Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage C&C

PiggyLover52

Cavy Slave
Hey guys. I am getting my C&C cage in a little while. From the photo's I've seen of others cages, they have no tops.
My mum is convinced that they will climb up the sides and out, I've said they won't but you never know...
Need some people to reply in order to convince her it'll be fine without a top

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I have a C&C cage with out a top and and the most George does is just stand on the edge of the coroplast when he wants to be taken out or thinks he's getting veggies. He has never tried to climb out.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs can'tclimb over. They may stand on their hind legs and peep up but there should still be another 2-4 grid squares above their heads. Guinea pigs are not as flexible as other rodents. Their skeletons and spines were not built to climb, they were built to run fast. Where guinea pigs are native, there are less trees and more brush/flat land. They need to be able to run faster but not need to climb. Lids are not needed unless you have a cat or something. The only way a guinea pig would climb over is if there is something next to the grid sides and they could stand on top and climb over. Adult guinea pigs can't really do that anywho but if you had a baby, they can climb out because they still have a wide range of flexibility because they are young. And besides, most guinea pigs don't want to escape because they have a nice big cage, unlimited hay and water, pellets, fruit, and veggies. They also have play companions and toys! Who wouldn't want to leave that?

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
@YourSoJelly That is not always true. Usually it is but if there are two cages next to each other it is not unheard of for pigs to find a way over to the cage next to them. I know that I've seen people talking about their girls getting pregnant because one of the boys found a way over a barrier when they were in heat. My girl Jipys is a little brat when she is in heat and we had to modify our cage because she was successful in climbing over the barrier(no boys on the other side but if she fought with Nina it would have been a blood bath). I caught her before she was fully over but it was close.

@PiggyLover52 as long as there is only one cage you are most likely fine. Unless they are trying to get to another pig Jelly is right and they don't feel the need to even try. Some pigs are a rare exception but unless they give you a reason to be concerned you should be fine without a lid.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
If you have a dog, cat, or small children around, then you do need a top. Tops are easily made from wire shelving you get from Home Depot.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I've had my guys in it since may, and nothing yet. They have big chubby bodies and little stubby legs, not build to climb vertically thats for sure.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
My girls havenot tried to esacpe yet.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
I've had many guinea pigs and none have ever tried to climb the grids.
I've had 2 stand on their hind legs and stretch quite high to wheek at me for food, but that's as high as they go.
I've had one stand on their hidey house all the time so I made sure it was set in the middle of the cage (though he could push it around) and it was never an issue regarding using it to climb the edge.
I also never had girls/boys trying to get to each other which would be another factor.

If there are no other pets, opposite sex pigs, or small children, a lid is not typically required.

PiggyLover52

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm going to see how they get on and I can make a top if need be but my mum is feeling more positive after viewing everyone's comments

Digital_Dad

Cavy Slave
HaHa! Show your mom my C&C enclosure. That ought to crack her up! My boars freak out when I let them loose outside their enclosure on the living room floor they immediately run over to their enclosure and hop back in Lol! They never jump out, not once. They are very weird when it comes to their home, they have no interest in escaping at all.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
If your mom really wants a top, I don't see a reason to argue with her. They CAN climb out, they often don't, but they can, and all the energy expended convincing her a top isn't needed could have easily been spent actually making one. Better safe than sorry.

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
Hey guys. I am getting my C&C cage in a little while. From the photo's I've seen of others cages, they have no tops.
My mum is convinced that they will climb up the sides and out, I've said they won't but you never know...
Need some people to reply in order to convince her it'll be fine without a top
It wont hurt to put up a top. Is the cage on the floor? Mine is a tabletop cage but just has a sheet to cover, not having 'got around' to making a proper top. aw, go on, let Mum put a top on!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.