Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia New to G-Pig diet - QLD

crose136

Cavy Slave
I am fairly new to piggies and I currently have 1 (planning on getting a 2nd soon)- I've been feeding him a petshop guinea pig mix but read that the amount of alfalfa hay in it isn't good for him and was wondering where you get guinea pig pellets from in queensland around ipswich/toowoomba? and how much it usually is?
I also feed him hay from the shops and people say try stiff hay is bad because he can poke an eye or something, where can I get timothy hay around the same areas? if not, is barn hay okay? like the stuff for horses thats $10 and free delivered.
I feed him veggies daily and my dad doesn't listen when it comes to apple and banana and usually gives him a great deal of it. Had him almost a year and no issues but is it okay if he hasn't had problems so far that my dad gives him so much?
Help would be lovely, I want only the best for my Piggy. (yes thats his name -Piggy- :) )

Aleks

Cavy Slave
If you don't mind spending a little extra for shipping you can order a 50lbs bag of sweet meadow. (broken link removed)
Most people recommend Oxbow pellets, but sweet meadow is good as well! It's what I ordered for George and he loves it. With shipping and everything I paid around 50$. It may seem a little pricey, but it'll last quite a while and considering that the pellets I was getting were like 10$ for a 4lb bag it really is a good deal.

You can also order hay online. As far as getting "barn hay" you just need to make sure it's a grass hay and not a legume. It would be best if it were timothy.
You really should cut back on fruits. I personally don't think it's okay for your dad to continue to feed him lots them. Too much banana can cause constipation, and all of the sugar in fruits can cause diabetes later on in their lives which is why fruits should only be an occasional treat.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Fruit needs to be occasional. Just because he's fine so far doesn't mean that won't change. Diabetes can develop, and it's just not good for them. Banana should also be fed very seldom.

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I feed my pigs 'barn hay' that comes from a feed store for horses. I feed timothy and eventually I'm hoping to switch to Orchard grass, or TNO (timothy/orchard grass)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Aleks, she's not in the US, so can't order hay from here.

The stiff hay may be slightly more likely to poke them in the eye, but if you put it in a hay rack rather than in a pile that they run through, it should be ok.

Pellet mixes are generally not recommended, no matter whether the base is timothy or alfalfa. A year-old pig is too old for alfalfa anyway, though -- it's got too much calcium in it, and he needs a long strand grass hay (timothy, orchard, meadow, blue, brome). There should be an agricultural governmental agency that can help you with where to find hay in your area.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
@Aleks , she's not in the US, so can't order hay from here.

Oh darn. I'm guessing she can't order pellets from here either, then? Is there nowhere online that ships hay/pellets to Australia?

monkeynthechimp

Cavy Slave
Pet Cafe at booval (ipswich) sell the oxbow products. Hay and Pellets, it is the cheapest prices for them I have found, but still expensive! They also make their own brand of pellets you can buy in different size bags for very cheap. If you contact the Australian Cavy Sanctuary, they have a Facebook page and also a website, you can buy hay VERY cheaply from them. They are based at narrangba, but they are happy to arrange more convenient pick ups if any of their volunteers lives closer to you. It's worth contacting them.
And the Pet Cafe is a supply only store too!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.