Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Interesting hay theory

GuineaTV

Cavy Slave
It's been suggested that feeding a variety of hays is good for your pigs (timothy, orchard grass), which certainly makes sense. Now, if your pellets are made from Timothy, does that mean that Orchard grass is a better choice for hay, in order to give them variety (if they like it)? Any thoughts?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I feed my pigs what they seem to enjoy. Mine don't particularly like timothy (though they love their pellets) but they LOVE sweet meadow hay from ((broken link removed)). Variety is the key for a pig's diet.

jackie ramser

Cavy Slave
Now what about a alfalfa-grass(1/3) hay that we feed to our horses? Not to feed as a staple but as a treat. I know that the alfalfa causes stones in our little men.

Thanks
Jackie

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If the pigs are prone to bladder stones, it wouldn't be good for them.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
jackie ramser said:
Now what about a alfalfa-grass(1/3) hay that we feed to our horses? Not to feed as a staple but as a treat. I know that the alfalfa causes stones in our little men.

Mine much prefer the green alfalfa straight out of the field as a treat but it is very high in calcium as well as other nutrients. Give them just a few pieces not very often. Straight alfalfa should not be fed frequently to any animal. The only reason it's used in cattle so frequently is because they want the fast growth without worrying about the health consequences.

mom to cujo

Cavy Slave
slap_maxwell said:
I feed my pigs what they seem to enjoy. Mine don't particularly like timothy (though they love their pellets) but they LOVE sweet meadow hay from ((broken link removed)). Variety is the key for a pig's diet.

My guys love sweetmeadow hay as well!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.