Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Albon for CL

plumpuff

Cavy Slave
Cookie apparently has cervical lymphadenitis. The lymph nodes in her neck are HUGE -- you can see them easily just by looking at her.
swell.JPG

The vet said that if she needs it, the nodes will be surgically lanced. Right now a sample of some sort of "solid cheesy substance" taken from one of the nodes is being sent for a culture. But right now she's on antibiotics. She's refused baytril in the past (we mixed it with carrot juice and syringe-fed it to her but she started spitting it out and biting us) so she's been given albon suspension... which she takes to only slightly better.

I'm just wondering, is this medicine any good? Is it effective?

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I don't know about the quality of the meds but some times you just need to get tough and force it on them. Put the tip of the string inside the pigs cheek so it starts to chew and start force feeding it the meds. If you go slow the pig should not spit it back out. There are links out there with better info on force feeding but I'm on my phone and can't post them at this time. Best of luck and I hope he doesn't need surgery, the poor thing.

plumpuff

Cavy Slave
That's what I was trying to do -- but it was very difficult, because she kept swinging her head around and making it hard to even get the syringe in her mouth. When I did get it in, she would rip her head away and thus get it out, or just spit out the medicine as I was depressing the syringe. She's a tricky one.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
You have to hold the pig's head still as well. For my boys I sat down, held them so the pigs back was on my tummy and the pig's butt was in my lap. I used my index and thumb to keep the pig's head still and my submissive hand to keep the pig's body still. I used my dominate hand to do the syringe. Hope that helps.

plumpuff

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the advice, I'll have to try that tonight when I give her her albon. :)

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
If you have someone in your house who could help you could also get one person to hold the pig and the other to give the meds.

plumpuff

Cavy Slave
I'll give that a shot, thank you.

Are there any suggestions for extra vitamin c since she's sick? The vet recommended oranges, but they're very acidic. Cookie hates pepper and the vitamin c chews I bought for them lol

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Extra C is not a bad idea for a sick pig. 50 mg is fine. You can crush it, mix with water, and syringe it to her.

plumpuff

Cavy Slave
Thank you, I'll definitely try that! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.