Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Will 8-12 inch sides be too high?

Zeander

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone. Right now our pigs' cage has the standard 6 inch sides and when they run around stuff flies out. It doesn't bother me now because I live with my mom, but when I have my own place I don't want litter all over the floor (heehee). So anyways, if I make the sides 8 or even 12 inches high would that be bad for my pigs? I would only make it that high on 3 sides and leave the front 6 inches.
I wish they had clear coroplast so I could see them better.

CactusCavy

Cavy Slave
Well, if you're leaving the front at 6 in., it shouldn't be too much of a problem. My cage used to have 8 in. sides at the front and back, with 4 1/2 in. ends (I was determind to have a 2x5 cage), BUT I had a cardboard lid going down about two inches, which meant my piggers only had about 4 inches of daylight. I've changed that now, down to 6 in., and have hayracks at either end that minimizes (not completely, though) the bedding spillage.

~Cactus

Zeander

Cavy Slave
Ya know what I just thought of? The littler doesn't fly through the top, it's the sides. So if I get those mesh cubes, the litter won't get on the floor. Right?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
They do make clear coroplast.

CactusCavy

Cavy Slave
I've never heard of "mesh" cubes, but yes, I suppose that will do. (There's nothing wrong with higher sides as I said before, it's just that if you have a lid like mine, it makes the inside rather dark and gloomy...:)

~Cactus

StrangeKat

Cavy Slave
Where do they have clear coroplast slap? I might want to get some of that myself. Can't you see the corrogated part through it?

pennick

Cavy Slave
I had my coroplast made with 8" sides and no shavings fly out.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
On the 1st and 3rd levels of my cage, I have three 10-inch sides and one 4-inch side at the front. As long as there is plenty of daylight coming into the cage, three 8-12 inch sides should be fine.

CuteButShyPig

Cavy Slave
Zeander said:
Ya know what I just thought of? The littler doesn't fly through the top, it's the sides. So if I get those mesh cubes, the litter won't get on the floor. Right?

I have mesh cubes and they work wonderfully! The are a little costy though. I got a 4 cube set which had 17 grids If I can remember, and it cost 20 dollars. But it works great, and you can see through it as well as regular grids. Also in my opinion the mesh ones look better. Check them out on www.Linensandthings.com.

Zeander

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info, CuteButShyPig. The mesh ones do look cooler. I'd have to buy 2 boxes though... hmmm. Thanks for the help everyone, you are the bestest!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.