Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Getting Along I am sure I will get heat on this one

sweetdaisy

Cavy Slave
Ok I know I might get a lot a heat from this thread. I have notice that this website is very passionate about guinea pigs. Which is very understandable. But here is where I think it goes to far. You get young kids who parents get them a guinea pig with out knowing that they can get them from shelters ect.. and yes they should have done some research but some of the people on this site is so harsh to these people. Let them learn for them self instead of saying you should have bought from a shelter and Not from a Petstore. You just may chace these people away and then there guineas wont get the proper care because they choose to come to site anymore because its not friendly to those who went about getting a guinea pig a different way then the way we did. Also I have notice people who post there pictures of there cages all excited to show them off and all they get is negitive feed. Example where is there hay or they need more hay than that, your cage looks too small. I mean come on people if you cant say something nice dont say anything at all. Or at least have one negitive and then say but overall the cage looks great. Its just sad that these people work really hard on there cage and they get negitive comments. Hopefully you will be opened minded to this message and put your self as a new member looking in.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
You may have this wrong. We don't get mad at people for buying at pet stores when they didn't know any better. It is when members defend that purchase or say they will make a purchase as before- after they have been given the information about the truth of it all.

Amanda
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

sweetdaisy

Cavy Slave
But is it worth makeing a arguement over? I mean I just read one today about some one who bought from a petstore because they had no rescue shelter in there area. I mean these people were rough on her or him. She tried to say I bought it from a petstore and there is nothing she /he could do and there werent a rescue place. So I guess they cant have a guinea pig because there is no rescue??
slap_maxwell said:
You may have this wrong. We don't get mad at people for buying at pet stores when they didn't know any better. It is when members defend that purchase or say they will make a purchase as before- after they have been given the information about the truth of it all.

sweetdaisy

Cavy Slave
Cant We all just get along :)

sweetdaisy said:
But is it worth makeing a arguement over? I mean I just read one today about some one who bought from a petstore because they had no rescue shelter in there area. I mean these people were rough on her or him. She tried to say I bought it from a petstore and there is nothing she /he could do and there werent a rescue place. So I guess they cant have a guinea pig because there is no rescue??

Amanda
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Where there are petstores, there are guinea pigs that need homes. End of Story. They may not be lucky enough to go to a shelter. They may be in classified section of the newspaper. They may be for sale at a garage sale. Someone has even found them in a dumpster. There is NO excuse for buying from a petstore after you realize you can adopt.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
If you had read the thread more clearly you would have seen that this person limited the search to their county. The argument was NOT about what they had done, but what they wanted to do, which was buy another pig at a pet store. The member above, Amanda, drove six hours to rescue some of her guys. My longest was four away.

Again, we don't argue with people that bought pigs without previously knowing there were rescues in shelters. But its the ignorant people who refuse to change their thoughts even when shown the information that spark argumants.

sweetdaisy

Cavy Slave
I agree with what you all saying dont get me wrong. I just dont want to chace people away from this website in hopes that there hearts will be soften and will come around to buying there piggies from shelters.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
sweetdaisy said:
...buying there piggies from shelters.

We don't "buy" pigs from shelters or rescues, we adopt. You "buy" at a pet store because you are buying a peice of merchandise.

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
I won't get into the whole "we should be nicer" debate, because it never really seems to go anywhere; However, I too find that some people are way to negative when posting comments about cages. I made what I thought was a beautiful cage for the space I had available. I made an L shaped 2x6. People then posted comments like: that's too small, the L shape doesn't give enough running room, it looks too crowded, and so on. I then felt horrible about my cage even though I knew that it was the right size and had the right amount of stuff in it (One hidey house per piggy, since they were still fighting over dominance issues). Also, most people take their pictures right after they clean their cages, which is why there is usually no hay, food, water, etc... Sometimes it seems like some people are just looking for something bad to say, without even thinking of the fact that these cages took hours too make and the owners of them are probably very excited about them...that is until they read the comments.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
suzy_99, your cage is great. Notice that the negitive comments mostly came from inexperienced members that don't even have a cage half the size!

sweetdaisy

Cavy Slave
Slap I ment Adoption.geesh

slap_maxwell said:
We don't "buy" pigs from shelters or rescues, we adopt. You "buy" at a pet store because you are buying a peice of merchandise.

sweetdaisy

Cavy Slave
Suzy that is exactly what I am talking about. Your cage is great. I just think some people are very harsh on this site.

suzy_99 said:
I won't get into the whole "we should be nicer" debate, because it never really seems to go anywhere; However, I too find that some people are way to negative when posting comments about cages. I made what I thought was a beautiful cage for the space I had available. I made an L shaped 2x6. People then posted comments like: that's too small, the L shape doesn't give enough running room, it looks too crowded, and so on. I then felt horrible about my cage even though I knew that it was the right size and had the right amount of stuff in it (One hidey house per piggy, since they were still fighting over dominance issues). Also, most people take their pictures right after they clean their cages, which is why there is usually no hay, food, water, etc... Sometimes it seems like some people are just looking for something bad to say, without even thinking of the fact that these cages took hours too make and the owners of them are probably very excited about them...that is until they read the comments.

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
Thanks Slap...I was not actually all that insulted or anything, because I knew I had a good cage, but imagine if those comments were given to a completely new owner. It may tend to make them feel very discouraged. I have since upgraded my cage too, and my four piggies are now in a big 4x4.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
sweetdaisy said:
Slap I ment Adoption.geesh

It's a pretty big difference.

toffeepig

Cavy Slave
sweetdaisy said:
I agree with what you all saying dont get me wrong. I just dont want to chace people away from this website in hopes that there hearts will be soften and will come around to buying there piggies from shelters.
At the risk of adding fuel to your fire, may I gently remind you, sweetdaisy, about spelling an punctuation? The word is "chase" not chace. There, not angry, not harsh, just a gentle reminder - before the mods get you.

And slap's post was to reinforce for others who might read this thread that obtaining a pig from a shelter is not the same as purchasing a piece of merchandise from a pet shop. Not necessarily a ramrod correction for you, but a general clarification. Your reply of "geesh" was a bit unnecessary.

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
While I do believe that some members on here are a bit too harsh, most of us are well behaved. We calmly tell them to think about adoption first next time. Same with cages. It's when we educate them and they don't listen. Us+ Passion for pigs+ evil people who won't listen= Heated threads.

JackSpicerRules

Cavy Slave
slap_maxwell said:

... How can you call them merchandise? Even from pet stores, they still are pets.

I wasn't supporting them. I just buy stuff from there >< I don't approve buying pets from petstores, but I didn't know when I got my pigs that its wrong to get them from a store.
I did read the 'WE LOVE PETS...NOT' thread yesterday. That's wrong. But you know, it was in a aquarium, where there is not good air currculation. (bad spelling) The pet stores I had gone to had very well ventillated cages. Not all pet stores are bad, but some are.

sweetdaisy

Cavy Slave
Toffee slap was refering to my previous comment on " buying a guinea pig from a shelter" And I meant to say adoption. I just felt that she was being so critical. As I am on the same page as her. I just dont want to be rude to people. If they dont want to learn and there not willing you cant sqize water from a rock. Dont waste your breath .As for spelling thank you for the reminder. But if they are so concerned about correct spelling why dont they have a spellcheck option??

toffeepig said:
At the risk of adding fuel to your fire, may I gently remind you, sweetdaisy, about spelling an punctuation? The word is "chase" not chace. There, not angry, not harsh, just a gentle reminder - before the mods get you.

And slap's post was to reinforce for others who might read this thread that obtaining a pig from a shelter is not the same as purchasing a piece of merchandise from a pet shop. Not necessarily a ramrod correction for you, but a general clarification. Your reply of "geesh" was a bit unnecessary.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.