Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Cage size

Tedology

Cavy Slave
what do yall think of a cage size.47" L X 24" W X 14" H
Wire Spacing: 1" X 4"
Gauge: 12 & 13

its a Midwest open cage ....looks like yalls C&C but much cheaper....it even has flannel on the bottom and it is leakproff......here the cage..
Midwest Guinea Habitat Guinea Pig Cage - Guinea Pig Cage and Pet Cage from Petco.com give me yall input..thank you very much

I'm also interested in input, as I saw this on Amazon for a good price and the reviews are pretty good. :)

It works out to be about 8 square feet.

lissie

Cavy Slave

MandaC76

Cavy Slave
Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home This link shows the appropriate sizes for guinea pigs (1, 2, etc), so that would show you that 7.5 square feet is appropriate for one, and we all have researched that 2 guinea pigs are better as they are social creatures. I have bought grids with connectors for $20, Zip ties for $5, and found coroplast for $30 (white) and $35 (for a color), and I can make a 2X6 cage. Is that really cheaper than a C&C cage? They are fairly easy to make and clean. We have posts in the forum about the cage that you are interested in at Amazon where some of our members like them, but they do expand them because they are the minimum for one pig. I am by far not an expert, but I have been reading a lot. I was intimidated by the C&C and was looking for another option, but now that I have read all I have and received loads of encouragement, I am making my C&C and I feel a great sense of accomplishment. When you see the piggies running in a big space and popcorning all over the place because they are happy, it makes it feel even better.

Tedology

Cavy Slave
Lissie and Manda, thanks so much for responding. :) Much appreciated!

My concern is the area that a 2 x 5 C&C cage takes. 30" x 76". I simply do not have that floor space available. It seems like I would need a room JUST for the guinea pigs. :)

I do think I can manage a 30" x 60" space...but seeing as I would like to get two males, I'm guessing that's not doable (or, if by putting a loft type structure...does that allow for more square footage?).

I guess I could get ONE male, but then I'm told they do better in pairs.

I was thinking about hamsters, but I'm a cuddler, so I really wanted friendlier pets, and the lady at PetSmart told me that g. pigs are much friendlier than hamsters.

Again, I do appreciate the advice. :)

MicheleB

Cavy Slave
my husband is questionable about these cages....CAN THE PIGGIES GET OUT OF HERE, CLIMB THE WALLS...hes worried anout them getting out and chewing the house wires and oh boy Ill be in trouble

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
This cage is OK but the canvas bottom is a pain to clean IMO-I much prefer the plastic tray bottom. I replaced the canvas bottom with a coroplast type bottom.
The sides are also pretty flimsy. They are OK,but the grid sides or wire shelve units are sturdier sides if you make your own cage. I don't need the lid but I do have it and it's also flimsy.

I do have this cage and use it so I'm speaking from experience, not just visual opinion, but I also use a C&C cage. The C&C cage is a sturdier cage overall.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
my husband is questionable about these cages....CAN THE PIGGIES GET OUT OF HERE, CLIMB THE WALLS...hes worried anout them getting out and chewing the house wires and oh boy Ill be in trouble

I've had many pigs (my own and foster pigs) and none have ever climbed the walls or jumped out.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Lissie and Manda, thanks so much for responding. :) Much appreciated!

My concern is the area that a 2 x 5 C&C cage takes. 30" x 76". I simply do not have that floor space available. It seems like I would need a room JUST for the guinea pigs. :)

I do think I can manage a 30" x 60" space...but seeing as I would like to get two males, I'm guessing that's not doable (or, if by putting a loft type structure...does that allow for more square footage?).

I guess I could get ONE male, but then I'm told they do better in pairs.

I was thinking about hamsters, but I'm a cuddler, so I really wanted friendlier pets, and the lady at PetSmart told me that g. pigs are much friendlier than hamsters.

Again, I do appreciate the advice. :)

You're welcome.

A 30" x 60" space should be fine for two males, provided that they get along. Lofts do not count towards square footage.

Please don't get your piggies from PetSmart. Look for adoptable on petfinder.com and shelters near you. If you can't find them, search Craigslist or local classifieds.

lissie

Cavy Slave

I've only heard a few jumped or climbed out. Most of those cases involves male piggy trying to get into girls cage that are in the same room.

If your husband is worried. C&C can be made with lids.
(broken link removed)

Tedology

Cavy Slave
Thanks again, Lissie.

I sent you a PM about adopting, only because I'm also from the Bay Area...thought you may know of rescues in the South Bay. :)

Never thought to check petfinder.com

MicheleB

Cavy Slave
Last edited by a moderator:

MicheleB

Cavy Slave
[copyright materials removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yes, that cage works fine for a pair of pigs that get along well, as lissie already mentioned. Most males need more space than that.

For people unable to make their own cage, or unable to find the materials for a C&C, it's a fine alternative.

I would like to repeat here, though, that it is cheaper to make your own C&C Cage. Many people think C&C Cages are expensive, but if you find the materials on your own it can cost as little as $35.

MicheleB

Cavy Slave
yes my 2 females get along great....

lissie

Cavy Slave
Please don't copy and paste content from another website. You can link to the review.
Thanks

MicheleB

Cavy Slave
sorry didnt know we couldnt

MicheleB

Cavy Slave
Foggy is your cage homemade...and do you have pics?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.