PDA

View Full Version : Hello :D

SammichBros
01-14-13, 05:30 pm
Hi everyone! My name is Sarah and my husband and I have two boars, Porkchop and Hamm. They are both right under a year old. I first brought home Porkchop after another animal fell ill and died shortly after (My cat had cancer and had a mass on her chest). My husband was hesitant at first (mainly because of his terrible allergies and a fear of small animals), but he quickly fell in love and shortly after encouraged me to bring home a friend for him, so Hamm came along. They were both purchased from Petsmart (after reading the other posts about them I'm horrified, I never realized how bad their small cages were!). Luckily they were both sexed correctly. At any rate, because it was my first time keeping these small creatures, I purchased the largest cage that I could find in store. I love animals (we also have two huskies, but they are outdoor dogs), and as I've watched them grow, I have been wondering how to obtain a larger cage, and so I stumbled onto this site. My husband and I spent last Saturday evening constructing a 2x3 cage, and I've taken a try at making a fleece flipper (Its definitely been trial and error for that!). Our boys love their new home! Just an FYI for anyone who absolutely cannot locate Coroplast, I lucked out and found a thread on this site that said Home Depot carries TwinWall plastic which is pretty much coroplast as far as I can tell. (A 72x36 sheet is right under $12!) And Kmart had a sale on their storage cubes for $19 that makes 6 cubes, so we have a few extra in case we want to expand. Now my husband is talking about adding a third boar! At any rate, this is my first forum I've joined ever (I pretty much stick to standard social media), so I'm excited to be a part of something new. My next big venture will be learning how to trim their nails. I'm a little hesitant, but I've been reading how not to hurt them. Any tips would be much appreciated!
So here is Hamm (on the left) and Porkchop (on the right)

And just for fun, here are my huskies.
This is Fleury
And here is Sarge

kltohlman
01-14-13, 05:38 pm
Welcome! This site has a lot of really good information. Your dogs are beautiful!

YourSoJelly
01-14-13, 05:42 pm
Wow! What a story! Your piggies are ADORABLE! You dogs are gorgeous too! As for the tip, when I clip my girl's nails, I clip one paw (if they let me get that far) then I give them a treat. It was a slow process at first because I would clip one nail, then let then nibble the carrot. Then another nail and the process repeats. For the first couple of times i deffinately reccommend wearing a longsleeve shirt because freshly clipped nails are really scratchy and they might try to nibble. If my girls are good about it, I can sometimes take a nail file and file down the nails. Other than That, you seem good to go! Oh, one more useful tip for you, don't let the other pig see what your doing. If he sees you "mutilating" his brother, you are NOT going to catch him. Oh, One last thing! Weigh them when you clip their nails. It just makes for a faster process. Speaking of that, i need to weigh my girls! If you wish to talk to someone, im right here! Have a great day and welcome to the forum! :D

crose136
01-14-13, 05:57 pm
gorgeous piggies and dogs - welcome to the forum - it has great information and its helpful.

SammichBros
01-14-13, 08:15 pm
Thank you so much for the tips on trimming my boys' nails! I'm going to try it out this week and hopefull it will go well. I'm so glad you mentioned not letting them see each other during this. It makes so much sense but I probably would not have thought about it. Do you use just standard nail clippers or do you use a special tool to cut them? Also thanks for being so friendly! I've been kind of intimidated to join a forum honestly. This will be a great way to talk to people with similar interests. Have a wonderful evening!

Aleks
01-14-13, 08:22 pm
Welcome to the forum! Your huskies and piggies are absolutely adorable! :)
You can use standard nail clippers to trim their nails, or you can buy cat nail trimmers from a pet supply shop.

Bruceb
01-14-13, 08:32 pm
Welcome, Cute animals.

YourSoJelly
01-15-13, 12:31 pm
Thank you so much for the tips on trimming my boys' nails! I'm going to try it out this week and hopefull it will go well. I'm so glad you mentioned not letting them see each other during this. It makes so much sense but I probably would not have thought about it. Do you use just standard nail clippers or do you use a special tool to cut them? Also thanks for being so friendly! I've been kind of intimidated to join a forum honestly. This will be a great way to talk to people with similar interests. Have a wonderful evening!

You're very welcome! I had to deal with that myself and I know how bad that situation is. Pumpkin saw Nala get her nails done and she did zoomies ALL around the room. It took me 15 minutes to catch her... and I was in the smallest bathroom of the house. :P You can use regular human nail clippers or dog/cat nail clippers. I use the dog ones personally because it has that little hole which makes it harder for the nail to slip out.

mufasa
01-15-13, 01:06 pm
Welcome to the forum! Your furry family is gorgeous.