PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Rio_Fuzzbutt
01-09-13, 08:37 pm
Um, hi... I was given a guinea pig today. I think it's a male, but I'm going off pictures from the internet, so I'm not sure.

Colorado Cavies
01-09-13, 08:54 pm
Oh dear. Were you wanting a guinea pig? You don't sound very excited. Well first of all make sure you get him unlimited hay. Timothy or orchard grass is best. oxbow is the best brand they sell in stores (as far as I know) if you can find it but guinea pigs need hay 24/7 so anything will work short term. Also make sure his food is just pellets, again oxbow is best. No nuts, no seeds, no colored bits. He will also need daily veggies. He will also need a proper size cage if he has a store bought one that is too small.

foggycreekcavy
01-09-13, 09:05 pm
Welcome! You'll want to read all you can on basic guinea pig care, both here and at www.guinealynx.info .

Rio_Fuzzbutt
01-09-13, 09:16 pm
It's hard to show inflection on here. What you probably sensed was my awkwardness at posting an introduction. However, I was NOT looking for a guinea pig. I'll still take care of him the best I know how though. I have a hard time turning any animal in need away and I did have an empty cage from when my last rat died a few months ago (pituitary tumor). He is in a Critter Nation cage, but I took the shelf out because he doesn't seem nearly as agile as the rats were. I bought the biggest size bag of timothy hay at Petsmart because they told me that's what he needed. I didn't get the Oxbow brand because it was all brown. I am planning on switching him to Oxbow pellets, but I didn't want to just start feeding him that and upset his tummy and I got a full bag of what they were already feeding him, which is Vitakraft I think. When it's half gone, I'll start mixing the Oxbow with it. I got him some toys too. He kind of just lays here though. He's been laying on my chest for a little over an hour and hasn't moved or made a peep.

He's got like really wiry hair that's curly. Is he going to end up with long hair? He sheds a lot. I gave him a bath in something the vet said was safe because he was on cedar. I know THAT is wrong, so I wanted to wash him of the oils.

Rio_Fuzzbutt
01-10-13, 11:38 pm
So, it took less than 24 hours and my piggie has a friend. They're being kept seperate in case one is sick... Also, not sure of the genders, but if the newer one is female, I'll get the male neutered as long as you can neuter guinea pigs.

MissJean
01-10-13, 11:44 pm
If you haven't yet, I really recommend checking out kmshayloft.com

Her hay and pellets are very healthy, highly recommended, and a fair price. Despite the high looking shipping costs, most people save money when purchasing hay from her. You may be amazed once you do the math.

Good luck with your new piggie pals! It sounds like you're determined to figure all this stuff out. I'm glad!

CavyMama
01-10-13, 11:59 pm
He is in a Critter Nation cage, but I took the shelf out because he doesn't seem nearly as agile as the rats were.

The best thing you can do is build a C&C cage, especially now that you have two pigs.

I bought the biggest size bag of timothy hay at Petsmart because they told me that's what he needed.

Yeah, petstores will tell you a lot of things that guinea pigs "need". Most of them will be crap. Some examples of things they will probably try to tell you that pigs need: vitamin drops for the water, salt/mineral licks, yogurt treats, exercise wheels. The trick is to learn as much as you can from here so you know when the petstores are handing you a line.

I am planning on switching him to Oxbow pellets, but I didn't want to just start feeding him that and upset his tummy

Pellets you can switch cold turkey. No need to transition. It's veggies you need to introduce slowly.

He's got like really wiry hair that's curly.

Awww, it sounds like you have a texel. Very cute.

I gave him a bath in something the vet said was safe because he was on cedar. I know THAT is wrong, so I wanted to wash him of the oils.
Yeah, cedar is about the worst bedding for them. As wood based bedding goes, aspen is fine. And pine if it's been kiln-dried.

Rio_Fuzzbutt
01-11-13, 12:46 am
The person at the Petsmart actually told me not to get an excercise ball because they said that he would hurt his back. I'm guessing they were right? They did try to sell me a mineral lick and the drops though LOL.

I posted pics and some other concerns in the general guinea pig care part of the forum. I have a minor emergency, but I don't want to jump back and forth discussing the same issue. If you guys could help me out, that would be great. I think my thread title there is "New piggies... some questions". Thanks.

evilove
01-11-13, 01:04 am
Welcome Rio_Fuzzbutt! I saw your other thread and commented on those issues. Just wanted to say hello and welcome to the wonderful world of guinea pigs here! Everyone is quite knowledgable here, so you are definitely in the right place as a new piggie owner. As you get more comfortable with the day to day routine of owning guinea pigs, there are some things you will probably want to consider. First is a nice big cage, which you can read all about on the cage-related portion of this site (click the Guinea Pig Cages icon on the top left of this page, if you aren't familiar). As mentioned earlier, Guinea Lynx has wonderful information about the care and health of guinea pigs. I find it to be an invaluable resource. Good luck, and don't be shy!

BernieAndBert
01-11-13, 01:41 am
The person at the Petsmart actually told me not to get an excercise ball because they said that he would hurt his back. I'm guessing they were right? They did try to sell me a mineral lick and the drops though LOL.

I posted pics and some other concerns in the general guinea pig care part of the forum. I have a minor emergency, but I don't want to jump back and forth discussing the same issue. If you guys could help me out, that would be great. I think my thread title there is "New piggies... some questions". Thanks.

They were correct in regards to an exercise ball/wheel. Piggies are not very agile and can really injure themselves in those kinds of things. They just need a big cage so they can run around whenever they please. Mineral licks and yogurt drops are not necessary. Their sensitive digestive systems are not meant to process dairy. All they need is unlimited timothy hay, pellets and green, nutritious veggies :) Good luck!