Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels loft wobbly?

NewbieSooz

Cavy Slave
I have my 2x4 cage on a table top under an attic roof (that slopes). So when I built in a 1x2 loft, I had to attach it at 7" rather than on top of the 14" grids. I'd put a picture if I could work out how to do it.

So because the loft is attached 1/2 way up the grids, I had to use metal ties (like sandwich bag ties, but stronger), rather than the connections that came with the grids. When my piggies were young, they hopped up no problem, but they are 4 months old now and getting more heavy, so when they hop up now, the loft shakes. (it won't fall, don't worry, it just shakes)

The problem is I have support for the grids on all sides except the side they jump up. I wanted to prop it up from underneath with some wood, but haven't found any the right size yet.

So, how have people secured their lofts (especially if they are not 1 grid high, but 1/2 grid)?

Thanks.

I know some people use zip ties, a wooden support, a bent grid, and tape. The zip ties get wrapped a certain way, I can't really explain it. The wooden support is like a wooden handle from a shovel or something. It looks like this: https://www.rockler.com/product.cfm...campaign=PLA&gclid=CK75ic_Pi7UCFcsWMgodJm4AHw You den't need to get it from there but that is a good idea. Another is a grid that gets bent in a circle but that would be more for a 1 grid hight loft. The tape is not really a good use because pigs chew it and its not to good but if you need a quick, temporary fix, that would work I guess.

What if you put your pigloos under it. Or are they not quite tall enough.

Its kind of hard to explain, and I'm not sure of your exact cage set up, so it might not work but here it goes:
You could measure out a wooden board the size of that side of your cage that the loft is on. You could then secure it to the cage side, and it would be rock solid. This would prevent the loft tipping. I'm not sure if it would work for your set up, but I figured I'd give my input :)

I would remove it if your piggies are getting heavier. My boar injured his leg with the half height loft jumping up to it. Not sure what happened but we needed a vet trip and now I feel so guilty even though he's ok.

loft wobbly?loft wobbly?loft wobbly?loft wobbly?
I may have gone OTT with photos, but here's my piggie's pad! Pickle is chilling in the snuggle (pic1), and I'm amazed I got a pic at all of Chutney (3rd pc), as she usually hides under the loft. Both piggies are hiding under the loft in pics 2 and 4, as the flash scared them.

I don't have a pigloo,Wibbles, but I did hope to put the little wooden hut under the loft to support it, but it is 2 high. I am slowly cutting down the coroplast edges, as they are now 4 months old, but I have to put edging covers on all the low sections, as Chutney will gnaw her way through anything!

The brackets look like a great idea! will have2 look into that. I may just go for a chunk of wood though!

thanks,will give that a go!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.