PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Imbue
12-07-12, 01:36 pm
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and live in Australia!

I don't own any piggies yet, currently I'm extensively researching guinea pigs and what it takes to properly look after them and have been for a couple of months so I can be a good owner to my new pets. I'm hoping to get them in the coming year or so, maybe a bit later because I want to be absolutely sure that I'll be able to take care of the little ones as best as I can. I currently own mice, and have done for many years so I have had some (but limited) experience with rodents and rodent care. I have been reading and trying to absorb as much information as I can about cavies and I hope that I can ask lots of questions here and get lots of answers because I know this is a very thriving and active community!

It's nice to meet you all!

I'll probably see you around in the forums, please don't mind me cooing and giggling over your cute pets and excuse the some of the stupid questions-- I am a guinea pigs novice!

lol

(P.S: Aren't guinea pigs wonderful! So cute and smart and wonderfully sweet! I can't wait to own some)

ellisa
12-07-12, 01:39 pm
Welcome!! Thanks for doing some research before you get your pigs! We're all here to help so ask as many questions as you want! :)

Iklepink
12-07-12, 01:40 pm
Welcome! All the information you could ever need is here on this site and if you can't find what you're looking for, don't be shy to ask. :) We've all been there not knowing what we're doing and every silly question you can think of I'm sure will of been asked before! If it helps you to be the best piggie parent you can be we don't mind helping at all.

Kritastrophe
12-07-12, 01:50 pm
Welcome to the site! So glad you're doing research, this is a great place for Guinea Pig knowledge!

Imbue
12-07-12, 02:42 pm
Wow! Thanks for the welcome everyone! I was wondering if you have any subforums or threads specific to location? I haven't fully explored the site, so I'll probably find it eventually, but I've been snooping around and a lot of the topics become very region/country specific (especially in regards to sourcing hay, corflute, adopting etc...) so I'm feeling a bit left out and clueless (there aren't any guinea pigs up for adoption in my region/state apparently!) if not then I'll wish you all on your merry way and I'll be off exploring the site later :)

Also, in regards to no adoptions available in my state, what am I meant to do?! Is it acceptable to buy a pet from a small pet store? (we don't have many large chain pet stores here like Petco) Most of the breeders in the Yellow Pages breed long haired and fancy guinea pigs (probably too advanced for what I'm looking for, I don't know a thing about hair dressing!) I'm getting a bit panicky because I know everyone here is anti-petstore. Some advice would be very helpful.

I'm so happy I decided to join this community because everyone is so kind and friendly! It's been nice meeting you all, have a good day everyone!

Kritastrophe
12-07-12, 02:47 pm
Australia/New Zealand (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/australia-new-zealand/) The link is also located on the Forum Page down a little ways. There is also an adoption link on the top tabs, so hopefully you can find one for in your area. With pet-shops there can be a lot of complications and health issues among other problems with pet-shops in general. So, look for people rehoming in your area, or shelters. There also might be someone on the forums in your area that might be able to list shelters in the area. :)

Imbue
12-07-12, 02:51 pm
Australia/New Zealand (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/australia-new-zealand/) The link is also located on the Forum Page down a little ways. :)

THANK YOU! I don't think I looked closely enough!