Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi!

Danygell

Cavy Slave
I have two guinea pigs, they are both girls! My older girl is one year and four months old and her name is Apple. I call Apple Bottoms or Apple-vu (with a super exagerated french accent). She is my happiness and joy! We are unseperabble! And my other baby girl is called Zippo she is about three monts old and just got her two days ago! She is a little beautiful hair ball! I like to call her Zippo the hippo! Because apple was alone for the longest time I adopted Zippo and now im trying to introduce them. :( I dont know if its going well or not. But I will tru untill the end! :):):love:

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave
I have two guinea pigs, they are both girls! My older girl is one year and four months old and her name is Apple. I call Apple Bottoms or Apple-vu (with a super exagerated french accent). She is my happiness and joy! We are unseperabble! And my other baby girl is called Zippo she is about three monts old and just got her two days ago! She is a little beautiful hair ball! I like to call her Zippo the hippo! Because apple was alone for the longest time I adopted Zippo and now im trying to introduce them. :( I dont know if its going well or not. But I will tru untill the end! :):):love:

Welcome to the forum! As you can see, this place is full of happy and inseparable piggy owners (and their pigs)
It's not all happiness though, sometimes it's sadness...which is another thing we are here for! :D

Pig introductions can be un-nerving, but there is a fairly common rule - everything goes as long as no blood is shed.
If blood is shed from either pig (intentional scratches and bites etc) They will simply never be friends.

All the humping and bickering, scrapping etc. is perfectly normal and is necessary for them to be properly introduced. It shouldn't take too long, but for the first hour - constantly supervise them.
After that i'd say not-so-close monitoring is fine for a few days.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
If blood is shed from either pig (scratches, bites etc) They will simply never be friends.

Just because blood is drawn once does not mean they will never be friends. That is not a fact, they are able to be friends even after blood is drawn, it is not true that they'll never be friends. It may be so with some pigs but with others it's not. With some piggies It's all about timing and how they happen to be feeling on the day of introductions (Like for females if they are in heat on the day)

Intros should only be done once if they get along, not spread out over a period of time as 'play dates' don't work for pigs and are very stressful.
If they get along after a couple of hours during the intro in the neutral territory they should be put into a newly cleaned cage together, if it does not go well you can try again another time.

Guinea Pigs Social Life <<< This link has some info on intros.

Last edited:

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave
Just because blood is drawn once does not mean they will never be friends. That is not a fact, they are able to be friends even after blood is drawn, it is not true that they'll never be friends. It may be so with some pigs but with others it's not. With some piggies It's all about timing and how they happen to be feeling on the day of introductions (Like for females if they are in heat on the day)

Intros should only be done once if they get along, not spread out over a period of time as 'play dates' don't work for pigs and are very stressful.
If they get along after a couple of hours during the intro in the neutral territory they should be put into a newly cleaned cage together, if it does not go well you can try again another time.

Guinea Pigs Social Life <<< This link has some info on intros.

If it's intentional (like chewing each other to bits), they will never be friends. Day-to-day mood of the pig has nothing to do with it.
Sitting there and watching them actively fight with hostility and doing nothing is stupidity. Letting them do it again and again is just cruel.

I should have been clearer at first that by "intentional", i don't mean nips on the ends of the ears :p

Last edited:

Danygell

Cavy Slave
Thankyou both for your help so so much! Well i already introduced them before, apple seemed like mean with zippo, she starts squeaking louder than normal whan zippo walked near her, also she would like nip zippo every time to time.. But apple squeaked lauder than normal all the time zippo was with her.
Alsp i have them in two seperate cages but next to each other and yesterday i found them bitting on the cage bars but the weird thing was that both were biting at the same time and in front of eachother (remember, they are both in two seperate cages) too me it seemed like they wanted to be together because when they were biting they were rubbing noses.
Today i woke up because zipp wouldnt stop biting on the cage, same spot where i found both of them biting yesterday.
Does anyone know what this tupe of behavior means?

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know what this tupe of behavior means?

That's just guineapig behaviour, they like to chew lol

Give them other chew things in their cages, like wooden toys etc.

Kritastrophe

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums! Let us know how the intros go. Any pigtures of them? :D

Danygell

Cavy Slave
image.jpg Cant rotate the picture, but this is Zippo my smallest baby.

Kritastrophe

Cavy Slave
SOOO cute! Thanks for the pigture [MENTION=25889]Danygell[/MENTION]

Danygell

Cavy Slave
image.jpgAnd this is Apple :)

Kritastrophe

Cavy Slave
Apple is in bling city! LoL. Very cute pigtures!

T1ggerPigLuvur

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome! You have two very adorable little piggies. I especially like the Christmas picture of Apple. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.