Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Finally introducing myself and my pigs

mellbutler

Cavy Slave
Ok been on a little while and figured it was time to make a proper introduction. I became a pig Moma when my daughter wanted a hamster last november. Went to the pet store and asked advice on what kind of small pet is best for children. He sugested guine pigs. So we came home a few days later with our oreo and 2 days later went back and got his cage mate who we named ginny. Yes and she came with a little extra. So in late January we were blessed with 4 healthy piggy babies. Sweetpea, Emma, Rexy, and fluffy. 3 girls, 1 boy. I quickly feel in love with all my pigs. I had always been a cat person but with my recent cats they are not much for haning out with me or snuggling. I found that piggies are though!

Recently we lost our two boys in a horrible accident and eneded up adopting 2 new bores but lost one just 5 days later. But Bear is doing great! He is housed next to our girls so he doesn't get so lonely. SO here are some pics of my piggies.

Melissa

Attachments

156725_4965287248284_1340558139_n.jpg DSC_2801.jpg DSC_2793.jpg DSC_2799.jpg

Kritastrophe

Cavy Slave
Adorable piggies! Welcome to the forums. :D

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
Welcome! There is a tremendous amount of accumulated knowledge here!

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Welcome!

Have you considered getting your male neutered so he can live with the girls?

PuffPigs

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Super adorable pigs!

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Welcome! So sorry to hear about the losses, but glad that your herd is doing well. I just love the pigtures. Are you thinking of adopting another boar for Bear? I've got two girls now, but miss having boars. I was going to have my last one neutered so he could join my Amy, but he died before that could happen.

mellbutler

Cavy Slave
Welcome!

Have you considered getting your male neutered so he can live with the girls?

yes but geez the last time i did he was dead a few months later....that's why when we got new ones we got two boars=(...we are going to n exotic pet show this weekend maybe we will get names of some breeders. I def don't want to buy from pet stores anymore...where else can i find pigs who need homes? No pig rescues close. DOn't trust craiglist. And I have checked pet finder...

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
yes but geez the last time i did he was dead a few months later....that's why when we got new ones we got two boars=(...we are going to n exotic pet show this weekend maybe we will get names of some breeders. I def don't want to buy from pet stores anymore...where else can i find pigs who need homes? No pig rescues close. DOn't trust craiglist. And I have checked pet finder...

No one here will agree at all with you getting them from breeders; you know all the horrible things that they contribute too and have been on this forum for a while.
If you are dead set on getting them from a breeder, make sure that they know the guinea pigs background genetics and don't breed for looks but for better genes and good strong healthy DNA. There might not be any that are actually one of the very very few breeders that don't just breed for looks, but for health. *I'm not trying to start an argument, I do not agree with breeding piggies at all.*

I'd try to find another exotic vet and ask them all the questions, if they seem like they've done successful neuters before then I'd get him neutered.
It isn't risky if you have a good experienced vet doing the neuter.

No one uses (or has heard of) craiglist where I live, but by the sounds of it a few people have saved their piggies by getting them off craiglist. I'd look to see if there are any in your area that need a loving home that you can offer.

Last edited:

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Why don't you trust craigslist? Those pigs often end up in rescues anyway.

Are you worried about going to their houses? You can always meet somewhere, and take someone with you.

MonkeysMomma

Cavy Slave
Cute Piggers, as for Craigslist, when I would have rats that I'd put up for adoption via Craigslist, I would ALWAYS insist on meeting them in a public place, I generally chose Petsmart because it was near home, and you might need some supplies. Just remember, if the people aren't willing to meet you in a public place,they may not be able to, because of transportation issues, or health issues. I can't say that I'd go into their homes, but if you choose to do so, please leave your children at home, and take another person with you! I'd also ask a list of general questions before agreeing to adopt 1. What are they currently eating? Where are they kept? Are they Social? Were they meant to be food for something else? How old are they? and what kind of bedding are you using? I'd only suggest asking if they were meant for feeders because I once took in a rat who was supposed to be "lunch" and the snake wouldn't eat her, well, she had to be kept by herself because she'd terrorize and kill any other rats housed with her!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.