Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Flags Breeding for Fun?

Glorylocks

Cavy Slave
I was on craigslist the other day and came across a lady who was giving away guinea pigs for free. She flat out stated that she purposefully breeds her guinea pigs and gives the babies away for free. I was so shocked! Normally breeders atleast try to make a little money even though what they do is wrong and I don't support it but I have a hard time understanding why she would be purposefully breeding them just to give away the guinea pigs for free. I flagged the ad, hit backspace and clicked on it again and flagged it a second time. I don't know if you're supposed to do this but I did! The next day when I was going to post it here it had been flagged for removal! =)
Anyone have any idea why a breeder would purposefully breed a guinea pig and then give them away free? I'm just curious.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
That is very strange. Most breeders breed pigs for money. This lady sounds like she does it for fun! There are so many poor piggies who need homes and this idiot is bringing more into this world. Disgusting.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Who knows??
Maybe she doesn't want to get another cage so she keeps the males and females together?
Maybe she has no idea how to sex them and the baby males are always getting the older females pregnant?
Maybe she has some strange comfort in giving baby guinea pigs away?

Whatever the reason, it's sad for the guinea pigs.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
@RubyRain - I think the question was, why free? If people decide to breed, their motivation is to make money. What's in it for her if she doesn't sell the babies?

Obviously, it's not a good idea to breed. We all know why. But there doesn't seem to be any motivation for her.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
@RubyRain - I think the question was, why free? If people decide to breed, their motivation is to make money. What's in it for her if she doesn't sell the babies?

Obviously, it's not a good idea to breed. We all know why. But there doesn't seem to be any motivation for her.

Maybe her motivation is just wanting others to have guinea pigs?
Or maybe she is just careless and they are mostly accidental litters. After all, pregnancy can occur very quickly if the baby boys aren't separated at 3 wks.

Glorylocks

Cavy Slave
Maybe she has some strange comfort in giving baby guinea pigs away?

Whatever the reason, it's sad for the guinea pigs.

Thats what I was thinking! That caring for and raising the babies then seeing the delighted faces of those who recieved them could possibly some sort of therapy for her? To make her feel better about herself because she sees all these young lifes she is bringing into the world or something like that..
Still I don't agree with what she is doing and think she could have found a much better practice to deal with emotions if that is why she is doing that.
Just my thoughts..

KatiesCavies

Cavy Slave
Maybe she just likes to see the cute babies and then wants to just get rid of them....

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I wonder how much she'd like it to watch the baby guinea pigs get fed to snakes by people who love "free rodent" ads.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
"Breeding for Fun" is not very fun for the guinea pigs! I always think that if we could ask the pigs if they would like to go through a 1 in 5 chance of dying to have pups they would say "NO WAY"!

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I wonder how much she'd like it to watch the baby guinea pigs get fed to snakes by people who love "free rodent" ads.

^Totally agree!^

BTW hitting backspace will not get it flagged quicker. CL has this program for flagging that requires anywhere from 3-9 different IP addresses to make an ad get flagged. So one person on the same computer from the same IP address hitting the button over and over again does nothing. Post her ads here and we will help get them flagged. Once she finds out that her ads are just gonna get flagged she will have to find another place to get rid of the babies or stop breeding. Maybe a very nicely worded email with links to local rescues and pregnancy/shelter info and the reptile stuff about eating baby guinea pigs will make her think twice at least!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.