Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK UK bedding?...

S

smelliot

UK bedding?...

Hi i am all new to this and preparing to get two little piggies of our own. So i am trying to get as much info as possible. I am buliding a 2x4 C&C with a 1x2 second level.
Is there any bedding that people can recomend that is easy to get in the UK (i live in lougborough). Also if anyone had a price on how much it will cost per change with this size cage.
Any help would be great as i want to give them the best life as possible.:D
Thanks Brian..

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: UK bedding?...

Brian, I am unfamiliar on what types of bedding are sold throughout the United Kingdom, but here's a few bedding types to look for. These listed below work great for guinea pigs:

-Carefresh
-Aspen
-Pine Shavings
-CritterCare
-Newspaper (need to be changed often)
-Towels (need to be cleaned often)

Also, do NOT use Cedar bedding, unless you mix it with another bedding. They do sell cedar bedding which is for guinea pigs, but it needs to be mixed with another bedding.

S

smelliot

Thanks for the tips. I am sure they will give me an idea of what to look out for!:rolleyes:

2steps

Hi

I'm in the uk too. I use newpaper and hay for bedding and also give my pigs a few towels which they love. I did buy some paper, carefresh type bedding but my pigs ate it all really quickly. I've been looking for somewhere I can buy hay by the bale as it's amazingly cheaper (about 3 pounds) but as I'm in London it's not proving easy. I'm going to try a stable where I used to work....

S

smelliot

Thanks 2steps for your reply:D
We have a local pet shop by us (leicestershire) he has big bags of hay but i have not look properbley at how fresh it is as yet. But i like to get stuff from small businesses as the big shops run them out of town.(plus they charge you more..)

2steps

you could shred newspaper in a paper shredder. you might even be able to get the paper unprinted.

Attachments

12165618_775996045843976_611395786_o.jpg 12165546_775660845877496_910717855_o.jpg
S

SpackyCymru79

I'm in North Wales and get most of my stuff from Petsmart (Pets at Home) as it is the only convienient and closest place. I line the bottom of the cage with newspaper, then put a small layer of their woodshavings down and then cover that with hay. I also put a big handful of hay in the corner and they eat that in no time. The hay I use is called Pets at Home Handy Hay. A lot of the farmers here sell hay by the bail cheaply but I'm just concerned about the quality and the possibility of hay mites in that kind of hay. Anybody used hay bought off a farmer?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
To be honest, i think the fresh ahy is oodles better the hay bought from stores. Packaged hay has no nutritional value.

cornhill

Cavy Slave
hay

SpackyCymru79 said:
I'm in North Wales and get most of my stuff from Petsmart (Pets at Home) as it is the only convienient and closest place. I line the bottom of the cage with newspaper, then put a small layer of their woodshavings down and then cover that with hay. I also put a big handful of hay in the corner and they eat that in no time. The hay I use is called Pets at Home Handy Hay. A lot of the farmers here sell hay by the bail cheaply but I'm just concerned about the quality and the possibility of hay mites in that kind of hay. Anybody used hay bought off a farmer?
I buy pure Timothy Hay from a horse farm in Virginia Beach. I bought a nice Rubbermade bin from Lowes and stored all my 6 bales I bought in there. The bales were only $5.85 US dollars Timothy Hay, according to my Vet, says thats the best for guinea pigs. Plus I still buy the green Timothy Hay from pet stores also for their hay rack. I hope this helps.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
hi. Has anybody tried woody pet. Ive read up about it and the reviews seem pretty good. The websites (broken link removed)

supertramp

Cavy Slave
Hay makes good bedding. Comfy and edible - what more do could a critter want for its bed eh? But I have a bit of a problem with good hay in the UK too as I've only seen two sorts, "handy hay" from petsmart and some other longer hay from focus. Nowhere on either bag does it say what kind of hay it is and I was wondering if anyone knows where you can by verifiable grass hay from, can anyone help?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I use megazorb (broken link removed) and towels.

suzannbc

Cavy Slave
Re: Re: UK bedding?...

Hello,

The best I have found is called Russell Rabbit. It was recommended to me by the cambride cavy trust, who have helped me so much over the past few months. You can buy this bedding from Wilkinsons and a lot of other pet stores. It is fairly cheap and the guinea pigs love it.

Dont forget to give the piggies lots of hay too. They like to eat the hay, a lot!!! Whereas the russell rabbit is good to snuggle down into.

Hope this helps

Suzann

jojomuffin

Cavy Slave

hiya, i only have a pets@home in my area as it bought out all the other pet shops..

but i use newspaper on the ground, fresh hay, and towles in their pigloos.

im also on the lookout for snuggly bed stuff, but can only find stuff for hamsterslol

x

Furkidsmommy

Cavy Slave

Also, do NOT use Cedar bedding, unless you mix it with another bedding. They do sell cedar bedding which is for guinea pigs, but it needs to be mixed with another bedding.
Do NOT ever use cedar, not even in small amounts, not mixed, not ever. Very Bad idea.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.