Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Costs price

Wibbles

Cavy Slave
I have called a few exotic vets near me and I am finding average prices around $85 for visits. I asked about URI medication and they said around 110-120 dollars for URI treatment. Are these fair prices or should I continue looking? They are exotic vets certified in guinea pigs.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Different areas will charge different prices but for my Marshmallow to be treated for his URI, it was; $50/exam (I pay per animal no matter what), $65 for medication for one pig at a cavvy savvy vet. Treating for mites was $50 for the vet visit for my Chocolate, and was $45 for the medication (they charged the full price of the Revolution since they had to open the container even though they only used 3 drops - literally) but they also gave me a 2nd set for my Marshmallow for free since they had it open anyway and would throw it away.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Seems kind of high for the medication. If they prescribe Bactrim have them send it in to your own human pharmacy--it's much cheaper that way.

LithiumRiot

Cavy Slave
My vet usually charges around $40-$45 and doesnt charge for nail trims or things like that
When I had to get antibiotics for Lucy, it was like $120 for both of the antibiotics.

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
Wow, that seems really expensive to me. Maybe I just have a super awesome vet. (I mean, I know she is super awesome lol but maybe she is rare). I pay $36 for a well visit. Meds are nowhere near that much. They weren't that much even at the vet hospital for an emergency visit. I paid $150 for a neuter and all the follow up visits (one has an abscess) are free and I just pay for the meds. I really do love her and all the staff. SHe is a piggy owner herself, and she had tears in her eyes when we watched one of my piggies pass away on her exam table.

Wibbles

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry I was not clear the medicine they said was $30 making the full treatment $110. @T_Liscious wow $35 well visit would be nice.

Wibbles

Cavy Slave
I think I will look at more vets around me tomorrow. My problem is I am around people of the mentality of if its not as big as a dog its not worth a vet. Luckily for my sons and my piggies I control my money lol.

3cpiggies

Cavy Slave
I think I am really lucky. I pay 26 for an exam and 33 for multiple pet exam instead of 26 each. The baytril is $8 an oz and the Bactrim is 3.50 an oz. She doesn't always charge me for the meds either when I had to treat all three for a uri that was persistant and required four visits to the vet and changes of meds and doses until it worked.

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I literally just went to the vet yesterday for a URI. It was 40 bucks for the exam and 53 for exam and meds total. Come to find out I got antibiotics that are toxic to guinea pigs and have spent another 100 getting to another vet..

Before you go in print out the list of medications of of Guinea Lynx that are deadly and bring it with you to save you time AND money.

Hope everything goes well with your pig!

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
I used to pay $80 for a vet visit, now since I am a regular costumer and I am there almost every week I only pay $50.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
I literally just went to the vet yesterday for a URI. It was 40 bucks for the exam and 53 for exam and meds total. Come to find out I got antibiotics that are toxic to guinea pigs and have spent another 100 getting to another vet..

Before you go in print out the list of medications of of Guinea Lynx that are deadly and bring it with you to save you time AND money.

Hope everything goes well with your pig!

Can't stress this enough too, great advice! Just because people claim to be "cavvy savvy" it doesn't mean they are. I've ran into a few vets that had no idea what they were talking about who were the "guinea pig" vet.

What I did was send the list to my phone, so I had it there, on hand to double check the medication they were giving me.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
@Carissa6729 I know. I found out AFTER they had given her a dose and AFTER I paid and came home and posted about it on a thread.

Crazy stressful on my pig that she had to switch medications, too.

shhhmandy

Cavy Slave
I paid $58 for the examination.$7 for an office visit plus tax...for a total of $73.45 for her to say he was fine...to wish I figured out on my own I am pretty sure he is allergic to the timothy hay! I switched him to this orchard grass stuff and he has not done it anymore.

I am new to the vets and they know what they are doing, I do not mind paying for there experience. I mean a haircut and dye costs more then that and I love my buddy stew way more then my hair lol

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Bactrim was 12 dollars for a round of treatment when I had it ages ago. I think my vet charges 65 for exams.

80+ dollars does not sound unusual for exam costs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.