PDA

View Full Version : Will 8-12 inch sides be too high?

Zeander
07-27-05, 05:00 pm
Hey everyone. Right now our pigs' cage has the standard 6 inch sides and when they run around stuff flies out. It doesn't bother me now because I live with my mom, but when I have my own place I don't want litter all over the floor (heehee). So anyways, if I make the sides 8 or even 12 inches high would that be bad for my pigs? I would only make it that high on 3 sides and leave the front 6 inches.
I wish they had clear coroplast so I could see them better.

CactusCavy
07-27-05, 05:23 pm
Well, if you're leaving the front at 6 in., it shouldn't be too much of a problem. My cage used to have 8 in. sides at the front and back, with 4 1/2 in. ends (I was determind to have a 2x5 cage), BUT I had a cardboard lid going down about two inches, which meant my piggers only had about 4 inches of daylight. I've changed that now, down to 6 in., and have hayracks at either end that minimizes (not completely, though) the bedding spillage.

~Cactus

Zeander
07-27-05, 07:21 pm
Ya know what I just thought of? The littler doesn't fly through the top, it's the sides. So if I get those mesh cubes, the litter won't get on the floor. Right?

Slap Maxwell
07-27-05, 08:11 pm
They do make clear coroplast.

CactusCavy
07-28-05, 12:11 pm
I've never heard of "mesh" cubes, but yes, I suppose that will do. (There's nothing wrong with higher sides as I said before, it's just that if you have a lid like mine, it makes the inside rather dark and gloomy...:)

~Cactus

StrangeKat
07-28-05, 12:13 pm
Where do they have clear coroplast slap? I might want to get some of that myself. Can't you see the corrogated part through it?

pennick
07-28-05, 06:24 pm
I had my coroplast made with 8" sides and no shavings fly out.

cavy-cool-crazy
07-29-05, 05:51 am
On the 1st and 3rd levels of my cage, I have three 10-inch sides and one 4-inch side at the front. As long as there is plenty of daylight coming into the cage, three 8-12 inch sides should be fine.

CuteButShyPig
07-29-05, 07:44 am
Ya know what I just thought of? The littler doesn't fly through the top, it's the sides. So if I get those mesh cubes, the litter won't get on the floor. Right?

I have mesh cubes and they work wonderfully! The are a little costy though. I got a 4 cube set which had 17 grids If I can remember, and it cost 20 dollars. But it works great, and you can see through it as well as regular grids. Also in my opinion the mesh ones look better. Check them out on www.Linensandthings.com (http://www.Linensandthings.com).

Zeander
07-29-05, 02:02 pm
Thanks for the info, CuteButShyPig. The mesh ones do look cooler. I'd have to buy 2 boxes though... hmmm. Thanks for the help everyone, you are the bestest!