Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury I am the WORST Guinea Pig Mom EVER!

Lilathandra

Cavy Slave
So as some of you know we had babies last week. So I had them out and they were running all over the place. Our little girl jumped from my arm and fell to the floor which was about a foot and a half drop. It was to late to take her to the vet that night but I was able to take her the next morning.

The vet told me that it could be spinal but she was so little that there wasn't much that he could do for her and to confine her to a small cage and put mom in with her several times a day and give it about a week. He felt around and said that He couldn't feel any breaks for fractures.

So today I check on her. Shes not eating much and not drinking from the water bottle. She is eating some hay and is nursing off mom but shes not moving her entire left side legs. She holds her front paw up and she just lets her back leg hang.

I called the vet and they told me to feed her oatmeal and pureed spinach. I called another vet to get a second opinion. So I am waiting for them to call me back.

So my question is what can I do? Can I feed her oatmeal? Is it possible its spinal? If it is they told me they would have to put her down. They won't give her pain meds because she is so small. I have been bawling since this has happen and I don't know what to do to fix it.

jolo9534

Cavy Slave
im sorry to hear that happen, honestly i would just go with what the vet says.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
I'll defer to other folks on the dietary issues -- the spinach makes sense to me, not so sure about the oatmeal unless it is for bulk / filler? Can you give her water with a dropper?

If there isn't any internal damage, as with organs, and she has some movement of her front paw, why are they insisting on putting her to sleep? One of our boars has partial paralysis on the left side. He has some movement, but we have to get his teeth floated (the paralysis affects one side of his jaw) and we make adjustments with his cage layout and how we handle him. He is also blind and partially deaf. He is also one of the happiest pigs you'll ever meet.

I've seen other folks on the forum with special needs pigs, too, involving paralysis / limb issues.

I guess what I'm wondering is that if she is able to get eating and drinking, and you are willing to work with her, is it absolutely necessary to put her down? It's your call of course and I don't mean any pressure, but I'm just throwing it out there.

Lilathandra

Cavy Slave
I'll defer to other folks on the dietary issues -- the spinach makes sense to me, not so sure about the oatmeal unless it is for bulk / filler? Can you give her water with a dropper?

If there isn't any internal damage, as with organs, and she has some movement of her front paw, why are they insisting on putting her to sleep? One of our boars has partial paralysis on the left side. He has some movement, but we have to get his teeth floated (the paralysis affects one side of his jaw) and we make adjustments with his cage layout and how we handle him. He is also blind and partially deaf. He is also one of the happiest pigs you'll ever meet.

I've seen other folks on the forum with special needs pigs, too, involving paralysis / limb issues.

I guess what I'm wondering is that if she is able to get eating and drinking, and you are willing to work with her, is it absolutely necessary to put her down? It's your call of course and I don't mean any pressure, but I'm just throwing it out there.

I questioned the vet on the food it didn't make sense to me either. I could under stand mixing pellets with water to get something in her. We have been trying to give her water with a dropper but not had much luck.

She is not moving her left paws at all. She can't move around. He said that it could be her spine and if it was there is nothing they can do to help her but to put her down. They also told me to call if she starts just dragging her paws.

I am not looking for advice on putting her down as that is not an option right now. But I am looking for advice on what others would suggest I do to help her. She doesn't move. I cry every time I hold her. I was holding her for an hour and she didn't move once.

I was hoping that someone else may have advice on how to take care of her and how to help her. I am doing the best that I know how but I could really use some helpful advice.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Do you have access to any critical care? Also, I've heard folks using baby food (carrot, spinach, anything pig-friendly) as a mix-in, both because it's easy to swallow and nutritious.

Do you think she's getting enough milk from Mom that she doesn't need to drink water so much?

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
@Lilathandra , I am so sorry.

How many babies are there with mom? I am assuming the vet suggested a separate cage to prevent her from being hurt further by other siblings. This makes sense, yet I worry that she has no time to nurse and that she lacks the companionship and warmth from the others.

You need to keep her warm, and she needs to eat. The pureed spinach is good. Baby food is also an option (get one without fillers). Or canned pumpkin. Oatmeal, hmmmm... is probably okay, but I would worry about choking and the thickness of it. I think the spinach would be easier to get into her. I personally would skip the oatmeal and would do the pureed veg and perhaps some critical care. It's good she is eating some hay. Make a little nest for her of the hay to sleep in, so she has a snack right there.

I would also give her more opportunities to nurse with mom. If she is not eating much on her own, this is the best opportunity for nutrition for her. If all are quiet in the cage, you may sit there and allow her in with them all. I would sit and supervise the whole time, so that she is not bullied, pushed away from mom, or walked all over. If the other babies start getting crazy and active, take her out for a bit.

You can also just carefully hold her. Let her snuggle up on your upper chest so she is on skin and warm. She can hear your heartbeat, and it's calming. Keep her comfortable, try to keep her from being isolated and whenever there is opportunity to have her with mom (careful not to deprive the others) you should do so. Just do your best, and show her lots of love.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
NO oatmeal... Guinea pigs cannot process grains very well. You need to mash up alfalfa pellets with water and pumpkin (or other plain veg baby food) and syringe feed it to her ever hour around the clock! www.guinealynx.info is very cavy knowledgeable. I would post there for better info! Definitely try not to move her more than necessary. She needs to stay still to heal. It is possible that her spine is just bruised and she would recover. But really without an xray its too hard to tell. Why didn't the vet do one? A knowledgeable cavy vet would have! Ask on GL for a good cavy vet in your area!

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I think she should be kept with the other pigs, for companionship and comfort.

Make sure she gets some mom time too.

I am so sorry this happened. Please don't be hard on yourself, pigs are jumpy.

However I wouldn't put the poor thing to sleep, work with her.

Do you have any critical care ? I would feed her something like that. Maybe puree some hay and pellets, then mixed with pureed veggies (what she usually gets) and some water, syringe that to her if she won't eat.

Are you weighing?

Lilathandra

Cavy Slave
I will do my best to answer everyone's questions in one post so please forgive me if I miss something.

@Wildcavy I do not have critical care at the moment but I have baby food on hand and will be getting canned pumpkin tomorrow. I can only hope that she is getting enough milk from mom. I put mom in the small cage with her several times a day. I also leave the small cage in the cage with everyone so that she does not feel so alone.

@cavy_jdas There are 2 babies including her so I try to let brother and mom stay in the cage with her to give her some comfort. She is in a cat carrier so I leave the door open some times so that they can come and go.

@Onetwo We are hoping that thats all it is that she is banged up and will be just fine in a few days. As for the vet he did not seem to have much knowledge. The vet clinic itself has a good guinea pig vet but this was a different guy I saw this time. They put me with him so that I didn't have to pay for an emergency visit.

@madelineelaine I am weighing her and as of right now she is about .010 grams less than brother. So I am keeping a close eye on it to see what happens. I do have a syringe and will be starting feeding her that way.

Thank you all for the support.

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
One of my sows just had babies, and this has been my worst fear this whole week. I am so sorry to hear this, you and your little pig will be in my thoughts.
Please keep us updated.

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Yes do keeps us in touch and good luck.. Could it just be bruised. does the baby seem in pain?

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I'm sorry this happened. You and your piggie are in my thoughts. Hope the baby pulls through!!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Ditto what others have said - the vet who said oatmeal is wrong. If you don't have Critical Care, make a pellet mash by putting alfalfa pellets into a container and adding warm water to make them soft. Then mash it so it becomes a loose consistency...about like the thickness of babyfood. You can add water if it's too thick for the syringe.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Make sure she's getting fed from mom. and not loosing weight!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
How old is this baby? A week?

No oatmeal. No spinach, either. Critical Care or crushed pellets (actually, I don't even crush them. I just soak them.)

I would not separate her. She will eat and drink more if she is with the others. Place a water bottle low enough for her to reach easily.

Don't hold her.

Lilathandra

Cavy Slave
@foggycreekcavy. I have been giving her the soaked pellets. She started eating her veggies last night.

Last night we left the cat carrier that she was in open and she hopped out and went to lay with mom. Since then we have not put her back in it. She seems to be doing "better" It looks as she is limping but she is able to get around more and shes starting to eat again. We are praying that with some time she will get better. She is nursing from mom just fine thankfully. I will keep you all posted as things progress.

It means alot that I am getting such support so thank you.

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
I am very happy to hear there is some improvement. Thoughts are with you all.

Lyndsy

Cavy Slave
Thinking of you and your little ones... Don't be too hard on yourself, it happens...
Please keep us updated!
It sounds like you're doing an amazing job, so keep up the great work!

monkeynthechimp

Cavy Slave
Oh I'm so glad she's improving! I have been checking to see how she is going! I was so paranoid when I adopted my baby, I didn't pick him up for weeks! They are slippery little eels! :)

Gale_M

Cavy Slave
So glad to hear she's improving!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.