Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Bedding

Nicole - Adel

Cavy Slave
Hi all I am soon to be a new cavy owner and have spent the last couple of weeks researching different sites about looking after my cavies. I have 2 girls due to be picked up on Sunday (both about 6 months old). I have built a C&C cage for them and I am now ready to organise the bedding for them. However I am finding it very hard to decide on what sort of bedding to use. There cage is located in our dining room which we never use but that is close to our kitchen and bedroom and I therefore am after something that is not going to be too smelly but also cost effective. Help please!

icesprite

Cavy Slave
I use fleece bedding. As long as I keep up with the cage cleaning, it doesn't smell. Would write more, but have to go - sorry :)

honeysmum

Cavy Slave
Hi Nicole - we use fleece in a c & c cage. It is in our dining room, too. This is in part of a large open plan area including living room and kitchen and we haven't had any trouble with smells. I put down some old towels first and then the fleece over the top. Have found doing a quick morning and/or evening poo pick up every day makes cleaning up much easier and quicker. Since fleece though is not a great partner for hay and/or straw, I bought a large plastic stacking box at Bunnings - about 600mm long x 450 mm wide and 100mm high. I sit this in one end on top of the fleece and have a layer of litter in the bottom, then newspaper and then top up with hay/straw. The tub is low enough that our two girls just climb in and out easily and they have virtually toilet trained themselves and mostly go in the one place now! Good luck.

Nicole - Adel

Cavy Slave
Thankyou so much Honeysmum. I was very pleased to receive your message and help. I have bought straw for use today when I pick them up but I am finding it has a very strong odour. I think fleece sounds like just what I want as that is the only worry I have is the smell. We are very excited about picking up our girls today. Thanks also for the info about a litter box in the corner. How often do you wash the fleece and towels? Is once or twice a week enough?

honeysmum

Cavy Slave
Glad to help. I change the fleece and towels over once a week and put through the wash, however, I change the hay tray every two or three days and refill with fresh newspaper and straw. We empty everything from the hay/litter tray straight into our compost bin - the worms and garden love it!

Nicole - Adel

Cavy Slave
Hi again Honeysmum. I just wanted to clarify with you about your bedding arrangements. I am getting organised this week to go and buy some fleece etc and I want to do a litter box for the corner also. You said you put a layer of litter down first (is that kitty litter that you can buy from the supermarket?)

honeysmum

Cavy Slave
Hi again! Please shop carefully for the litter - yes it is sold as "cat" litter but most of them are a clay based material which generate a lot of dust which is not good for the piggies lungs (or ours I would imagine). There is one we have been using which has been great - called Max's Cat & Pet Litter. Comes in a blue box 3 kg and made by CopRice. This one has an RSPCA endorsement but we like it because it is guaranteed to be completely organic and biodegradable and the granules are virtually dust free. There is another litter on the market apparently made from recycled paper, but I haven't been able to get some to try but it also sounds terrific. Good luck with your new pets!

Nicole - Adel

Cavy Slave
Thanks again for your advice.

cavysrcool

Cavy Slave
Hi, Nicole I see you are from Adelaide also, just wondering where you found your cubes, I found some at the warehouse but they were very expensive.

Nicole - Adel

Cavy Slave
Hi there I got the cubes from Big W in Marion. They were about $15 for a set of 4 much cheaper than the warehouse where I also noticed they were very pricey. Big W was the only place besides the warehouse that I could find them though. Hope that helps!:)

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
I use care fresh, it is orderless/absorbent. I used to use apen shavings they are good too!

cavysrcool

Cavy Slave
Hi, thanks for your reply I will definately check that out. Marions only a short drive from me so thats really handy.

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
Hi! (I wanted to say that! 7 out of 12 posts start with HI!)
I use these aspen shavings (?) and newspaper. It works pretty well and keeps the pigs warm at night (so says my mum) although cleaning gets pretty stinky. I once used towels but it really ruined the towels and it smelled pretty bad. Newspaper, I guess, can be used as a last resort, if you can't find anything! Good luck with the pigs!!!

Taco
Supreme Ruler of the Universe!!! OBEY!

enchantingcavy

Cavy Slave
Hey Guys,

I've always used Hysorb Woodshavings. The reason this brand is because it's dust extracted. You can buy a huge bag for around $10 from your local produce store and for only a couple of piggies the bag would last you probably 2 months. I just do a thick layer of newspaper then the woodshavings on top. Used to use straw the it can poke piggies eyes and small splintery bits can get stuck in their eyes so yeah the woodshavings are alot safer. It's very absorbent and tidy aswell. I have a c & c grid cage in my room with two of my piggies and the woodshavings seem to be neat and tidy I was worried they'd flick them onto the floor but seems ok so far....

This is a small connector cage i made just to test the woodshavings indoors...The piggy in the pic nis a rescue boy he's found a new home now:D

The fleece sounds great to though! The ones in the pics with fleece lined cages look so clean hehe would be great for indoor piggies. If you do use fleece or material bedding though remember to supply lots of HAY for your piggies as they need to have something to constantly chew on otherwise they could get back teeth overgrowth from lack of grinding.

Breeders Choice Kitty Litter is a recycled paper kitty litter and is super absorbent and really environmentally friendly to .I've tried it before and it has no odor it's really good stuff to hehe...

I have a page on my webby you might find handy it has lots of bedding exampls and the pros/cons of each and might help you to decide whats best for you... (broken link removed)

Cheers!:)
*~jesss~*

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.