stand to see her scratching. :(

The spray we bought: (broken link removed)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, don't spray her with the flea and tick spray. Guinea pigs groom themselves, and will ingest whatever compound is in the spray. Given their delicate digestive tracts, I wouldn't recommend putting anything on them that they can possibly get in their mouths.

The hair loss, especially from ovarian cysts, will not cause itching. In any case, until she's spayed or otherwise treated, it's not likely to be growing back at this point. She may have dry skin, since it's winter (I'm assuming you're in the US), but it's more likely to be mites.

You could get the vet to give you some ivermectin when you take her in for the spay -- there should be at least three doses, given a week apart, and he can give you the other two to give at home. Or you can treat her yourself -- see https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html and follow the ivermectin links.

Just don't let the vet do a skin scraping for mites. It's painful for the pig, and misses the mites half the time. The usual procedure is to treat for mites anyway, even if the scraping is negative, so save your pig and your pocketbook the pain and just tell the vet you don't want a scraping done.

Where would she come in contact with fleas or ticks? Is she housed outside?

GuineaGoose

Cavy Slave
I do live in the US. I will ask the vet about the ivermectin! Do I just ask him to treat with ivermectin? If she doesn't have any, will that cause her to get sick?

She looks nothing like those pictures in the link you posted. Okay, thanks. I won't let him do the skin scraping.

I'm not sure where she could have gotten the flea. She and her cage buddy are kept inside.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, as long as she weighs over 350 grams, which she surely should at her age, she can be safely treated with ivermectin. I'd just tell the vet that she's scratching quite a bit, and you'd like to have her treated for mites.

I see a red flag here, though. Mites can't be seen with the naked eye, as they burrow into the skin. I'm not sure I'd trust a vet who said he didn't "see any mites," and I'm real sure I wouldn't want him operating on my pig. Is this an exotic vet with experience in guinea pigs? Dog-and-cat vets get very little education and exposure to exotic pets while they're in vet school, and most reputable ones will refuse to see guinea pigs.

GuineaGoose

Cavy Slave
Okay, thanks.

Now I am worried about the operation. Yes, it is an exotic vet. I'm not sure what to do now. :< I don't know any other exotic pet vets in my area.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Maybe he just meant he didn't see any evidence of mites (broken skin from scratching, V-shaped pattern of hair loss over the rear end, etc).

GuineaGoose

Cavy Slave
I think that is more of what he said, in any case, I will ask him to treat her for mites. Should I get her cage mate treated as well?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yes, you should treat all your pigs at the same time.

GuineaGoose

Cavy Slave
So, I got the Ivermectin today. It says I must give one .22 and the other .20. Do I have to dilute this like it says on the guinea-lynx website?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
What ivermectin product did you get? The application method depends on the type.

GuineaGoose

Cavy Slave
I got it from my vet, they told me to just give to them orally every 7-10 days, for 8 weeks.

bguardguy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hope things get better for your little piggie baby!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer

GuineaGoose

Cavy Slave
Thank you both.

She got her sugery done early Tuesday. She has not been eatng her pellets very well. We have to hand her the hay so she eats. Is this normal? It's been maybe 12 hours since her surgery. We gave her the pain medication. She doesn't move much. I'm worried! (Even though it hasn't even been 24 hours.)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yeah, that's a good one. What's the dose?

GuineaGoose

Cavy Slave
Yeah, that's a good one. What's the dose?
.07ml is the dosage, she seems to be perfectly fine now. She eats, drinks water, and poops. She moves around more, so I assume she is much better now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.