PDA

View Full Version : Skin Problems Scab = mites or fighting?

BernieAndBert
12-03-12, 02:30 am
My pigs have their first vet visit on Thursday. I've had them for a few months now. They are two boars in a 2x4 C&C. For the most part they get along and just go about their own business, but they do chatter and leap at each other sometimes (then quickly separate). Tonight I found two small scabs on Bernie's lower back. One feels round and is still attached and the other came off just while I was petting him, it's very thin and has some fur attached to it. He wouldn't let me get a great look at it. I'll try to take a picture in the morning. I was just wondering if any of you know whether scabs are more of a sign of injury or mites?

CourtArtanis
12-03-12, 04:09 am
Could be either really, what colour are the scabs?

BernieAndBert
12-03-12, 11:42 am
37956 here it is :/

foggycreekcavy
12-03-12, 04:56 pm
Looks more like a bite mark than a scratch mark. Since they seem well scabbed it probably wasn't that recent. I would not separate them, but keep an eye out and watch for signs of bullying.

iamsnape
12-03-12, 05:00 pm
I agree that it looks like a bite mark. When I first paired up Elmo with Noah, Elmo had a couple of these on him front when Noah would nip him during humping. This was only in the first few days of them being together, just so everyone knows - they love each other to pieces now! Whereas when Noah had mites, his scabs were larger, a lot less small and 'defined', more flat as if they had been caused through scratching. He had them on his left side by his front leg (his left) and the middle of his back. If I'm not mistaken, I think scabs on the middle of the back are typical with mites, and hair loss in a 'V' shape.

Don't worry though - like I said, Noah and Elmo did this and now they won't be without each other. Just keep an eye out and do daily checks for more scabs, and monitor how they're healing up.

BernieAndBert
12-03-12, 05:21 pm
I agree that it looks like a bite mark. When I first paired up Elmo with Noah, Elmo had a couple of these on him front when Noah would nip him during humping. This was only in the first few days of them being together, just so everyone knows - they love each other to pieces now!

Thanks, I feel better. They've been together for a month and are both under a year. I'm hoping in a few months they'll calm down.