Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Poor Andy!!

Quinten29

Cavy Slave
Right, Andy and Cookie went at it this morning, and i mean proper I didn't see the fight but heard the screams and the ruckus that ensued, Andy and Cookie live together along with Junior and Rusty and up until today with no problems what so-ever, however over the last week Junior and Rusty started their 'puberty' and were asking questions as to who the boss was, somehow that ended up with cookie and andy having a big ol 'fight' with andy getting his foot cut badly, (vet says not to bad) but the blood all over my fingers and his little box says that he wasn't feeling great and still isn't, he hasn't had any stitches but they've gone with baytril subcutaneous injection and given me some oral baytril for the next 5 days. Now my question follows:

Do I put Andy back with Junior and Rusty whilst he recuperates? Cookie being the more aggressive of the lot has been put in a separate cage for the time being, till i can work out what to do and how to separate my cage so they all have space to run and play. Will he be ok ??? or should i put him in his own little area until he's better? not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
Are all four males? How old is each? And what was the original cage size with all four?
Are they arguing over anything specific....a house, a food dish, a treat, an area of the cage?

Keep Andy in a separate cage next to the original, so he can still hear and smell his friends. When one is sick or injured, there is a natural tendency for the others to try to push them out of the herd, and since there is already the tension you would not want to risk opening the wound up or Andy being picked on or not allowed to eat. (I have seen some pretty caring pairs during one's illness, so this is not always the case; it is just a general tendency by nature.)

Is Cookie getting along with the others, or has he been up to this point? I'll wait for other details before recommendations for Cookie.

Quinten29

Cavy Slave
Cookie was getting along with the other 3 up until this point, he was a bit of a bully and very stubborn about his area's (least ways whilst he was in them lol) but that was just normal dominance no injury's or fighting what so every just a push and shove really, the only thing that's changed is the two baby's Andy is 1.8years old, justin is 1.2 yr's and rusty/junior are abou 6/7months (these two are the culprits as i believe they are pubescent at the minute and are spraying everything and generally upsetting the natural order of things whilst they work out all over again who goes where in the pecking order which is what i think got cookie into big bad dominate piggie mode

all four have a huge 36.2 square feet of cage area to run around in split on two levels with 2 of everything or more so there can be no fighting over 1 specific thing

100_0742.jpg the cage, the four boys are in the bottom two levels, the 3rd level is now housing Peanut and Patches(the babies, rescued from a dismal life in a 3square meter cage), and the very top level has Justin(the bully)
100_0896.jpgCookie (rescued from a life on his own and a outdoor hutch, has been with Andy for 6months and the babies (junior and rusty) for the last 4 with no problems whatsoever)
100_0911.jpgRusty on the left, Andy's backside towards us and Junior on the right

Quinten29

Cavy Slave
anyone got any idea's?

Andy now has his own little corner where he can still see the boys and smell them but won't be disturbed, Cookie and Justin are on the top level again with a wire fence separating them so they can see an smell one another (seems to be working they are both sleeping against the fence right next to one another) and peanut and patches are back on their own level, but what to do about poor andy, how long do i keep him recuperating, he's still bleeding slightly, more a bit of wheeping as his bandage is holding it all at bay (he does try chewing it off tho lol)

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I would keep Andy on his own until he is compleatly healed up. It could cause one of the younger piggies to challenge him while he's injured and then he could be hurt more or end up hurting one of the others. I had to separate Huey and Roger for a few months until they got through puberty. They lived in a divided cage and seemed fine. They no longer live together because Roger fell in love with Annabelle this year and we had him neutered so he could live with her. He is happier now then I've ever seen him. As long as they can hear each other or better yet see each other they should be fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.