Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Pneumonia question

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
Would pneumonia be considered the same as a URI in a piggy?

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
Sorry if that's a silly question. There is just a LOT of info on piggy's having URI's but not a whole lot about them having pneumonia. And I am also a fairly new piggy mom and this is our first experience with a sick piggy and I am a little freaked out by all the horror stories I've heard.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Pneumonia affects the lower respiratory tract from what I know. It needs to be treated more vigorously than a regular URI. (again, from what I know)

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
Ok, thank you very much for your response. The vet is treating her aggressively with two antiboitics and an anti-inflammatory med. Her lungs looked REALLY bad on the xray but the good thing is she is still eating and drinking so hopefully she will get this beat. :)

MissJean

Cavy Slave
I wish you and your pig the best! May she have a very speedy recovery!

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
Thank you MissJean!

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
sick piggy

My piggy has been on meds for pneumonia and has a follow up xray tomorrow with the vet. She has been quarantined for 10 days tomorrow and I am hoping the vet says she can be put back in her regular cage with my other girls. My question is: if the vet says to put her back with her piggy friends, do I need to do a full regular introduction in a neutral place etc? It has only been 10 days so I'm just not sure if I need to do that or if I can just put her in. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give!

guineaprincess

Cavy Slave
I had 2 boys that were separated as one got Ill (twisted ankle) they were separated for a week or so and couldn't go back together as they kept fighting, but as yours are girls they may be OK as my boys were not neutered. Hope your piggy gets better :) x

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
Thank you!!!

3cpiggies

Cavy Slave
I would definitely watch them for a few hours to make sure that they are getting along. They will most likely be trying to reestablish the social order. I once separated one of my females from my other two for three days and when she went back there was a big ruckus. There was a lot of teeth chattering and chasing between two of them for a few hours. It took them just about two weeks for them to completely calm down and sleep next to each other and cuddle like before. It will be different with every pig but just make sure there is no blood drawn.

3cpiggies

Cavy Slave
Good luck with your piggie. She sounds like she is getting the care she needs.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Good luck with your piggy! Please keep us updated on her recovery. It sounds like you are a good piggy mum and your taking care of her correctly.

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
Well I guess I should def do the full neutral territory introduction then just to be on the safe side. (and this is if the vet says she can go back in with the other girls tomorrow! I've got my fingers crossed!) Thank you for your advice! :)

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
Good luck with your piggie. She sounds like she is getting the care she needs.

Thank you! I'm doing everything I can so I am really hoping for good xray results tomorrow!

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
Good luck with your piggy! Please keep us updated on her recovery. It sounds like you are a good piggy mum and your taking care of her correctly.

Thank you!!! I will let you guys know how it turns out!

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
Ok, so my piggy doesn't have pneumonia but has a lung abscess. She is on antibiotics long term right now. She has been on the antibiotics since 12-28-12 and is handling them nicely. (other than she really doesn't like actually taking them lol) I was just wondering though, would you give your pig extra veggies when sick/on antibiotics? What about unlimited pellets? (just to make sure she doesn't lose weight) I know about pellet soup and critical care but she doesn't really seem like she is at the point of needing either of those. She is actually eating pretty well other than being a little pickier with what she eats than my other 3. Her weight has dropped a little...about 12 grams in the last 10 days. So I just thought maybe she could use some extra veggies or pellets but wanted to get others opinions.

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
I'd offer extra vit. C-rich veggies for sure.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It's a hard call, because you don't want to give her so much veggies/greens/pellets that she neglects her hay. Often sick pigs aren't eating enough hay and wind up with dental problems. Do you ever give her fresh grass? That would certainly help to add calories and also provide the dental benefits. Make sure you introduce them to her slowly, working up to a handful or two a day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.