PDA

View Full Version : Cannot find any shelters/rescues near my town.. Other options?

Jamie
12-27-12, 01:43 pm
I live in Sarasota, Florida and have been searching the internet frantically for a shelter or rescue that has any guinea pigs. Unfortunately, I cannot find any that are near my city. I am a new guinea pig owner and have had my 5-month-old-ish male guinea pig for a little over a month. I am very aware that guinea pigs need a friend and I should have gotten a second one when I got him, but I had no idea at the time what kind of guinea pig would be best for him to live with. Although I have plenty of free time and can spend lots of time with my little guy, I can tell what he really wants is another guinea pig who he can truly enjoy spending time with.

I got my current guinea pig at a Petco (I know, not the best idea), but after doing lots of research I understand why you shouldn't get any pets from pet stores. So I really wanted to adopt another guinea pig but since I can't find any near me, what should be my next step? I can't find any adult males near me on Craigslist either, so should I post my own ad on Craigslist? Is that even a good idea? I'm really excited about adding another guinea pig and am buying a C&C cage big enough and everything, I'm just not sure where I should get one without going to a pet store..

RodentCuddles
12-27-12, 01:47 pm
If there are pet shops, there are guinea pigs needing homes...especially after Christmas when parents would of brought their kids piggies only to want to throw them away now because the kids either don't care, don't want them or the piggies are too much work and the parents then teach the kids that animals are just disposable...

Is this guy to far away? http://sarasota.craigslist.org/pet/3504152930.html

There are a few on craigslist but the boy I listed before is the only one I could find in Sarasota... (Would getting your boy de-sexed and getting girl be an option?)

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/search/pet?query=Guinea+pig&srchType=A&zoomToPosting=

Carissa6729
12-27-12, 01:59 pm
Welcome to 4 Lil Pigs n Buns, Inc! (http://www.pigsnbuns.org/index.html)

This is a rescue that works in your area. I have no idea how good they are but from a quick scan of their site, they seem to know the basics of good care. It looks like they have foster family's set up all around the area surrounding your city with most being less then an hour drive from you. Maybe they can help?

As RodentCuddles said, their will be tons of guinea pigs unfortunately becoming available over the next couple of months as kids get bored of their Christmas gifts so I would just keep checking around. Something will come up.

Good luck in your search!

mufasa
12-27-12, 02:06 pm
Definitely check out Four Lil Pigs N Buns. I looked into them earlier this year and they're a great place with lots of piggies needing forever homes. Don't give up on Craigslist either. Sadly, @RodentCuddles (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=23045) is right on target with the fact that the Christmas guinea pig dump will start shortly. As a last resort, ask the Petco where you got your first pig if they take in unwanted pigs. Some do and adopt them out separately from their sale pigs. Just make sure any fee goes to the charity fund, not to the store itself.

mufasa
12-27-12, 02:56 pm
Just thought of something else, but it's too late to add it to my previous post. Do you check the Tampa Craigslist? If not, definitely do so. I check it periodically and there are almost always many guinea pig listings. A lot of them seem to be by USF students who must get the pigs as dorm pets or get them for school and then not want to take them home. Search only the word pig or pigs because people misspell guinea a lot. Good luck!

Jamie
12-27-12, 03:23 pm
Thank you so much everyone for helping me! I will look into all of your suggestions. Another question though, I read somewhere that since my guinea pig is young, I should get an adult one because two of that same age may fight more or something.. Is that true? Do I need to get one of a certain age or does it not matter if they're similar in age?

ThePigAlchemist
12-27-12, 03:32 pm
The only combination I have had is with two young males. My two got along (with some humping and rumblestrutting, but no fighting) just fine even through puberty, but it depends on the personalities involved. If you get an adult to pair up with your young pig, you only have to worry about one pig going through puberty, which can be helpful, but pretty much any age combination can work. It just depends on the pigs' personalities.

Jamie
12-27-12, 07:25 pm
Alright, I found one already! The Craigslist ad RodentCuddles suggested was a 3-month-old boy, I contacted the owner and she said she bought him three weeks ago and doesn't think he's the right pet for her. Well I think he'll work out great with my little guy. I'm picking up the new one on Saturday. :) Thanks again everybody for the all the advice!

CavyMama
12-27-12, 07:28 pm
That's awesome! Good luck with the new little one! Feel free to ask questions. We were all new to it at one time :-)

RodentCuddles
12-27-12, 07:32 pm
yay! Glad I could help! (:

Haha, pretty good for someone who has never ever used Craigslist before! lol

mufasa
12-27-12, 08:03 pm
Congratulations! Craigslist is a great source. That's where I found my Amy. It's kind of cool when you get to meet the previous owners and see the environment that your pig comes from. With Amy, we were greeting by a big, boisterous dog demanding petting and there was kid chaos, so I could see why she's used to almost everything, LOL.

RubyRain
12-27-12, 11:44 pm
Here is some good info on intros with piggies:
Guinea Pig Companionship (http://jackiesguineapiggies.com/Companionship.html)

Jamie
12-28-12, 03:38 pm
mufasa - The only thing I'm concerned about is that the owner doesn't seem to have much knowledge on guinea pigs. I'm pretty sure she's been spending barely any time with him or feeding him the proper diet. I really hope he won't be sick or scared of humans. :/

On a brighter note, I've been looking for a proper-sized cage for the two of them that's not too pricy. I found one on eBay and it says it's big enough for two to three piggies, but they could just be saying that to sell. Anyone care to check out this link and let me know if you think it's big enough? New Large 56" x 28" Guinea Pig Cage with 2nd Level | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LARGE-56-x-28-Guinea-Pig-cage-with-2nd-level-/261139865049?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccd261dd9)

Also, I will quarantine the new one for two weeks. They will be in the same room but at completely opposite ends. But when I do get to introducing them, if things work out and they seem to be getting along, do I immediately put them in a cage together? Or separate them and do a few more introductions? And right now I have two cages (that are not big enough for two piggies) my current pig will stay in his and the new one will be kept in the other one until after quarantine. When it is time for them to be put together in a cage, should I put them both in the new big cage at the same time? Or do one at a time? I'm not sure if getting a new cage mate AND a new cage will be too much stress on them.

RubyRain
12-28-12, 05:08 pm
Be sure to check the cage store here first because the shipping is free compared to what you posted which is $35 for shipping.
Yes, that is a good size for 2 piggies.
Here is a good link for intros:
Guinea Pig Companionship (http://jackiesguineapiggies.com/Companionship.html)

RodentCuddles
12-28-12, 11:35 pm
Also, I will quarantine the new one for two weeks. They will be in the same room but at completely opposite ends.

That isn't quarantining the new pig then, If they have mites or something that your guy can catch (eg. fungal) your pig can get it if it is in the same room, no matter if he's just across the room.
Quarantining is putting the new pig in another room, and at least washing your hands (and if possible swapping clothes) for once you leave the new pig.

But when I do get to introducing them, if things work out and they seem to be getting along, do I immediately put them in a cage together? Or separate them and do a few more introductions?

You put them into an cleaned cage (nothing that smells like your old guy) together, lots of introductions were you put them together then take them away is very stressful for the pigs.

Good web-link for intros:
Guinea Pigs Social Life (http://cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions)

When it is time for them to be put together in a cage, should I put them both in the new big cage at the same time? Or do one at a time? I'm not sure if getting a new cage mate AND a new cage will be too much stress on them.

Putting them both into the new cage with-out either of them having been in it before is the best thing possible to do. That means it has no smell of anyone ones territory and they both can claim it together. I always get my mum to hold the other pig(s) after we do intros so we can put all the pigs down in the newly clean fresh smelling cage at the same time.

For introductions I put them in a very large area at the same time, the area has lots of hay piles and a couple of vege piles and some tunnels and hidey houses (but not ones with only one entrance/exit) and then keep an close eye on them for at least the first hour, then if all is going fine I allow myself to leave for small periods of time. I usually leave them in the run for around 2 and a half - 5 hours to be on the safe side.