Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

introudce my self

CRISTIAN

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
hi my name is cristian. I have 3 guinea pigs 1 that i got for free and 2 that my sister got for 12 dollars one is pregnant umm i guess thats all.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave

CRISTIAN

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
thanks for the information and the welcome. the guinea pig is probably 9weeks pregnant i got her on october 18 wth the male that came with her. i housed them in a little room that was like 5 feet by 6 feet i did not bother seperating them into i found some information online about guinea pigs and the risk of pregnantcy i hope shes okay. i would post picture but i can't find my camera.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Oh wow, a whole room? That's 30 sq ft! Amazing.
If she lived with the male before you got her, she was most likely already pregnant.
It's really good that you've separated them, as she can become pregnant immediately after delivery which is very dangerous. Do you know how old she is?
If she's never had a litter before, the cartilage between the pubic bones will become fused/stiff at 8-9 months making delivery difficult, where an emergency cesarean may be needed.

Have a look in the diet section so moma pig & pups gets all the nutrients they need.
All pigs need unlimited grass hay, a cup of veggies each daily (preferably split into two feedings), and two tablespoons of pellets.
Good pellets are Kleenmamas (sold online), Oxbow & Sweet Meadow. The mother may have unlimited pellets during her pregnancy as well as the pups, just make sure they are high quality grass pellets as most store pellets are bad.

The
daily staples of vegetables include 1/4-1/8 medium sized green or yellow bell pepper for their vitamin C intake.
Orange & red contain too much sugar to be fed daily, but 1 slice red bell pepper covers the vit C intake for the average pig. You can however experiment with different colors if your pig doesn't like the daily ones at first.

2 medium/large sized leaves of lettuce. There are many red & green leaf varieties to rotate.
No iceberg. Romaine can cause sludge (white pee stains) for some pigs, avoid if that's the case.

Cilantro is a great herb to feed daily, but there are many other herbs you can rotate.
And a cherry tomato & chunk of zucchini if your pigs enjoy it.

Feed only these until your pigs eat them, and then introduce rotational veggies per Ly's diet chart depending on season.
Just focus on the daily staples & get whatever nice local veggie you have on hand & feed like stated on the chart.
(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.