Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General New piggy has a tail?!

Tensonstar

Cavy Slave
I get brought my new cuy mix Cali,sweetest girl ever, Home thanks to Cavy House of La Honda, and im pretty sure she has a tail its 1/4inch and theres definitly a bone in there i can wiggle it. So weird has anyone else ever seen this?!

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
Can you take a picture?

Tensonstar

Cavy Slave
i would but i dont have access to a camera right now! ill post one tomorrow then

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs do not have tails. It might be a bit of matting or a skin tag of some kind. A pic would def. help.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Do grease glands ever stick out at all? I was thinking maybe it was that. lol

MissJean

Cavy Slave
My Numa is built a bit awkwardly. You can feel a tailbone kind of sticking out more than normal and his back legs are positioned weird. They are father apart, as if he's squatting. He's been examined by two vets and none of them said anything negative about it. He can run and walk perfectly fine.

I figure he just has a bone deformity. I wonder if your piggy has something similar.

I hope bone deformities like these are not a sign of problems down the road!

Tensonstar

Cavy Slave
now that you say it, it might actually be matted fur, it feel like a bone tho! hahaha ill post a pic soon

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
I'd be interested to see that. First ever generation of pigs with tails!!!!! Its probably just matted hair though.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It sounds like mattered fur, I would love to see a picture of this "tailed" piggy anyways.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
My Numa is built a bit awkwardly. You can feel a tailbone kind of sticking out more than normal and his back legs are positioned weird. They are father apart, as if he's squatting. He's been examined by two vets and none of them said anything negative about it. He can run and walk perfectly fine.

I figure he just has a bone deformity. I wonder if your piggy has something similar.

I hope bone deformities like these are not a sign of problems down the road!

Both of my boys have this. It's like a tiny bony nub, you can't really see it but you can feel it if you put your hand there.

Now it's getting me a bit worried. Mine aren't otherwise different, just always had that little nub.

Ghost_Peanut

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It's quite possible your pig could have a tail. Some people are born with tails! It's rare, but it's possible.

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
Years ago my Oreo pig had a bone on the end of his back. It looked just like a little tail and it was so cute :) I took him to the vets and they said it was a bone deformity which can happen when guinea pigs are born. The rescue I adopted him from said that he has been that way since he was young, so there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Both of my boys have this. It's like a tiny bony nub, you can't really see it but you can feel it if you put your hand there.

Now it's getting me a bit worried. Mine aren't otherwise different, just always had that little nub.

Hm, well all of my pigs(4) have a little bump at the base of their spine. I don't think that is necessarily unusual. Numa's just sticks out noticeably farther.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Does your wag? Lol, both of my boys have litle waggy tails. It's cute mind you, but since everybody is like "no they don't have tails", just makes me wonder.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Does your wag? Lol, both of my boys have litle waggy tails. It's cute mind you, but since everybody is like "no they don't have tails", just makes me wonder.

Man, I'm really wanting pictures now. I think I might die if I don't see. Numa's a silkie covered in fur so I have not seen it wag. I have a feeling he's going to get a short haircut soon so he can be observed! ;)

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Haha, it's nothing you can really see, although maybe on Chocolate. It's like a nub under their fur, right past their boy manly bits up towards their grease gland (where their butt would be I guess), but when I hold them I can feel it moving back and forth.

Great, my pigs are freaks of nature...why do I always end up with the weird animals?

ETA: I'll see if I can get a picture to show anything.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
It's like a nub under their fur, right past their boy manly bits up towards their grease gland (where their butt would be I guess),

My boys have that. It's not a tail. Part of the lower part of the spine (on people, it's called the tailbone) lays along the back, then curves down at the rump and ends below that so the end of the spine (what would normally be called the tail on animals that have them) is well below where you feel the nub. What you might be feeling is the area that curves on the spine.

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
I really want to see your piggies' tails! My sows just have little tailless butts!

adelore

Cavy Slave
ok i would love to see it too. My thoughts, if it doesn't cause pain, they eat, play and wee & poo fine, nothing to worry about. Hey i once knew a lady, who back when we were in school was born with an extra "Pinky" finger, it wasn't full size, but it was a pinky finger nail and all. So who's to say...it happens. Doesn't change the piggie or the person...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.