Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Water bottle help

Chenko

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig has been using lixit for the past two years. He likes the leaky ones much better. I tried using others, but they all leak and lose all of its water within a day. Sometimes when using the lixit, I'll check if he's dehydrated by filling a cup of water and holding it to his face, he drinks out of it for about one or two minutes and then he runs back to the lixit bottle. Also went to the vet several times, they said he wasn't dehydrated.

But lately, he's been drinking a lot of water, I can't tell if he's having trouble using it now, or that he's diabetic or something. I think I need to take him back for 8th time this year (we've been trying to get rid of his lice.)

Can anyone recommend a water bottle that doesn't leak at all. I check product reviews but they're always bad to mixed. I use aspen shavings and drinking water for my guinea pig. So I don't the water bottle to make me and family waste all that money. I can't use a c&c cage unless I move out.

Also, how dirty is sink water without a filter? First I switched to our filtered shower water, now I've been using our drink water, but now my sister gets mad whenever I use the lixit bottle and would much rather have me use the leaky ones.

Last edited:

Chenko

Cavy Slave
I've tried the air suction or vacuum trick, but he'll mess it up and make it leak again almost right away.

mamattorney

Cavy Slave
I can't speak to longevity, but I'm already on my second waterbottle; I couldn't get the first one (a flat back one) to stop leaking. This one I purchased at my local Pet Supplies Plus after a conversation with one of the workers who looked at them all and how each was made and seemed to knowledgeably pick this one. He said something about plastic vs. metal parts. It's the Superpet top fill bottle: Amazon.com: Super Pet Small Animal 16-Ounce Top Fill Water Bottle: Pet Supplies I'm shocked by the poor reviews on amazon as it hasn't leaked at all for me or fallen off or any of the other complaints. My guess is that there are quality control issues - you either get a good one or you get a bad one. I got a good one.

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
I have a simple Oasis dura pearl water bottle. i might get a drop or two on the bedding but thats about it. i have heard good things from Oasis and thats why i tried it and im glad i have. plus it seems like my piggies like it too here is a link so you can see it (broken link removed)

Gale_M

Cavy Slave
With some water bottles I had to put a hose washer in the cap and that stopped the leaking. I don't remember what brand they were. I now use litxit and have one that has been in my bird cage for about 10 yrs now.

Chenko

Cavy Slave
Thanks. Looking into those suggestions right now.

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
This is the water bottle I use, not sure how well reviewed it is by other members here but I like it just fine. It does not leak, and my pigs have never had trouble drinking from it. One of my boys likes to play with it though so the water spills out a lot that way, though I think that would be an issue with any water bottle and is more of an individual problem.

Here is a link. My favorite thing for this link is check out the list price. Think there was a mistake with a decimal there hahaha!

Amazon.com: Super Pet Small Animal 26-Ounce Chew-Proof Water Bottle: Pet Supplies

macysmom

Cavy Slave
I second mamattorney on the super pet top fill bottle. I got one with two pigs I adopted and it has been awsome. I've been using it about 6 months. I also have one of the chew proof ones taht Agrimony recommened and it works good too, but after having it for a year I am having problems with it leaking if it isn't screwed on just right. Not too tight and not too lose. I'll probably replace it with another of the top fills soon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.