Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Ideas/Suggestions for expansion?

• Thread starter porkchophamster
  • Start date

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
Ok, so I want to expand my pig's cage. They are currently in a 2x3 with a 1x2 loft/kitchen area. They obviously have a ramp which takes up quite a bit of running space. So I am deciding what to do.
My 3 options are
A. Redo the loft to make it a 1x3, going the length of the cage.
B. Do away with the loft and add a 1x2 area onto the side of their cage (think of a 3x3 with a 1x1 corner missing.)
C. Keep the loft and add the 1x2 area as mentioned before.

I have heard that 3-wide cages are difficult to clean but if I have a little "nook" to squat in, I think it would be easier lol
I love the look of the loft but it is such a pain to clean their cage and lay out their fleece underneath it. I also feel like the ramp takes up too much space. I don't have a way to expand to a 2x4 or I would just do that :( I also thought about just putting the ramp on the outside but it seems difficult and I have a cat so it would need to be covered.
And last but not least, I need a stable/non-sagging lid, preferably made out of grids because I don't have money to buy the shelf thing.
Basically, I want something that isn't so difficult to clean and that maximizes their small space that can have a non-sagging lid....is it too much to ask for?
Help! lol

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
I also should add that they spend the majority of their time in the loft since it has their hay in it. They sleep up there and are up there most of the day so I feel like I am doing something wrong lol they have never been the lap-running/popcorning kinda pigs. Hamster ran a few laps when I first put them on fleece but that's all I have ever seen.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
what about putting the ramp outside the cage? add the 1x2 to the bottom, expand the ramp. Go as big as possible?

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
Is it possible/not too difficult to have a covered ramp on the outside? I've seen your cage and I LOVE it but if I had a ramp like that it would need to be covered.

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
I am leaning towards adding the 1x2 and keeping the loft the way it is.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.