PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to add piggies to our family. Questions!!

Canna25
12-10-12, 08:10 am
Hello!

My 4 year old has asked Santa for a guinea pig. I have always been an animal lover and would like to add some piggies to my family. I've already done a bunch of research on cages, food, and general care and I think we might be ready! BUT!!! I don't know where to get happy, healthy pigs. I am in Maine. Suggestions?? Also, we have a curious lab, so I'm concerned about how to keep the piggies safe. Ideas??

thanks,
C

Cavylier
12-10-12, 09:13 am
Cat/Dog Proofing (http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/g533-cat-dog-proofing.html) is a good place to look at pictures of cages that are safe. Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure about where to get pigs in Maine, but here's a search on Petfinder (http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?animal_type=Small&pet_breed=guinea+pig&location=ME&distance=0). Brought up two male piggies in ME. :)

RubyRain
12-10-12, 10:14 am
Welcome. As long as YOU really want the pets and not just your daughter-I'm all for adding piggies to families.
If you enter your zip code in petfinder it will list every guinea pig within 500 miles!
Sometimes you can work with a rescue to transport too if you can meet them halfway. Don't get discouraged if you can't find one right away. They come available OFTEN. And members here can sometimes hook you up with pigs in need.

Please try to work with a rescue or shelter and don't buy from a store. Even if you don't find one before Christmas, I would encourage you to even get the cage set up and put a stuffed animal in there for your daughter and tell her Santa is working on finding just the right pr for her :)

Canna25
12-10-12, 11:48 am
Thanks for responding! Yes, we are definitely thinking long and hard before we commit since a 4 year old isn't capable of taking care of piggies! I definitely want them, but I need to make sure my husband is 100% on board, too! We will definitely go through a rescue group, not a pet store. Thanks!

CourtArtanis
12-10-12, 11:53 am
Sounds like a worthy cause, welcome to the forum :)