Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Nosebleed and Hiccups?

MySpottedFrog7

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig suddenly developed a nose bleed on one side of his nostrils. I know it was not from fighting. I fed him and about 20 minutes later his nose was bleeding. Everything else has been normal except that he then acted as if he had the hiccups. (as in the body moving like it does when a dog has hiccups). What causes a nosebleed in a guinea pig? My vet is closed and I won't waste my time on the emergency clinic..they barely know a guinea pig from a horse.

He is on Reglan/Propulsid long-term..could this be a side effect? Please help if you can.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Most nosebleeds are caused from irritation--possibly from continuous sneezing, or if the air is very dry.

Not sure about the hiccups--was his whole body convulsing?

MySpottedFrog7

Cavy Slave
He has not been sneezing but does cough quite a bit due to another health issue...I've been wondering if the coughing may have led to the nosebleed. I did put a humidifier in the room with him, just in case. However, the air doesnt actually seem very dry, especially for this time of year. With the "hiccups," yes, his whole body was convulsing. There has not been anything out of the normal since then, thankfully, but I am still a little worried.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.