Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Three year old going on bald

cavycache

Cavy Slave
Pig: Holly, female, three years old, no know medical issues
Cage: 25 sq ft C&C in an open room with regular cleaning (fleece and towel bedding) etc, lived with three other females for about two years
Diet: Sweet Meadow Adult timothy pellets, Sweet Meadow timothy hay, vegetables
Problem: About a week ago I started noticing thinning hair on Holly's back and stomach. The patch of thinning hair has expanded and now it goes all the way up to behind her ears. None of the other girls showed any of the same hair thinning. Earlier today I took them all to the exotic pet vet in town. The vet checked for mites, lack of nourishment, and ovarian cysts. All the pigs have a clean bill of health, except that Holly is still losing hair. The vet prescribed a vitamin c supplement in case of vitamin c deficiency. The vet does not know what is causing the hair thinning. If anyone has any ideas or similar problems please reply.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
It sounds like mites to me. How did the vet check for mites? Skin scrapings are usually unsuccessful.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Skin scrapings are rarely conclusive so I wouldn't even have them tested that way. I'd just treat her for mites.

cavycache

Cavy Slave
The vet tested for mites on all of the pigs and there were none. She tested the some hairs from each pig and the ear wax of Holly as well.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I'd still treat for mites, It's really hard for vets to find them.

cavycache

Cavy Slave
I would think that if Holly had mites, then the other pigs would have it as well and show similar signs of hair thinning.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Not necessarily, some people believe that all animals carry mites but it is not until there is an out-brake that they show and cause troubles, the out brakes can sometimes be caused be stress.
I really would not rule out mites just because the others aren't showing it.

Even if it's not mites, it wouldn't hurt to treat them for it. It's easy to do, and rather safe to use so there isn't any risk you'd be taking on treating them, but there is one if you don't and she does happen to have mites. :)

I would treat for mites, but keep looking for other things it could be.

How did your vet check for ovarian cysts?

cavycache

Cavy Slave
How did your vet check for ovarian cysts?
She checked the nipples and gave everyone a physical exam to look for unnatural lumps. The vet said that Holly did not show any signs of an ovarian cyst besides the hair thinning.

I think I am going to treat everyone for mites, but is there a cheaper way to do that from home? I don't particularly want to make another trip to the vet to pick up some invermectin.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
You don't need to go to the vets for treatment for mites, I treat the rescue ones with Revolution as It's easiest for me to get.

Just search up what you can use to treat mites with and pick the easiest for you to get; In some countries you can buy invermectin with-out going to the vets (not here though)

https://www.guinealynx.info/antiparasitics.html# << might help

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I think I am going to treat everyone for mites, but is there a cheaper way to do that from home? I don't particularly want to make another trip to the vet to pick up some invermectin.

This is what I plan on ordering to treat George in case he does have any and just for a preventative measure: (broken link removed)

It should last a fairly long time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.