PDA

View Full Version : Adoption websites

BadRobot389
12-28-12, 04:23 am
I live in Jacksonville FL and I've been having a hard time finding Guinea Pigs for adoption that aren't less than two hours away. I know I know I should be willing to drive that far away and while I am 20 I do still live with my parents and I don't have a job, so it'd be up to them to pay for the little piggies and probably drive with me to get them (I have no sense of direction lol) and I don't know if they'd be willing to drive more than two hours away just to adopt two guinea pigs, they have said it's OK to get two guinea pigs but I don't know if they'd be willing to drive two hours or more to get them. So I was hoping some had a list of websites or something of Guinea Pigs for adoption that are close by :D

Iklepink
12-28-12, 04:31 am
Have you gone on the 'Adopt a Guinea Pig' tab at the top of this page?

WheekingPiggies
12-28-12, 07:02 am
You can also try looking on petfinder, or, as a last resort, criegslist.

Jamie
12-28-12, 08:46 pm
I just had this same problem and posted about it yesterday. I live in Sarasota, Florida and couldn't find any guinea pig rescues or shelters nearby. Someone linked me to a Craigslist ad that had a guinea pig someone wanted to give to a good home, in my city. I contacted the owner yesterday and am picking my new piggy up tomorrow. :) So definitely try looking on Craigslist in your city.

Kellyvs1013
12-28-12, 10:39 pm
I just had this same problem and posted about it yesterday. I live in Sarasota, Florida and couldn't find any guinea pig rescues or shelters nearby. Someone linked me to a Craigslist ad that had a guinea pig someone wanted to give to a good home, in my city. I contacted the owner yesterday and am picking my new piggy up tomorrow. :) So definitely try looking on Craigslist in your city.
Yay! Congratulations!!

BadRobot389
12-29-12, 01:48 am

That's awesome! Congratulations!! :D I'll definitely be checking out Craigslist, hope everything goes well with you're guinea pigs :]

BadRobot389
12-29-12, 01:53 am
You can also try looking on petfinder, or, as a last resort, criegslist.

Have you gone on the 'Adopt a Guinea Pig' tab at the top of this page?

Yes I have gone to both of these's but most of them are at least an hour two drive, I guess I'll just have to talk my parents in to doing it lol Thank-you for the suggestions though. I was hoping for a list of sites I haven't checked haha

T_Licious
12-29-12, 07:06 am
I would contact the head of the rescue personally. Many times these piggies are in foster homes that could be much closer to you than the actual rescue. Did you check the GA CL too? I would just keep checking, piggies pop up on there all the time, you just have to be patient.

mufasa
12-29-12, 08:16 am
Jacksonville's a pretty big place and it has pet stores. Where there's pet stores, there's pigs needing adoption. Just keeping watching Craigslist for the influx of post-Christmas pigs as people get sick of them or discover that they require (gasp) work to take care of.

Personally I don't think two hours is too long to drive, although I have a car so I don't have to depend on someone else. We drove an hour to adopt Borat, and then Amy. Think of how little two hours is in the cosmic scheme of things when it means saving a life.

2198lindsey
12-29-12, 10:28 am
I think I'm about 2 hours away from you and I was very lucky to find a rescue about 25 minutes away from me. If you are interested in some pigs I would definitely contact the head of the rescue because sometimes they are even willing to meet you half way. Definitely check Craigslist, I check daily even though I have no room for anymore pigs Lol

BadRobot389
12-30-12, 06:18 am
I would contact the head of the rescue personally. Many times these piggies are in foster homes that could be much closer to you than the actual rescue. Did you check the GA CL too? I would just keep checking, piggies pop up on there all the time, you just have to be patient.

Mmm no but I'll try that, thank-you! :] And yea I know I'm just getting a little frustrated, but you're right I just need to be patient.

BadRobot389
12-30-12, 06:24 am
Jacksonville's a pretty big place and it has pet stores. Where there's pet stores, there's pigs needing adoption. Just keeping watching Craigslist for the influx of post-Christmas pigs as people get sick of them or discover that they require (gasp) work to take care of.

Personally I don't think two hours is too long to drive, although I have a car so I don't have to depend on someone else. We drove an hour to adopt Borat, and then Amy. Think of how little two hours is in the cosmic scheme of things when it means saving a life.

Yea I've been hearing that about the post Christmas build up of piggies needing adoption, so I'll definitely keep that in mind :D Yea just when it's someone you've never met and you don't really know what to expect and the cost of gas it can be a little off putting, I honestly was at first just say "screw it" in regards to the distance and long drives and go to a pet store and get two guinea pigs but I really wanna do this right and not add to the cycle of bad living conditions for the piggies so I'm trying to be patient and do all I can to look into adopting from shelters and whatnot, that way when I do find one that's not too far away I'll know what I'm getting into and won't be so anxious about (it's not an excuse but I have Social Anxiety and the idea of going to some strangers house to get some guinea pig's is daunting :/ )

mufasa
12-30-12, 08:36 am
It may help a little with the anxiety to cognitively reframe the situation. Find a positive focus, like viewing it as your chance to both save needy pigs and collect as much information about them as possible. Be prepared to observe the conditions and have a list of questions to ask so you don't have to think of things to say on the fly. Having something else to focus on and being prepared may help keep the anxiety at a manageable level.

I got Amy from Craigslist, and seeing her previous home gave me insights into her behavior and personality. Hopefully you'll find some good Criaglist prospects and everything will work out for you.

ThePigAlchemist
12-30-12, 11:22 am
I think it's totally understandable to not want to go to a stranger's house to get a guinea pig. I haven't gone the Craigslist route, but I think if I did, I would want to meet in a public area near the other person's house, and I'd bring a friend or two. That might be a little paranoid, but it seems safer to me.