Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi I'm Kassie (:

Cavy_luver

Cavy Slave
I am 16 years old and have recently gotten my second piggy ever, ( I used to have one when I was 5) I got this one on the 29 of January and he's so adorable !! his name is nelson!' I would love tips on what I should do diet wise I have already written a diet plan that contains 1/2 cup of veggies a day. BUT please please experienced piggy owners give me advice.
thank you :)

WheekingPiggies

Cavy Slave
Welcome! There's a ton of great information on this forum! The basic guinea pig diet consists of unlimited hay, 1/8 cup of pellets, and one cup of veggies daily.

Cavy_luver

Cavy Slave
thanks i also have a problem with nelson peeing on me every chance he gets... he wont pee at all in his playpen or on the floor but the second i pic him up he always does....

Little One

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum! This is a great place for any questions you have!

My pig Herman likes to pee on me all the time! :yuck: I don't really know what to suggest to you about Nelson peeing on you, as I rarely get away from it myself lol. I usually try to wear old clothes, and have a blanket or towel between me and the piggy. The only rule of lap time is piggy butt stays on the towel!

I would love to see some pictures of Nelson though :)

Okiesmokes

Cavy Slave
You'll want to give the little guy one whole cup of veggies per day instead of 1/2. If you haven't taken a look at the food chart on this site yet, you definitely should. It'll help you figure out what to feed and how often. Offer unlimited hay 24/7 and feed 1/8th cup of pellets a day.. Not mixes with colored bits and seeds, just brown pellets.

When you hold him, try putting a towel on your lap so if he pee's it wont get on your clothes.

Remember to post pigtures :)

AppleBee

Cavy Slave
Nice to meet you! :D I usually just use a towel when I have them on my lap too! Besides protecting me from pig pee it can also work great as a hidey place when I fold the towel and it protects my son from accidental scratches when he wants her on his lap. :p

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Towels are like heaven as a barrier!!!!! The pee gets soaked up, but not close to you!!!! Welcome to the Forum. I'd love to see some Pigtures!!!

Cavy_luver

Cavy Slave
thanks so much for your kind advice! I will post some pigtures of him today ! and can he eat romaine lettuce every day and cucumbers ?? :)

Last edited:

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Welcome! I can sympathize with the pee problem because my Quinn loves to "christen" me every chance she gets. A thick towel is a lap time necessity in my household.

Are you planning to get a friend for Nelson? Most pigs are happiest with a buddy, although you need to be sure your cage is large enough, since boars need extra space.

bguardguy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
He can eat romaine lettuce everyday, however cucumbers should only be like every other day. Here is a nutrition chart that will really help you figure it out.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html#post254730

What I did was just get a bunch of those listed as everyday food(the yellow ones) I suggest about 75% leafy greens and then the rest just a mixture of stuff.

Caution. I have been told that romaine lettuce can cause what seems like calcium deposits in the urine. I am unsure about why this does this, or even if it does. This is just what I have heard. I would suggest red leaf or green leaf lettuce to take away from the confusion and potential shock or romaine pee just in case.

MandaC76

Cavy Slave
Welcome! We all like to put towels & old blankets on us with lap time because no matter the gender, they sure like to pee on us. I notice there are some signs with my piggies that tells me they want to pee. They start to make noise and back up...lol. I can't wait to see pigtures.

Oh, Kassie,

I love your name & Nelson's! One of my favorite residents where I work is Mr. Nelson, so I can't wait to see Nelson.

Last edited:

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
Hi,
Welcome to the forum. Your guinea pig must have bell pepper, and other various vegetables every day. Look on guinea lynx for information on diet and caring for your pig.
You should get nelson a friend. He needs company, and it will be better for his health and happiness in the long run if you get him a friend. The minimum space for two boar (male) guinea pigs is about nine square feet of floor space. Check out the home page on the guinea pig cages site for cage size recommendations.
See you around the forum soon :)

Cavy_luver

Cavy Slave
image.jpgimage.jpg this is my nelly noo! (nelson) i would love to get him a friend but im just not allowed to. I feel so bad for not being able to. So i make sure he gets extra cuddles <3. Dont hate me but right now i only have a cage that i bought from the pet store. i hate supporting pet store items such as their small cages but thats what i had to get while im making him a bigger and better cage. I looked up here on how to make one and the instructions are super easy! soon Nelson will be super happy in his new home :) . thanks everyone lol;)

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I'm glad you're expanding his cage, what a beautiful Abyssinian ! Oh gosh.

I'm going to pig nap him :shhh:

Cavy_luver

Cavy Slave
aww why thank you, I was wondering if he looked pretty for his kind ... and I guess he does :)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
He's very cute. You will learn a lot here.

Why aren't you able to get him a companion? It's not much harder to take care of one more, and they really need companionship of their own species.

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
Exactly @foggycreekcavy! One needs so much more attention than two or three pigs. They are more susceptible to illness when they are on their own.
A 2x4 cage will cater for two sows, and a 2x5 for two boars.

Little One

Cavy Slave
He is super adorable! Don't worry about the pet store cage for now, I for one started out that way too. The good thing is that you're upgrading. He will be so much happier with more room.

Cavy_luver

Cavy Slave
Ive begged my mom multiple times. But she keeps saying no. She didn't even believe me when I told her that the need veggies everyday. Shes not very cooperative when it comes to my pets.

Little One

Cavy Slave
My mom was like that too (when I was younger and lived at home). Even now she raises her eyebrow at me whenever I talk about the guinea pigs. She doesn't believe they get lonely, even though there is tons of stuff out there now that says that they need a friend. For now just keep doing what you're doing. Make sure you have some extra money set aside for vet bills, and a larger cage will make him way happier. If your mom sees how responsible you are with Nelson, maybe she will let you get another one in the future..(?)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.