PDA

View Full Version : Cubes and Coroplast in Holland??

juukie
02-25-02, 07:07 am
I was so enthusiastic when I saw the cages made with the cubes and coroplast. The only problem is that I can't find the cubes AND the coroplast here in Holland. I even contacted Staples in the US about the prizes of shipping the cubes to Holland, but that was REALLY expensive. I was hoping that someone would have a good idea or advice for me!
Thanks!
Judith

CavySpirit
02-25-02, 08:41 am
Wow! Holland. Well, you may have to go with organizational shelving instead of cubes. It's still a good option, just not quite as flexible.

Any luck on Coroplast, Corflute, or whatever? There must be sign stores in Holland, too. Have you tried them yet? Linoleum is an option if you can find Coroplast.

juukie
02-27-02, 03:53 am
Thanks for the suggestions.. I will try to find the Coroplast at a sign store here. I know that Linoleum is also an option, but that's really expensive. So I hope to find a better alternative. Thanks a lot anyway!!
I really think that there is a good market for the cubes and coroplast here in Holland, it's too bad that we don't have stores where these materials are sold!

CavySpirit
02-27-02, 09:11 am
If you don't have any luck with Coroplast and you have to go with linoleum, look for scraps and remnants. The size you need is barely enough to do even a small bathroom, so you may even be able to sweettalk a linoleum store into giving you a good piece of scrap for free.

Suzie
04-12-04, 02:43 pm
I was so enthusiastic when I saw the cages made with the cubes and coroplast. The only problem is that I can't find the cubes AND the coroplast here in Holland. I even contacted Staples in the US about the prizes of shipping the cubes to Holland, but that was REALLY expensive. I was hoping that someone would have a good idea or advice for me!
Thanks!
Judith
Judith,

Where in Holland are you located? My relatives are all over there. Mainly in Utrecht.

Favaux
10-06-04, 10:45 am
How did you do finding your materials in the end Juukie? I am a new owner of Fatty & Muffin only I can not find Cubes & Corroplast here in Holland. I checked out the Blokker yesterday and they had them last year only not much interest I guess as they no longer sell them. What did you end up using in the end?

Favaux
Schiedam, Holland

citronsoul
10-22-04, 03:13 am
Keep trying Blokker. I was able to find one here in Belgium that still had cubes left in storage.

Edited to say: I think I've been able to locate coroplast under the name "vikuprop." So I hope that helps if you're still looking for materials.

Favaux
10-22-04, 08:44 am
Hey good to know that the Blokker in Belgium still stock the cubes, will keep trying I guess. Could you tell me where in Belgium, perhaps I can visit during the weekend and pick some up. Thank you so much Citromsoul! Much appreciated! I live in the vacinity of Rotterdam, in the south so this could be handy. Could you give me a rough price? Thanks a million for the info.

Favaux

Keep trying Blokker. I was able to find one here in Belgium that still had cubes left in storage.

Edited to say: I think I've been able to locate coroplast under the name "vikuprop." So I hope that helps if you're still looking for materials.

citronsoul
10-22-04, 08:58 am
It's at a Blokker in Antwerp. Officially, they don't sell them anymore. But all the stores I've come across seem to have them. They're being used for the stores own storage or displays. This one Blokker, on Antwerp's main shopping street (the Meir) didn't need them anymore though. I got 12 for 5 euro. No connectors though. They didn't know where they were anymore, so I've used cable ties instead.

Favaux
10-23-04, 02:35 am
It's at a Blokker in Antwerp. Officially, they don't sell them anymore. But all the stores I've come across seem to have them. They're being used for the stores own storage or displays. This one Blokker, on Antwerp's main shopping street (the Meir) didn't need them anymore though. I got 12 for 5 euro. No connectors though. They didn't know where they were anymore, so I've used cable ties instead.

Hey thanks again, will try and get to Antwerp next week. Cross your fingers and hope that I get lucky! You're a star Citron! oh before I forget, is there a special name for these cubes?

citronsoul
10-23-04, 03:17 am
Hey thanks again, will try and get to Antwerp next week. Cross your fingers and hope that I get lucky! You're a star Citron! oh before I forget, is there a special name for these cubes?
Glad I could help :)

There's no special name, but I did print out a picture of them (the one from this site) & when I showed it they knew exactly what I meant.

citronsoul
11-25-04, 12:39 pm
I have a question for those of those of you in the Netherlands. I'm trying to find some decent guinea pig food. At the moment I can only find good alfalfa based food. But I can't find anything to give to adult pigs. I was looking on a few sites & noticed "Hope Farms" for guinea pigs. Is this any good? They don't have it here in Belgium, but I was considering ordering some if it's worth it.

And Favaux, were you able to get your hands on some cubes?

Favaux
11-25-04, 02:13 pm
I have a question for those of those of you in the Netherlands. I'm trying to find some decent guinea pig food. At the moment I can only find good alfalfa based food. But I can't find anything to give to adult pigs. I was looking on a few sites & noticed "Hope Farms" for guinea pigs. Is this any good? They don't have it here in Belgium, but I was considering ordering some if it's worth it.

And Favaux, were you able to get your hands on some cubes?
Hi there and good to read from you again, I have still not made it into Antwerp yet to collect my cubes...... have been snowed down with a million and one things though my two darlings 'Fatty & Muffin' are happy and well and eating like it's going out of fashion.

I was also thinking about your quest for good guinea pig food.......... If you have an idea of what type you require I can check around for you and get back to you with more info. I dont know if the good folk in Antwerp still have those cubes but I would appreciate it immensely if you could inquire for me. So when I do get down there I can pick them up and maybe I could bring you your guinea pig food as well. Let me know ok.

Cheers Cit.
Favaux

citronsoul
11-26-04, 06:43 am
No problem, I can ask them next week. How many would you need? (enough for a 2x4?)

I would really appreciate it if you could let me know what's in Hope Farms guinea pig food. I have no problem getting my hands on it via a website, but I'd like to know what's in it beforehand to see if it's worth it. Like if it's got alfalfa in it, or if it looks like it's got a lot of seeds in it. I've been trying to find a site which mentions the ingredients, but no such luck. There are two different types, "Hope Farms CaviaSuper Select" & "Hope Farms CaviaSuper Superkorrel."

It doesn't have to be right away because Phoebe still has a few months of growing to do & until then alfalfa based pellets is fine. So when you have time, Phoebe & I would be very grateful for a list of ingredients. Thanks :)

Oh yeah, send me snow if you've got too much ;) !!!

citronsoul
12-01-04, 10:48 am
Bad news i'm afraid. :( There are no more cubes left. Well, they're still there but now they're all being used for displays & they have none to spare. There's a Blokker I haven't been to yet that was suggested to me by an employee, but I can't guarantee they'll have them.

The only other thing that I can suggest is getting in touch with customer service. http://www.blokker.nl has the phone number & address of all stores. If they all had them last year, then there has to be some that still have them to spare.

Favaux
12-01-04, 04:21 pm
Hey and thanks for checking Citron, have called most of the blokkers here in Holland in my vacinity and they don't have them.... What to do????? I'll keep looking. Thanks. if you do come across them before me then I will need 3 sets as I plan on making my boys a two story home.

Kind Regards Favaux

ParanoidEv
01-03-05, 07:58 am
Someone said to me that they probably still have them at Leen Bakker. I am going to take a look at it asap!

citronsoul
01-04-05, 10:40 am
It's possible. They're owned by the same group that owns Blokker.

ParanoidEv
01-04-05, 10:40 am
I am going there tomorrow so I'll give you a report :)

Favaux
01-04-05, 11:08 am
Excellent! Thankyou so much!

FavauX

ParanoidEv
01-06-05, 04:35 pm
I asked and they haven't got any!! :(
I want to set up an online-mass-purchase, where everybody from Holland/Belgium can order some grids so the shipping will become affordable because we can split costs. Is there any interest in this?

citronsoul
01-07-05, 12:02 pm
Possibly! I'm going to be looking for some more sources, but if I don't find any I would definitely be interested.

ParanoidEv
01-07-05, 12:02 pm
If you are able to find some, even if it is in Belgium ( I live close to the border) please say so :)

citronsoul
02-09-05, 02:51 am
Still haven't found any. Well, I do find them but no one will sell them.

But Treen posted a UK source on another thread that also exists in the Netherlands.

www.kleeneze.nl

You have to ask them to send a catalogue & apparently one of their products is cubes. I haven't been able to order one yet, but I thought it might be interesting.

ParanoidEv
02-09-05, 06:47 am
I found them!! I can't believe it but I walked in the local Xenos today (probably familiair with everyone here?) and they had cubes! I didn't bought any because they are not 100% what I was looking for, because this ones don't have square grids, but a full metal 'raster' which it would be hard to see your piggies through, but maybe I'll go back and buy them anyway! It is a set which you can make 4 connected cubes with (I'm not sure how many grids that is but it would be enough for a big cage) and they sell for 19.95 euros!

Oh and I remember Kleeneze, they just started to do business in our neighbourhood, about a month ago. I never looked in their books but if I happen to find one in the mail, if they have cubes, I always can ask if you would like to order some with me?

I found a picture on the web, they are exactly the same
http://lnt.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pLNT-1086056_group_reg.jpg

citronsoul
02-10-05, 12:05 pm
There is no Xenos here, but I did look through their internet catalogue awhile back because they're part of the same chain as Blokker. I thought if Blokker no longer had them, another store from their chain would.

I've seen these in pictures & have heard that they're good for babies (no squeezing through grids.)

At the moment I don't need cubes, but I've just been looking all over the place trying to find a definite source. I was hoping that Kleeneze would/could be that source. But thanks for the offer though :)

ParanoidEv
02-15-05, 05:02 am
There is no Xenos here, but I did look through their internet catalogue awhile back because they're part of the same chain as Blokker. I thought if Blokker no longer had them, another store from their chain would.

I've seen these in pictures & have heard that they're good for babies (no squeezing through grids.)

At the moment I don't need cubes, but I've just been looking all over the place trying to find a definite source. I was hoping that Kleeneze would/could be that source. But thanks for the offer though :)I've got the cataloge again today, and yes, Kleeneze has them! Plain white cubes, 13 to be exact. They are a bit expensive, 27 euro's.

AuroraBorealis
04-06-05, 07:03 am
Hey everyone!

I bought my cubes at Blokker, but I know Kwantum also had them in stock a couple of months ago. Maybe it's worth a try checking it out.

The cubes aren't sold constantly at any of these stores, but every now and then they buy a huge quantity of them and sell them as a temporary article.

How about Coroplast? Did you have any luck finding it? I bought mine in Wijchen (near Nijmegen).

Ball Lightning
04-25-05, 08:13 am
After a horrendus seach, I found a product that resembles Coroplast! It's called Vikuprop, and is sold by Vink Kunststoffen B.V., a company that specializes in plastics and the like.

The sheets are very cheap (5-10 euro per sheet), they come in different thicknesses, but come in a small size: only big enough for 3x2 grid cages.

Just take a look, I swear it is the same material!

http://www.vinkkunststoffen.nl/Default.asp?ID=7184

PS: I would like to have some grids too! I'm searching and searching, without much succes still.... Have to check the Kwamtum and Xenos though.... If you have plans, please post them here! I would like to know about it!

Hope this brings us a step further to C&C cages :)

Piglet
04-25-05, 09:05 am
Heya ball. Regarding your pm... I was going to tell you to post in the netherlands section, but you already have! Have you considered wire shelving?

Piglet
04-25-05, 09:06 am
Oh, and yes that does resemble coroplast. Go for it.

AuroraBorealis
04-26-05, 02:52 am
Ball, when I was searching for Coroplast, I called Vink as well, but they told me they only sold stuff to companies, not to 'particulieren'. Where they willing to sell you the Vikuprop? It does look like Coroplast.

Any luck finding grids yet?

citronsoul
04-26-05, 09:45 am
Vikuprop is coroplast. It's identical, just a different name (check the first page of this thread. ;) ) I got my vikuprop from a sign store. You can ask vink for local stores they sell their vikuprop to, that's how I got mine.

That's a pity they don't make bigger sizes though. I recently got a hold of my local sign store to ask about a bigger sheet, but they said they didn't come any bigger. I had hoped that Vink could make them they size I wanted. I guess I'll be cutting & taping after all. *sigh*

Ball Lightning
04-26-05, 10:06 am
Ok, thanks. I overread the thing about you mentioning Vikuprop (didn't want to give the credits to myself). I just go to some sign store (IF I can find one) and do the same as you did. I think this can be done.

Now the only problem I still have is where to get the cubes. But I still have to look in some places, so all hope isn't lost yet :)

citronsoul
04-26-05, 10:28 am
Yeah, they're pretty hard to find. It's insane. Some places carry them & some don't. I've been to a Blokker that claimed they had never sold them, they were always used for only the store. Then another one I've been to said they used to sell them & would probably end up getting some more eventually.

And the problem is that there's no customer service number that I can reach them with. I'd love to just call Blokker up & say, "hello? people are demanding this product! Start selling it again!" :D

Your best bet is www.kleeneze.nl. or xenos.

Teria
04-27-05, 01:04 am
I'm still trying to find out if Plaza in Kiel sells them. If so, you might try this instead of ordering from the US. I'll keep you updated.

Teria
04-27-05, 01:15 am
Ack! I just called them and they were slightly surprised, as if they had never heard of cubes as shelf material. But a nice lady promised to try and find out if they store them. She'll call me back.

Ball Lightning
04-27-05, 03:09 am
Good to hear! I'm curious is she called back with good news!

I wrote Keeneze and the Vink company and awaiting the results. The sooner the better!

citronsoul
04-28-05, 09:24 am
I hope you find your stuff. If the coroplast isn't long enough, you can always tape two pieces together.

I did that yesterday to make a 2x4 & it worked out fine. You can't even tell that the cage is made out of two seperate pieces.

ParanoidEv
04-28-05, 02:14 pm
I don't know where you live, Ball Lightning, but they still sell the cubes in the Xenos here (Goes).

Teria
04-28-05, 02:45 pm
Argh. She called me back and said she had no success asking. Advised me to try a metal shop. How come people act like they've never decorated a store in their life? Sorry guys, I tried. :(

Ball Lightning
12-13-05, 01:03 pm
I did it! I have my own C&C now! How did I manage to do it? Well:

Cubes: search eBay for "wire storage cubes". You'll find lots of them, but only a few will ship to Europe. The shipping and handling costs are huge though: $25 for the product, $48 for S&H :eek:. For this price I got a nice number of 30 black grids with 30 connectors. With this I can make 2 2x4 cages if I want, and I will still have some grids left. Nice enough, I would say.
Cons: You have to have an eBay account, or know someone who had one. Plus you have to have Paypal. Fortunately, getting either account cost you no money.

Coroplast: Vikuprop is the name of the product that resembles Coroplast the most, but it is only sold to companies. So I had to find a company that buys from the manufactorer. I searched my ass out, hardware stores didn't heard of it, google didn't get me anything, I was desperate. Until I checked the list of this site again where to find it. It said sign stores... So I searched the yellow pages for "naamborden", and called the first store which happened to be a 5 minutes drive away from my place. I described the product, she didn't recognized the name, but reacted when I said the magic word Polypropylene. They had it!!! YES!!! They had some 100x140cm sheets (black) left from an earlies order, which they had spare. I could buy them for 7,50 euro (retail price for the company was 6, so I absolutely didn't feel ripped). It really was that easy.
Cons: They can't order whatever colour and numer you want for you, unless you are going to buy 25 sheets at once. So you have to be lucky if they got some spare. You have to take whatever colour they have. If they don't have any at that moment, just ask them to call you if they have. They get new orders frequently, so it wouldn't take too long.

All in all, I paid 63+15=78 euro for a 2x4 cage, with lots of options. I could make a 2nd level without paying extra, I could use the spare grids for fencing off the playground of the guys, I even could make a second 2x4 cage, if I buy some more sheets of Vikuprop.
I had a big pet store cage on my eye (140x75cm), but it costed 120 euro. Now I got a bigger cage for far less money, and it can be transported more easily, because I can break it apart and rebuild it at another place. Nice if you are going on a holiday and your mom has to take care of the cavies :)
The C&C cage is nice too, because you can split up in two if the cavies fight and really can't get along. Try splitting a pet store cage in two. That will be a LOT more difficult.

Conclusion: it can be done, you just have to know where so search.

AuroraBorealis
12-14-05, 06:34 am
Congrats on the new cage BL!
Please post a picture!

Ball Lightning
12-14-05, 09:53 am
Congrats on the new cage BL!
Please post a picture!

I will, but I'm waiting for some more grids to split the cage and add 2 small second levels. It wil take another month for them to arrive. But I will post if it's done :)

Ball Lightning
01-26-06, 02:50 pm
Well, I did it! The coroplast (Vikuprop) is indeed as sturdy as they say and it is actually very easy to handle! I uploaded 4 photo's for this moment. I'm very happy with the cage.

AuroraBorealis
01-27-06, 03:33 am
Oh, well done, BL! I love it! I like the colors you used. Do the piggers like their new home?

Ball Lightning
01-27-06, 05:22 am
Yep, they love it. It is nice to see that they move around all the time, instead of sitting and moving now and then. The hayloft is very well used, and they like to take a dive in the hay :) . I'm very glad I did the job and hope the cage will last forever (although I don't doubt that, it is very good material).

Ball Lightning
01-27-06, 05:27 am
Oh, by the way: instead of scrubbing for minutes to clean the cage, I'm done in 15-20 minutes all together! The dividing wall can be flapped away, and then it's just replacing everything (newspaper, towels, fleece). There is no pee leaking whatsoever (until now), so the coroplast bottom don't have to be cleaned. Also, it doesn't smell if you replace the fleece every 4 days with this size of cage.

AuroraBorealis
01-28-06, 12:48 pm
Yeah, it's so rewarding to see them running around in their new cage, isn't it?
Mine love their C&C too, my Doortje spends hours a day sleeping in the loft. She's so fond of her sleeping spot she chases all others that attempt to enter the loft away... she defends her territory with a vengeance lol.

Ball Lightning
01-29-06, 08:28 am
Hey, is it possible to post a picture of your cage also? Also with cavies, I like to see doortje :)

AuroraBorealis
01-29-06, 01:10 pm
Sure! Hope this works...

This picture is quite old, but unfortunately I don't have any recent ones and no digital camera. The cage still looks essentially the same though. My boar Indy is also in this picture, sadly he passed away last May. So there's only five of them now, all girls. Anyway, from left to right, clockwise, starting with the big black blob: Indy, Doortje, Louise, Buffy, Thelma and Lara, enjoying dinner.

http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/41c395dez1e9cc46f/f665/__sr_/f83e.jpg?ph4eR3DBEFrKl5fS

AuroraBorealis
01-29-06, 01:17 pm
Hm, Doortje is a bit invisible in that one, let's see if I can find a better picture...

http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/41c395dez1e9cc46f/f665/__sr_/c341.jpg?phguR3DBE_XmUE9T

Ball Lightning
01-30-06, 08:13 am
:( Both pictures can't be shown because of some error (bestand kan niet gevonden worden, kijk of u het juiste adres hebt ingevuld en probeer opnieuw...blahblah..)

AuroraBorealis
02-01-06, 11:19 am
Oh darn! They did show up when I tried the links to see if they worked! Errrrr, I'll try to figure out how to fix it, that may take a while though...

AuroraBorealis
02-05-06, 06:51 am
Okay now, let me try again. I think this is the link to my album in Yahoo photos. Both pictures are in the album and I added a few bonus ones :D.
Hope this works!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/judithk75/detail?.dir=f665&.dnm=f83e.jpg&.src=ph

citronsoul
02-06-06, 09:52 am
Great cage! I love all their little houses. It looks like a little village. The store I get my supplies from has similar types. But I think my boyfriend would kill me if I can home with even more hidey houses for the pigs. I've already got a closet stuffed with their supplies.

AuroraBorealis
02-06-06, 02:22 pm
Oh good, you can see the pigtures!
Thanks citronsoul! I'm really pleased with my cage. I have had it for a couple of years now and the piggers love it!

AuroraBorealis
03-14-06, 10:33 am
Hey Ball!

It seems your last post has vanished into thin air, so I'll just quote it here.

VERY nice cage! I love black cages! I also love black and red cavies ;)

Hey, I'm spreading the word of C&C cages on Dutch fora now, and also
introducing fleece there :) They all react astonished, but some are
extremely enthousiastic and are trying it for a trial period. I am on the
"nationale cavia forum (NCF), a pretty nice forum with 500 users (of
which around 200 are very active, but it's enough and much for Dutch fora).
Are you on any Dutch forum Northern Light?

Thank you for your compliments on my cage BL!
I'm not on any Dutch fora, I find it hard to keep up with all the posts on this one as it is, I just can't find the time. I'm going to take a look at the NCF though. Could you please give me the webaddress? I can't seem to find it (and neither can Google)... Thanks!

Ball Lightning
03-18-06, 12:31 pm
the website is www.caviaforum.nl (http://www.caviaforum.nl)

There are a LOT of breeders though, and I sometimes have to be quiet just to keep the great spirit of the forum high... I could use some reinforcements ;)

PS: if my last post vanished because of moderation, please let me know.

dutchpiggy
09-05-07, 12:28 pm
hi guys

I'm also from Holland, and looking for another way to build a great cage. Right now I have the biggest they had at the store, but I feel so sorry for my two boys.
Is there any other way to build a cage, I love the idea of beeing able to change the cage occasionally, like you can do with a C&C. I simply do not have the money to spend 80 euro's right now. Especially with a move planned soon.

any help would be welcome.

Princess Aurora
01-23-08, 09:14 am
Allright,

I see these posts are rather old but in case somebody is still there, I am also looking for a source of grids in Holland-Germany.

We live in Germany very near the dutch border, and we have been looking in different kind of stores, online shops and nothing.

I would really appreciate if somebody would show up here.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Aurora ^^