Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage How to convince mom to get a C&C cage??

Sundaexoxo

Cavy Slave
I really need a new guinea pig cage, since the one we have isn't enough room. How do I convince my mom? And for fleece, the fleece on this site seems a little expensive, as they're 80 something dollars for five flippers. Is there anywhere cheaper, or is this a good all around price...??

KaileighRussell

Cavy Slave
You can go to your local fabric store and buy fleece by the meter - depending on the pattern/sale you can get it 2.00-8.00 a meter.

As for the C&C cage - the big arguing points are : healthier pigs, less chance of Upper resp infections and other medical issues, happier pigs, low cost, easy to clean. They also look really cool and can be made to fit any space!

Sundaexoxo

Cavy Slave
Thank you soo much! I wasnt sure if the fleece thing could be done. Thanks!!

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Fleece is SOOO SOOO SOOOO much better! I used CareFresh, woodchips, and everyother type of bedding imaginable. Fleece is one bazziliion times better and even my MOM loves it! She said no a total of... 13 times! She finally let me try it and she LOVES it! My room barely smells, and its amazing! My room only smeels when i get home on sunday because the cage didnt get spot cleaned from thurs-sunday. They get their fleece washed on sunday and the process repeats its self! When i used CareFresh, my room rank one day later and the upstairs halways reeked of pig poop after two days. The larger the cage, the less the poop/pee smells. I can NOT say enough about fleece! I personally don6t use flippers becasue i have 3 liners made already. I am debating about using flippers. I think i will make a trip to joanne's this weekend. :)

Sundaexoxo

Cavy Slave
THANK YOU!!:D I have to show this to my mom. she has already said no like ten times. THREE MORE TO GO!!

soopermum62

Cavy Slave
I am a Grandmother and recently switched to a C & C cage and Fleece myself! It is definitely the way to go in the large C & C cages the pigs are happier.Daily sweeps of poo, keeps it looking good. Less smell overall (I smell the kitchen area with the wood chips though), The Fleece area DOESN'T smell. Family Members with allergies are happier, and with 1 cage it only means 1 extra load a week. Read the link above that @YourSoJelly provided and let your mom read it too. If it is the EWWW factor, offer to run a washer cycle after the pig bedding with bleach in it to disinfect the washer. Also the same germs you would find on the dirty pig bedding would be the same as you would find in a load of dirty socks and underwear. Also Contrary to popular belief, Vinegar IS a disinfectant and IS regularly used to Clean HE washers.

Hope this helps.

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
i think i would focus a lot on price. im sure you have already told them it is better for the piggie to be in a C&C cage but it is also waaay cheaper. If you can find your own grids and coroplast you can build a cage for less than half than a "fancy" pet store cage. and fleece is cheaper too in the long run. might not be at first but doing an extra load of laundry is cheaper than buying carefresh/shavings... whatever you use. Im currently using shavings mixed with critter care. the shavings is luckily really cheap 10.00 for a huge bag and then 5.00 for a small bag of critter care than i mix in. but i have to buy that every week. so thats 15.00 a week. a load of laundry even using hot water wont cost that much. Plus it is healthier and less dusty to use the fleece. you can have a "kitchen" area or what i have is just a medium sized cat litter box and i put their hay in it and it has yesterdays news in it. which will sweep up easily on fleece and a big bag of that lasts a long time. my girls mainly pee in that box since they have to sit in it to eat their hay.

Mr.Waffles101

Cavy Slave
You can get fleece at a Thrift store for really cheap or if you can find it on Craigslist.

Sundaexoxo

Cavy Slave
I would do the thrift shop thing but I absolutely refuse to go onto craigslist after I saw how people on there treated and sold their piggies. Random fact. But thanks for the help this was really useful:D

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I buy almost exclusively fleece blankets from a home and garden store. They are usually 3-4 dollars depending on the patterns. It's an awesome deal, they are stand like 70ish inches x 80ish inches. Basically large enough to completely cover a 2x4. I have a collection of fleece blankets because they are so cheap!!(both for myself and the pigs!).

As far as getting your parents to let you have a C&C cage, I remember I did a bunch of chores to earn money to buy everything myself. I however didn't buy everything at once, so I had grids and no coroplast for a few months. But I took the time to save money, design the cage, show I was serious about keeping up with a larger cage. Honestly though my mom HATES my cage, it went from a 2x3 to a 3x3 to a 2x4 to a 2x5 and has a loft now and takes up a whole wall of my room. But it's my room so she doesn't have to look at it.

A huge selling point on the fleece was that it would save TONS of money in the long run. We used knock off carefresh and aspen before, it got everywhere and it cost a lot of money and took up a lot of space in my room. I have fleece that is around 6 years old that I still use on a weekly basis and it's holding up amazingly! Same with towels. You really only need 2 sets of absorbent layers and 2 sets of fleece, it shouldn't cost more than $30 and should last years. The price of water and energy to wash and dry is very minimal.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
The way I convinced my Mum is showing her pictures of the cool C&C cages in the gallery. After that she wanted one more than me.

Chritazy

Cavy Slave

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
@PrincessAngel - which home and garden store do you go to?

I go to Garden Ridge. I don't know if they all have the same products but ours has a whole fleece blanket section, especially in the winter. They have TONS of patterns and colors, it's really hard to choose my limit of 2 at a time!

Chritazy

Cavy Slave
Oh, good...we have Garden Ridge here. I'll have to go look! I have a bit of a fleece addiction myself! ;-)

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Garden Ridge... it's why my pigs have such nice things! I'm totally addicted to fleece, I currently have 4 fleece blankets on my bed... And my friends fed this addiction by getting me my 2 weaknesses for Christmas, turtle themed fleece! Shame on them!

piggiepigpigs75

Cavy Slave
Also, walmart has fleece throws for $4.98 and is half of fabric stores and their specialty fleece- plus it is bigger and is in multiple designs

PaisleysPiggies

Cavy Slave
I get my 50' by 60' fleece blankets at Rural King for $2.50 each. I find that they fit up to a 2x4 C&C cage, you can always get 2 and layer them if you have a bigger cage. I live in southern Ohio, so it depends on where you live. You can find TONS of fleece blankets/baby blankets at thrift stores for like a dollar. My mom had to buy a big bag of Aspen bedding for like $12.50, which only lasted at the most 2-3 weeks. I told her about fleece but she wasn't sure at first. She let me try out fleece for a week, and now she doesn't have to fork out $20.00 a month just for bedding. Ask your mom if you can try it out for a week or two.

Last edited:

Wibbles

Cavy Slave
The fleece flippers (although expensive) I think are great. They come prewashed, the pattern matching and selection is nice. In addition my sewing skills are nonexistent so it's nice to know that if the piggies ever get to the point they ruin a fleece cover I can just order a replacement one. So I saw it as a high initial investment that made up in the lower frustration and aggravation and great convinience as well as less money in the swear jar lol.

aeiou

Cavy Slave
At first, I thought that the fleece flippers on this site were too expensive. But then, I thought about how much we had probably already spent on carefresh, we bought it $20 a bag! And it takes about one and a half to fill my cage. So, that's about $30 a week on bedding. So, in about a month, that's already like over $100. So I figured, what the heck? So now they are being shipped my way! haha.

As far as the C&C cage goes, for me it was simple, since I was getting a second and third pig. So I could just say oh I need a bigger cage. My dad still calls it a pig pen. LOL Just convince her that it's what they need.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.