Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is 5lb of Timothy hay for $10.00??

sweetdaisy

Cavy Slave
is 5lb timothy hay for $10.00 a pretty good deal and is that a lot of Hay? I cant seem to visuallize it. I just buy the little bags from the store

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
It depends how many pigs you have. My four boys go through about 9 pounds in 3-4 weeks. So to me five pounds isn't much, if you only have two five pounds should last a month or so. It tends to be cheaper to buy in bulk but that seems like an okay price.

Just for future reference you don't need to start two threads on the same thing.

sweetdaisy

Cavy Slave
ok sorry I just thought maybe I would get a quicker reply. Thank you I wont do that again. Sorry :(

pennick

Cavy Slave
I purchase 9lbs for 2 piggies. It lasts me approx. 3 months.

Tatalp

Cavy Slave
I'd get a bigger bag, but it's a pretty good deal. For me, ordering from KM's is about $2 a pound because of shipping coast to coast, but that's better then pet stores, because there it costs about $10 for a 1 pound bag!

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I order the maximum amount from km. It's just over $1 a pound and stored properly hay doesn't go bad for a long time. I wouldn't keep it for more than 6months though. It does start to break down and lose nutrient value. With 8 pigs 5lbs would last me 1 time of filling the cages so if I bought hay for $2 a pound the squeakies wouldn't be getting peppers very often. If your closer to oxbowhay.com it could be even cheaper.

Tatalp

Cavy Slave
aqh88 said:
I order the maximum amount from km. It's just over $1 a pound and stored properly hay doesn't go bad for a long time. I wouldn't keep it for more than 6months though. It does start to break down and lose nutrient value. With 8 pigs 5lbs would last me 1 time of filling the cages so if I bought hay for $2 a pound the squeakies wouldn't be getting peppers very often. If your closer to oxbowhay.com it could be even cheaper.
Yeah, Oxbow's in the Carolinas, right? It's close to me, but I really want to try KM because everyone says it's so good. The last time I got oxbow it was brown and the pigs didn't really like it. I have 2 pigs, so if I got the biggest, it would go bad before I finished it off.

Plummie

Cavy Slave
I don't think KM even offers hay in 5 lb. quantities? I believe the smallest is 9 lbs. If I had two piggies and was going to order from KM's hayloft, I would get the 25 lbs for $13 + shipping. It's a MUCH better deal even with the added shipping cost and it will last your two piggers quite a while (but not too long that it would go bad). Hay stored in cardboard boxes with no plastic bagging around it will keep for over 6 months easily.

I would suggest trying 1/2 bluegrass and 1/2 timothy. When I ordered from KM, my chins and pigs really liked them both, but the bluegrass especially. At the time, the timothy was very coarse and stiff so not their favorite of Kleenmama's. Now I strictly buy hay locally from a feed store and I pay only $30 for 130 pounds of excellent western timothy. One bale lasts me about 6 months. So to answer your original question, 5 lbs. of hay for $10 is not such a great deal from my viewpoint.

pennick

Cavy Slave
Just want to mention that the last time I ordered hay from KM was sometime in the fall, maybe October and I got 3rd cut. I thought 3rd cut was absolutely fantastic. No comparison to 2nd Cut. Wasn't so happy with the last shipment from KM but then I realized that this was 2nd cut. That's why I am ordering 9lbs and will then order the larger quantity when 3rd cut is in.

Plummie

Cavy Slave
Yep I probably got the 2nd cut with my order. It was alright but very stiff and not the quality I was hoping for. I would image the 3rd cut is much better, that or the bluegrass, which is terrific.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.