Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Wanting to change

dropping_head

Cavy Slave
Hello Vegans. (kinda sounds like something off star trek)
I am a country girl raised on meat.
But I really want to change that. It's hard changing something like
that, because I never feel like salads and veggies don't fill me up
enough. What I really need are some good filling recipes.
I want to quit because 1.) the meat is tainted from abuse and drugs.
2.) What brutal creatures we are for doing this to entire species.

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
Does soup fill you? Try a creamed soup like cream of potato without stock, meat, etc. in it. Fills me up :)
Here are some very filling vegan/vegitarian recipes:
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Hope those help!

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Bean and lentil-type dishes are very filling and tasty. Lots of recipes around for that.

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
BEans are legumes which are loaded with protein making them very filling and tasty as Teresa said.

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Try vegetarian chili. It's my favorite. I loved chili, and miss it a lot. Veggie chili tastes exactly the same, I love it. It's made mostly from beans, so it's got a lot of protein too. A lot of meals can be made veggie, like lasagna, burgers (Boca or Morningstar Farms), chicken, rice, etc. Since I went veggie, I started to eat baked potatos a lot. If you fill them with butter, cheese, and other stuff, they make a great filling meal.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I love baked potato with sour cream, broccoli, mushrooms, bits of onion and cheese. I used to use bacon. You can put spinich and tomatoes in there too.
I get lower fat sour cream or cheese. Sometimes I use yougrt instead of the sour cream.

lemma

Cavy Slave
Once on an airplane trip I watched a discovery chanel show which put forth the theory that it is protein - and not fat - which makes people feel full. So, probably eating things higher in protein will make you feel fuller - things like beans, nuts, lentles, tofu and fake meats.
Personally I find tempeh really filling (it's this weird molded soy bean thing - it sounds icky but I think it tastes good although a little unusual). Usually I just fry it in a little olive oil and salt and toss it in whatever. Sometimes it's hard to find, but if it was in a grocery store it would probably be in the vegetarian or organic section (if they have one).

zariex

Cavy Slave
Baked potatoes, as Suzi mentioned, are really good, and if you're looking to be vegan [so without the dairy products that she mentioned as toppings], there are plenty of alternatives. Tofutti has a sour cream for vegans which I hear very good things about. I personally use Earth Balance butter as a topping on my baked potatoes.

Beans will fill anyone up. Any beans are good, and it's reallly nice that there are so many different kinds. You can find vegetarian baked beans anywhere [and they're all vegan too, I believe... You'll just have to check the ingredients]. Pink beans are good by themselves or with rice. I've never tried them with anything else. Bean burritos are to die for. Just wrap some refriend beans and whatever you like into a tortilla and eat it. In fact, I planned to make some tomorrow night for dinner!

jeza921

Cavy Slave
Portibello mushrooms. They are amazing. Use a big thick slice of it instead of hamburger meat, and you have one awesome vegiburger.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.