Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reference How to build an alternative C&C type cage.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
1cage.jpg

This cage was made to be extra sturdy. It's not as light weight as a C&C cage but it is very stable and the strong base can have legs added to it easily to create a table type cage without the table. It was also made with 100% recycled products. Total cost to build this cage was $7.00.
You can build this cage with cubes but you will need to alter the base size so the cubes will fit neatly. If you want the cubes to be screwed to the base the way the shelving is you will need to turn the mending plates so that they go through an opening in the cube grids and screw on either side.

Materials needed for a 3'x3' cage as shown
scrap 2x4 lumber (1x4 will also work) - 4 3' long pieces. (untreated is best)
scrap plywood minimum 3'2"x3'2" piece
wire shelving (I got mine for $3 at a local builders recycle center)
coroplast, linoleum or peel and stick tiles (I used old coroplast political signs)
Furniture feet or casters (see step 3)
cable ties
nails
metal mending plates (see step 6, fig 9)
wood screws
plastic caps for cut shelving ends

Tools needed;
circular saw, jig saw or hand saw
bolt cutters or Safety Goggles and masonary blade for circular saw(if cutting shelving yourself)
hammer
drill with screwdriver attachment or regular screwdriver
scissors or utility knife (to cut coroplast, linoleum or vinyl tiles)

Step 1
Cut the boards to length and nail them together. Use a simple butt joint...no need to get fancy with angle cuts. To get the length for this 3'x3' cage 2 of the board were cut at 3', 2 were cut at 3' 4".
2cage.jpg
fig 1
Nail the shorter boards "inside" the longer boards. In other words the nails should go through the longer boards and into the shorter boards. (see fig 2)
3cage.jpg
fig 2

Step 2
Cut the plywood to size. Make sure your corners of the 2x4 frame are squared up at right angles. Lie the plywood on the 2x4s and nail it in place securely. Be careful that your nails don't bend through the wood and create sharp points sticking out of the sides.
4cage.jpg
fig 3

Continued in next post.....

Last edited:

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
...continued...

Step 3
Put on your furniture feet or casters. This is a little thing that will make a huge difference when you want to move your cage. You can also attach long table type legs at this point but that isn't covered here. If you add long legs make sure that they are braced and very stable.
5cage.jpg
fig 4

Step 4
Cover the inside bottom and sides with coroplast, linoleum or peal and stick tiles. This will give it a water proof bottom, make cleaning easier and protect your pet from chewing on the wood.
5.5cage.jpg
fig 5

6cage.jpg
fig 6

Step 5
Cut your wire shelving to size. You can have this pre done at the hardware store if you buy it new just make sure you have them cut some "notches out" so the corners fit together nicely (see fig 8). I cut them myself using a masonary cutting blade on my circular saw. Safety goggles are a must...so is long sleeves and pants (unlike I’m wearing). Look at the pretty sparks! I recommend bolt cutters if you have them.
fig 7

8cage.jpg
fig 8
continued in next post....

Last edited:

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
...continued...

Step 6
Put yourself and any fires you started from the sparks out(kidding). Lay the lip edge of the shelves against the wood sides and secure with the mending plates (see fig 9) and screws. Look at how the metal bar of the shelf protects the wood from chewing (neat huh?). If you want a door this is the time to leave an opening in one side (fig 10).
7cage.jpg
fig 9

9cage.jpg
fig 10

Step 7
Secure all corners with zip ties. Don't forget the plastic caps for the cut ends of the shelving.

Step 8
This particular cage is for a rabbit so the sides must be higher. If it's for a GP you can be finished. I had a height restriction as the cage needed to fit under a desk so I overlapped the shelving, If you have no height problems you can attach the shelving directly on top of the base shelving. Notice that the top layer of shelving is attached with the lip on top (opposite of the base layer) the lip on top will provide a good base for a lid if desired.

To keep the door at the right size I had to cut out a section of the shelving (more sparks). I covered the top with scraps of shelving to keep the rabbit from climbing or jumping out. It's not pretty but will be hidden from view once in place.
10cage.jpg
fig 11

Step 9 (door)
I used another piece of shelving (a cube would also work well) to build a door. You can simply secure it with binder clips to hold it in place or make a hinge out of cable ties or your own invention. Mine is hinged at the top and clips at the top when opened to allow the rabbit to come and go.

Step 10
add bedding, toys, food, water and pets...
11cage.jpg
fig 12
Patches is enjoying his new cage. Now to neuter him and find him a girlfriend.

Last edited:

CuteButShyPig

Cavy Slave
very creative! I love the idea.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Thanks. Once I had he materials I made it in one afternoon.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
That made me laugh! (Do as I say not as I do!)

Very excellent alternate idea. Put pics in the gallery!

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
I love the idea Voodoo. It would be more studier for a large giant rabbit breeds. Thank you for bringing the idea up. When we do this for our Flemish Giant Rabbit SweetPea we will use castor wheels since her cage she is in now is a 2x6 and 2 high. so a cage like this will be very heavy and on wheels will do well as well.

Last edited:

Homemom

Cavy Slave
New here but lurked for quite some time. I am the pet editor for Your Life Magazine on line and hopefully (when their compute rissues are resolved) the Oct issue will feature my antics with building a C&C Cage for my son's cavies. I have been involved with piggies since childhood and currently have five rescues.

I like this idea and may try it when my daughter is older! So farm she can open just about any cage except the Marchioro and finding the 120 is all but impossible in the states. The one site I found carrying them has discontinued them and shipping from the UK is prohibitively expensive!

cherielane

Cavy Slave
how do you clean it out easily????

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
his cage, being a rabbit cage, is easy because my rabbit uses a litter box.

If it was a GP cage or a messy rabbit and the entire bottom needed bedding I would take the lid off (if it had one) and use a dustpan to scoop out the litter, wipe it down and replace it or I would use fleece like I use in my GP's cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.