Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Hutch for my 2 piggies!

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
Hi!
I need some help. My 2 guinea pigs will now have to live in their hutch (which will be indoors) for a number of reasons. Even though, this hutch has two levels connected by a ramp and is much bigger than their current c & c. But these are my questions :)
How many pigs could live in the hutch? It's a 5 ft by 3 ft both levels (except on the top level it has a gap for the ramp.)
How would I make fleece cage liners for it? I mean, I know how to actually make them but the top level has a pull out tray. I'm thinking I should take it out, but then theres a gap at the front where it should be, if you know what I mean. What could I do for this?
All answers greatly appreciated! Thanks x :)

soopermum62

Cavy Slave
Do you have a picture of this Hutch? Does it have a wire floor? (Wire floors are VERY dangerous for piggy feet and legs) If we could see the design of the hutch we might be able to help you.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you look at the Main page of this site, there's a chart that tells you the recommended size for a number of pigs. You can work backwards from the square footage to the number of pigs.

You can make fleece cage liners, but you need a floor for that. You can make one out of correx or linoleum.

You will need something at the front of the top level to keep the pigs from getting out.

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
5ft by 3ft is just a little bigger that a 2x4 C&C so 2 piggies could live in there.

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
Thankyou everyone! @soopermum62 It is not a wire floor, its wood with a plastic (just like coroplast) on top :) Heres a picture:

Im thinking for the gap I could cut some wood to its shape and nail it in, and as there's plastic already at the bottom of the cage (I put it in) I could just put the fleece liner on its own. Also, the picture is from the website. Thanks again x

Attachments

image.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That ramp is way too steep for pigs. If you're going to leave the ramp in, you need to find a way to raise it and lengthen it. It also needs sides so one pig can't knock the other off, or jump from too high a spot and injure its back.

Also, with a hutch like that, all bets are off as to how many pigs can live there. The ramp is a perfect place for one pig to trap the others on either the top floor or the bottom floor. If you've got a pig who does that, any other pigs living in the hutch may have problems.

Also, why do they have to have a hutch instead of a C&C?

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
@bpatters When I first got the hutch I realized it was too steep, so I've already fixed that :) My pigs don't block or knock eachother off the ramp, they usually just walk up and down whenever they want to. I couldn't afford the c & c and it wasn't big enough for my two piggies, so I had to put them in the hutch. In the future I will definatley try c & c again.

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
I use a hutch, connected only a playpen, and its quite a similar design to that, but smaller. I find that the pigs love it, and I can't fault it. The only problem would be the ramp. But you've said you already fixed it, so nothing I can say there :)

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
@CandyApple I find hutches much bigger and easier to clean and the piggies to live in :) I might try attaching a play pen too! Thankyou :)

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
Here's mine if you want inspiration! :)

Hutch for my 2 piggies!

Have fun with your hutch!

Attachments

009.jpg

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
Ok, sorry about the second picture... Despite editing it wouldn't go away.
If a mod could delete it, It would be much appreciated :)
Thanks!

lissie

Cavy Slave
5x3 ft (15 sq.ft) hutch is about the same size as a 2x6 C&C cage (15.75 sq.ft). You'll be able to house 4 pigs in there, provided that they get along.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.