Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hey, Imma a newbie with questions about guinea pigs :D

RebelPrincess

Cavy Slave
Hey, y'all! I'm getting a guinea pig soon and had a few questions about it. Well I already got the food bowl, water bottel, cage (it a pretty big cage that we used back when I had rabbits and when I make the money I will be building a C&C cage) and food. I'm going to clean out the cage and get the stuff set up and then the next day going to buy my guinea pig, hay and bedding, will I be missing anything else? If I am please write me a list :) I read somewhere that when you get your guinea pig that you should leave him or her alone for a day, but I also read that you should leave him/her alone for a few days, which is it? Or will it just depend on him/her? And what are some good ways to bond with your guinea pig? And what are some others things y'all think I should know?

Thank you!

Love, Jessie!

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
first, please don't buy a pig. check your local shelters and humane societies first. if there are none there, wait. be patient! One will come along. i'd say give it about two days, and try to get it a buddy! its a pigger's best toy. remember, same sex pairs! I woild suggest going to Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home and reading every article, it is everything you could need to know!
welcome to the forum!

Lucille

Cavy Slave
Jessie, you sound as if you've done a lot of work and research, congratulations on being such a great owner-to-be!

It would be better to adopt. I think if you hang out here and read a little, you will get info, make friends, and there is even an adoption section!!!

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Well I already got the food bowl, water bottel, cage (it a pretty big cage that we used back when I had rabbits and when I make the money I will be building a C&C cage) and food.

Does the cage have a wire bottom? (I hope not!) If it does make sure to put something sturdy over it as the wires hurt their feet and can cause bumblefoot! Welcome to the forum. :)

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Super glad you are planning to build a C&C cage. That's definitely the way to go. In the meantime, this old rabbit cage, like @Aleks asked, does it have a wire-bottom? It should not have one for guinea pigs because their feet and legs can get stuck and snagged.

Also, as others have mentioned, check petfinder to locate local shelters and rescues that have guinea pigs up for adoption. They are social critters and do better in groups so it would be a good idea to adopt more than one.

RebelPrincess

Cavy Slave
Thank you guys! And Lucille I did do a lot of research. I research for about two months and checked petfinder every day for two months hoping at least one I could adopt but no luck. And I CHECKED EVERYWHERE trying to find a place to adopt one (i really dont wanna buy from petsmart because I dont want to support them) I asked everyone I know if they knew anyone who might have some up for adoption with no luck either :/ But I live way out in the country and the closest resuce centers are like 3 to 4 hours away!! And petsmart is the closet (45 mins) and I read some where that long car rides would stress the poor little piggie out! So I tried and tried and I'm just ready to have a little piggie of my own :) and NOOOO, Aleks! The cage does NOT have a wired bottom! lol if it did I wouldnt be online now id be at the store buying suppies to build a C&C cages haha :) but thank you all again :D

RebelPrincess

Cavy Slave
And I do plan on getting another guinea pig soon and I also had to learn how to tell the difference between boy and girls so i dont accidently get a boy AND girl by mistake! I want at least four lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.