PDA

View Full Version : Feet Yellow nails?!?

Nazzie081
01-20-13, 02:49 pm
I have noticed that the guinea pig I adopted seems to have yellow nails, they were over grown and after clipping them down I noticed a yellow patch on the underside of his paw?!? What exactly is this, and what do I do?

RodentCuddles
01-20-13, 02:56 pm
Are you sure they're not just a colour off something he/she could of stood on? Have you tired to see if it'll wipe off?

Aleks
01-20-13, 03:01 pm
Can you post a picture of it?
I would try seeing if it'll wipe off as RodentCuddles suggested.

PrincessAngel
01-20-13, 03:20 pm
I have pigs with a yellow tint to their nails, they aren't pure white like my cat or dogs, but are kinda yellowish and clearish. My older pigs are the ones with yellowy nails, and I never really have a problem with them. I just keep them trim. The yellow patch on the bottom of his paw could be a burr, which is basically a skin growth, you can clip those off carefully.

Nazzie081
01-20-13, 04:14 pm
I did try to take it off but it seems to be attached to the skin of the underside of the paw the cushiony part of the paw. This is very hard to explain whiteout seeing what is going on

Nazzie081
01-20-13, 04:16 pm
The nails have curled in a way that now they aren't normal looking, after I have clipped and cut his nails, they look better but am still concerned, I apparently adopted a piggie in bad shape!

PrincessAngel
01-20-13, 04:26 pm
Usually spurs are on the pad of the paw http://www.guinealynx.info/feet.html#spurs

I have a pig who's nails curl funny, you just have to stay on top of trimming them so they don't overgrow into the pads of the feet.

Nazzie081
01-20-13, 04:31 pm
Thanks I just looked it up and I think your right its a spur!!!!

PrincessAngel
01-20-13, 04:44 pm
Thanks I just looked it up and I think your right its a spur!!!!

Spurs are quite common in pigs. Two of my three girls get them, I just clip them off when they get long enough, nothing to really be concerned with!

foggycreekcavy
01-21-13, 11:33 am
Spurs can develop on any pig. It's not a sign of neglect.

Some pigs' nails curve to the side as the pig gets older.

Whenever you find something on your pig's foot, never try to pull it off. Soaking and gently rubbing to see if it will come off is a better idea. When cutting off spurs, be very careful not to cut too close to the foot pad.