Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction Impacted Piggy

petgal49

Cavy Slave
I have had an impacted piggy for a few weeks now and it is progressively getting worse even though I have been doing everything I can to help him out: he has a GREAt high fibre diet (however, he is eating less and less of it) bum bathes while I clean out his sac twice a day and I try to get him active to get his bowels moving but he has always been a lazy pig during floor time. What else can I do? I have very busy schedule as I am a nursing student and a part time job. I am worried I wont be able to keep up with his cleans as I have missed some due to 12 hour clinical days and then work. So I don;t really know what I am asking I just need some support as I am getting very tired of this impaction but I think once it comes it stays for life. I have had him for a year and a half and the Humane Society I got him from knew nothing about him except that he was an "adult". So I really do not know how old he is but I would guess around 3 maybe?

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I am sorry you're going through this. Unfortunately, I think the only thing to do with severe impaction is daily cleanings, which you seem to already be doing. Is there someone who you can teach to clean out his sac, so on days when you're busy you don't have to worry about him? Continue to make sure he's eating plenty of hay and getting lots of Vit. C. I'm sorry, I know it must be rough on both you and pig!

petgal49

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the reply ellisa. Anyone else?

Kritastrophe

Cavy Slave
Is he neutered? I've read a couple cases where getting them neutered can help alleviate some of that constriction down there that can cause repeat impaction. Might be something to discuss with your exotic vet. I also know having guinea pigs neutered can help prevent mastitis issues. It's something I've been considering doing with my boys, since they're still all fairly young, as a preventative measure.

https://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html discusses neutering as an option. "Boars that have been neutered rarely if ever experience impaction."

petgal49

Cavy Slave
Yes I have read that but I am just concerned that the anethesia would be too much for him.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Several people have said that regular exercise helps boars with impaction problems. Of course, if yours is like my two, you'd have to poke him with a sharp stick to get him to move during floor time.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
@bpatters that made me LOL

Does your pig have a large cage? Some pigs aren't into floor time. So maybe expanding the cage as big as you can make it, or making a temporary play pen, would be a good idea? Get little mr running around!

You've got to clean him daily, and I've read about inverting and flushing the sac for impaction too. Are you letting him eat what you clean out? He needs those vitamins for his gut.

petgal49

Cavy Slave
I have some sad news. He passed away early this morning :(
He was surrounded by love and he had a great life with us. I will miss him so much. stann2.jpg

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I am very sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, little pig.

Cavy Treenie

Cavy Slave
Rest in peace piggie. He looked a little old.

Kritastrophe

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry! You did a great thing trying to help him through his re-occuring impaction issues. He was very lucky to have you. Hugs from me and my piggies.

Murk21

Cavy Slave
What a sweet face. So sorry for your loss. :(

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
What a pretty boy. I'm sorry he's gone.

How did he pass away? Three years old is not an old pig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.