PDA

View Full Version : Cage Cubes at PetCo

mamattorney
02-06-13, 11:55 am
I saw cubes (of C&C cages) at PetCo today. They are its own brand and a bit larger than regular cubes (18in square). They are overpriced compared to regular cubes, one package is $35 and you would need two packages to build a large enough cage, but for less than the large (but still too small) Kaytee rabbit cage, you could buy two packages would make up to an 18 sq ft cage. A 3 x 2 of this type is 13.5 sq ft. A 2 x 2 would be 9 sq ft. The cubes look baby proof, too, which may be more relevant than you'd think if you are buying a guinea pig at petco ;) Here's the link - turns out they are cheaper online: http://www.petco.com/product/117878/Petco-Premium-Guinea-Pig-Playpen.aspx?cm_mmc=CSEMGoogleAdExtProd-_-Small%20Animal-_-Petco-_-1448536&mr:trackingCode=7531A40F-AE84-E111-B2BE-001B21A69EB0&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=28808554915&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=22567628995

Anyway, even though they are clearly trying to make buck on the cubes, I consider it great progress to have them available right at a pet store.

Carissa6729
02-06-13, 01:16 pm
Yay, I was just mentioning this awhile back how they could make a profit off selling some cubes to advertise a "proper" cage instead of the ridiculous things they try to send you home with. People easily spend $100+ on their tiny cages, so I see no issue with charging about the same for something that will at least give them space and get them on the right track. Hopefully they'll start selling some sort of base as well.

mufasa
02-06-13, 01:55 pm
That's progress, but I sure wish they'd advertise them for building cages rather than as a playpen. Even though they're overpriced, so are pretty much all pet store cages. People who buy small animals on impulse seem to grab all the supplies without shopping around. Now I just hope they'll go a step further and make some sort of C&C kit.

LithiumRiot
02-06-13, 01:58 pm
It does seem a bit overpriced, seeing as I got more than enough grids to make my cage (3x4) from a pack of grids I got from somewhere on sale for $20, but I guess it is a step above what they have been doing.

Are the squares in the grids correct sizes? O_o

kltohlman
02-06-13, 02:11 pm
Yay! I've really Been hoping to see a change,it's small but it's a start!

mufasa
02-06-13, 02:36 pm
Weird. I just noticed there's a pet store cage in the background of the photo on the package. It looks like the grids are maybe connected to the cage in the photo. I wish it weren't there because that just reinforces the "fact" that this should just be a playpen, not the permanent living space.

kltohlman
02-06-13, 02:38 pm
Weird. I just noticed there's a pet store cage in the background of the photo on the package. It looks like the grids are maybe connected to the cage in the photo. I wish it weren't there because that just reinforces the "fact" that this should just be a playpen, not the permanent living space.

I just sent petco an email regarding that asking to see further change in their little cages and more stuff like c&c and of course urging whomever to check out Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home (http://www.guineapigcages.com) and the forum that goes with it

mamattorney
02-06-13, 02:58 pm
If you look at the petco website link you can see the other side of the box just shows a gp in the grids - no additional cage. But that's too small - only 4.5 sq. feet. I took a picture of the back because it showed how it truly is a package of cubes, with the connectors and everything. PetCo is a business. It would love to sell you a cage and a package of cubes I'm sure.

They aren't square grids at all, they are more like skinny rectangles; You can zoom in on the link and look. They are definitely made for small animals, you wouldn't make a bookshelf out of them.

Tensonstar
02-06-13, 03:21 pm
i email there trying to encourge them to sell the cages, maybe even fleece, I love they way there going with this but still need a little more. I think if everyone send them a messages they jest might sell better size cages

Megaredize
02-06-13, 03:56 pm
that is pretty cool but for that price it should cone with 10 grids which would be perfect for a 2x3 and then if you want bigger buy another set. But im sure it is still cheaper than buying a "deluxe" cage for guinea pigs from any pet store.

PeeweesPiggyPalace
02-06-13, 04:20 pm
I personally think that that is a horrible price! Plus all items people make are made to fit the 14" cubes. Prices on the cage store are better by far and all the work is done for you! Coro and all! And you can get them with storage underneath!

mamattorney
02-06-13, 04:50 pm
The big difference is that if someone is buying a guinea pig at the pet store, they can now leave the pet store with an appropriate sized cage for $70. They may still need coro ($25) or a shower curtain ($5) or something else underneath, but the ability to have the space is there - right next to the guinea pigs; with a picture of a guinea pig right on the box.

I think people are prepared to spend that kind of money when they buy a guinea pig. I don't think the cost would put people off; in my opinion, what puts them off is paying $70 for a cage, then finding out that it's not a good size and having to spend another $85 (a 2 x 4 shipped to me from the cage store). They aren't thinking of the price of each cage itself; they are thinking that they are paying $155 to house their guinea pig and they may be reluctant to make the second purchase.

asnnbrg
02-06-13, 04:55 pm
The big difference is that if someone is buying a guinea pig at the pet store, they can now leave the pet store with an appropriate sized cage for $70. They may still need coro ($25) or a shower curtain ($5) or something else underneath, but the ability to have the space is there - right next to the guinea pigs; with a picture of a guinea pig right on the box.

I think people are prepared to spend that kind of money when they buy a guinea pig. I don't think the cost would put people off; in my opinion, what puts them off is paying $70 for a cage, then finding out that it's not a good size and having to spend another $85 (a 2 x 4 shipped to me from the cage store). They aren't thinking of the price of each cage itself; they are thinking that they are paying $155 to house their guinea pig and they may be reluctant to make the second purchase.

I agree. Lots of people are already spending at least that on pet store cages that are nowhere near large enough, so I have no doubt they'd be prepared to purchase this, which is far closer to the proper size cage. I think it's a huge step in the right direction.

Yamiko
02-07-13, 03:59 pm
I got my cube from Bed, Bath & Beyond (I think I got it for $19.99 for like 8 cubes... I used their 20% of an item coupon :D). My Costco doesn't carry the cube.

Coughingcolours
04-14-13, 05:23 pm
[ATTACH=CONFIG]47490[/]

This is actually what we use as a cage for the girls. We bought two packs, and their current cage is a 2x4 with them.
They're nice, babyproof, and my little bar biter doesn't chew on it! (i think because the bars are so close together. But like you guys already pointed out, very expensive. And we knew that when we got it. I just couldn't stand them not having very much room, and we didn't want to wait for shipping. The one thing that socks is that I have to pry the bars open to make their hay rack fit.

R5 plus
04-14-13, 05:59 pm
Wow, I can't believe it has taken them this long to even begin to move towards C&C cages. I would think that pet supply companies would have employees lurking on these forums to read about owner's wants, needs, and ideas...and then supplying those things in their chain stores.

Having said that, glad to see a step in the right direction.

petgal49
04-14-13, 06:16 pm
Coughingcolours I love your cage!!! I would love to have mine open like that but I have cats! They are senior citizens and have no interest in my guinea pig but you can never be too careful!!

Coughingcolours
04-14-13, 06:34 pm
Coughingcolours I love your cage!!! I would love to have mine open like that but I have cats! They are senior citizens and have no interest in my guinea pig but you can never be too careful!!

Thank you, it's my first c&c!! What you see in the picture is actually pretty much all of the floor space in the room I share with my BF. But it's definitely worth it.

Coughingcolours
04-15-13, 12:34 pm
It does seem a bit overpriced, seeing as I got more than enough grids to make my cage (3x4) from a pack of grids I got from somewhere on sale for $20, but I guess it is a step above what they have been doing.

Are the squares in the grids correct sizes? O_o

They are more like small rectangles. The gris itself is actually bigger though, which was another thing I liked about the package.

But, like I said, still not really worth all the money. But convenience is convenience.

lunarminx
04-17-13, 07:50 am
They are more like small rectangles. The gris itself is actually bigger though, which was another thing I liked about the package.

But, like I said, still not really worth all the money. But convenience is convenience.

Agreed, now if only the set up a C&C cage for the GP display. I mentioned that at Petsmart to an assistant manager. Unfortunately it would have to come to all the stores and from headquarters she said.

Coughingcolours
04-17-13, 01:01 pm
Agreed, now if only the set up a C&C cage for the GP display. I mentioned that at Petsmart to an assistant manager. Unfortunately it would have to come to all the stores and from headquarters she said.

In a perfect world..

One day I just really want to open a small animals pet supply store in my area. Petco is the only thing around here, unless I want to drive over an hour.
Sell grids, fleece, coro, etc. And I would REALLY love to set up C&C's inside, and turn it into a small rescue/rehoming service as well.
But I'm 20, poor, and have no idea how businesses work. So, it's pretty much just a pipe dream.