Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Finding certain veggies in UK

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know where I'd be able to find these veggies in the UK?

• Swiss/Red/Bright-light Chard
  • Endive (in a bunch i.e. not in packaged lettuce mixes, which is what I'm resorting to now)
I've looked all over, but still haven't been able to find them!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Same here! I can only find Endive in a salad mix from Tesco's - it also has lambs lettuce and this other red lettuce in it. Trust me, I have looked in all the supermarkets and I can't find those two vegetables.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Glad to know I'm not the only one who can't find them! The salad mix I get is called Florrette's from Tesco; it's got endive, escarole and raddichio in it - in fact, Radicchio is impossible to find too, other than in those mixes. How do Ascot and Furlong like the lambs lettuce, Piglet? I've tried my 3 with it, but they weren't overly keen.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I get that one too! My boys hate it, they don't even touch it. That's why I don't really want to buy that mix because a 1/3 of it goes to waste.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I'm guessing that it's the Florette 'Crunchy Salad' mix? The 'Mixed Salad' has Escarole, Endive/Frisee and Radicchio in it which my pigs love. But still, if I can find a full Raddichio/endive, it would be tons cheaper!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Oh...There's two types? I'll tell my mum to get that one then when she goes shopping. I looked at one of your pictures in the gallery, and I get all that stuff too! You know the fresh greens? What exactly are they? Ascot & Furlong love them and they gobble them down, but I wanted to know the nutritional info on them.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Same here. I've looked all over, but all I can find about them is that they are also called Spring Greens or Cabbage Greens. So I looked up a picture of each of them, and they don't look at all the same. Hmm...

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Ok. I found out that the 'Fresh Greens' are just a different variety of cabbage leaf. So, in that case, I guess they can have them once or twice a week.

CattOfTheGarage

Cavy Slave
Supermarkets are hopeless for this sort of thing. We have a Tesco Extra the size of a small village near to where we live, but half the time it doesn't even have lettuce, and when it does, it's often iceberg. Pak choi? Endive? Forget it!

You need to go to a big greengrocer if you can find one near you, the organic faffy hippy types are good for variety. I don't know where you guys are but if you happen to be anywhere near Glasgow, Roots & Fruits on Great Western Road is great for a variety of veggies; so is the Peckham's greengrocer on Hyndland Road. Or try a fruit market. We have one of those not too far from where we live, I've never visited it but I intend to. There are probably fruit markets in most cities. Go somewhere, anywhere but a supermarket, and you'll be surprised how much better the taste is, and how much wider the range is.

Sorry I can't tell you the names of any chains which sell good veggies, because that's about the size of it. Supermarket chains don't sell good veggies.

CattOfTheGarage

Cavy Slave
I've seen greens/spring greens/cabbage greens called "sweetheart cabbage", if that helps you find out nutritional info.

I'm going to start growing dandelions in a pot as a cheap supplement to piggy diet.

CavyKind

Cavy Slave
CattOfTheGarage said:
You need to go to a big greengrocer if you can find one near you, the organic faffy hippy types are good for variety .

Hey, there is nothing wrong with being a "faffy, hippy type" and organic food is better for you ;)

Barbara

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Hehe, thanks guys :)

I actually found another Florette's salad mix today. It has escarole, frisee (curly endive) radicchio, red chard and something called Wild Roquette. I found it in Sainsbury's, and it's called Florette's Summer Salad.

It has 2 little packets in the bag, one of some kind of sauce, and the other of dried fruits and nuts. I gave neither of the packets to the guineas (obviously), so they just got the salad part of it. And they loved it :D

Treen

Cavy Slave
Local farmers' markets are also great for the kind of veg you can't always find in supermarkets. They keep all the tops on everything like carrots and beetroot too, so it's a good find for the pigs!

This site (broken link removed) might show if there's one near you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.