Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Has anyone succesfully cut grids?

cutemomome

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hi,
I am thinking of a cage design that would require cutting my grids, or at least emptying out a section (2*3) out of 2 of the grids. I've bought 2 different cutters, and no luck.
Has anyone here had successsful cut those grids before? Please do help!!!
Momo

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
I used a metal saw to cut the grids and then used a peice of sand paper to dull them down. It worked well for me.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I have cut grids. To cut the thicker outside you need bolt cutters or a pipe cutting disc for a circular saw. To cut the thinner inner bars I used wire cutters. I clamped on the wire cutters and worked them back and forth scoring into the wire until it cut through. I then used a heavy file to smooth away the rough/sharp edges.

cutemomome

Cavy Slave
I am a little confused, when you say "metal saw", I think that's what I bought too, does it look like a fat scissors?
Bolt cutters? Is it ones of those electrical ones???
If it is possible, could you please please tell me the made, or attach a picture, so I know what I am suppose to look for this weekend???
Thank you all so much!
Momo

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Which one of those would work for the inside parts of the grids? The last one?

cutemomome

Cavy Slave
Thank you voodoojoint, I recognize the one I've bought, it is actually more for cutting sheet metals. I think a bolt-cutter looks strong enough to cut the inner grids, but "nonfatal" enough for me to handle!
Thanks again for your help!
Momo

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Big bolt cutters can be expensive but very handy to own. They are also easy to use. The bigger the bolt cutter the less strength you will need to cut through.

If bolt cutters are out of your price range you can always bring your grids marked where they should be cut and play "the poor stupid girl" at the hardware store. Believe me it works every time even if they don't want to help you. Before you know it you will have 5 "big strong" hardware employees all trying to cut your "cute little project" for you.

Dag. I used the wire cutters to cut out the inner wires. It takes some fiddling and rotating the cutters against the wire of the grid to cut through but it can be done. Just be certain to snip away and file down those sharp cut edges.

cutemomome

Cavy Slave
You know what, that "poor little stupid girl" trick sounded like what I need!!! Since I started this cage remodeling project, I've been walking around Home Depot and Lowes with my girls' PIGtures in my bag, and you won't believe the freebies I got.
So far, I've got 2 pieces of free wood, already cut and trimed to my L-shaped ramp dimenesions.
I've got 4 pieces of spare PVC pipe for the new girl, in case she won't use the ramp.
Free linoleum pieces, I've got no idea what to do with them...
Free carpet scraps for ramp cover.
: ) Heehee.....
......*blush*......
Looks like I need to make that face with the bolt-cutter expedition again!

Zeander

Cavy Slave
Ain't it great being a girl? :)

toffeepig

Cavy Slave
ya know, sometimes I kinda feel guilty playing the "weaker sex" card, but da*n do I know how to work it!!!!

Rocinante

Cavy Slave
Zeander said:
Ain't it great being a girl? :)

Haha, as a guy, I must say that it must be some sort of instinct that obligates us to help defenseless women. Also, even the slightest chance of us being able to hookup helps your cause.

(broken link removed)

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Rocinante said:
Haha, as a guy, I must say that it must be some sort of instinct that obligates us to help defenseless women.
And we women thank you for that. I am plenty handy with tools. I've built a wall with door to seperate my kitchen and create office space, I've installed windows where no windows were and I'm about to build an addition onto the back of the house myself. But, if playing the "poor stupid girl" gets me free stuff or get's grids/plywood/etc cut so I don't have to buy an expensive tool I'll do it.
Rocinante said:
Also, even the slightest chance of us being able to hookup
Any believe me...we women know what you guys are thinking. That's why I wear my short shorts and middie shirts to the hardware store. I walk in and have more guys offering to help me then I know what to do with. Sorry to play you like that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.