PDA

View Full Version : Fleece How sanitary is it?

Babyherbie
11-29-12, 06:11 pm
Hi all,

my mom is putting up a real fight to let me use fleece or any kind of materials in my piggies cage because she thinks it's "unsanitary". I would be washing the fleece and everything, but she refuses to let me use the washing machine as "the pee would get in the washing machine and onto our clothing".:eye-poppi I was wondering if there is any truth to this?

what do you guys do to keep things clean/ "sanitary"?

I want to cut down costs and fleece just seems like the best option!

CavyMama
11-29-12, 06:14 pm
There really is nothing to worry about with fleece being "unsanitary". If you have an absorbant layer under the fleece, all the moisture from the urine would be absorbed into that layer and away from the fleeece. If you prepare the fleece properly to allow it to wick the moisture down to the absorbant layer, then the fleece stays dry.

You would also probably want to brush off or shake off the fleece before putting it in the washer as hay and fur can stick to it.

Aleks
11-29-12, 06:22 pm
I can't stand it when people think that the pee is going to get on their other clothes.. It's a WASHING MACHINE. It cleans stuff! Everything would be sanitary in my opinion. I wash my piggies towels and such with whatever dirty clothes i have at the moment, and it has NEVER made my clothes smell or anything like that.
I wonder what she did when you were a little kid and used to pee your pants. Did she just throw away your clothes that you peed on? Probably not. I would imagine that she washed them. It's the same principal.

Edit: I'm really not trying to be rude, so i apologize if it came off that way.

lissie
11-29-12, 06:23 pm
Ask her if you've ever peed on your pants when you were little, and if she threw away all those pants. Washing machines are designed to wash and clean clothes. If she's worried the fleece will leave the machine dirty, you can run an empty load with some bleach or vinegar in the wash.

Inle_Rabbit
11-29-12, 06:24 pm
I usually wash the guinea pig laundry then run the washing machine empty with a little bleach in it. It might not do anything but it makes me feel better. I do not wash my clothing with the guinea pig laundry because try as I might their laundry always smells like animal even when clean. Not dirty animal just warm clean guinea pig fur. I like it but I wouldn't want to smell like that all day. lol

T_Licious
11-29-12, 06:30 pm
I think they determined that there is around a tenth of a gram of fecal matter in every pair of underwear, so perhaps people clothes would be the ones making the fleece dirty LOLOL I wouldn't worry about it. FWIW, I've washed cloth diapers in my washer for a combined total of 5 years and we all survived ;)

T1ggerPigLuvur
11-29-12, 06:46 pm
It's not unsanitary. In fact, it's pretty clean. I mean, the washing machine is meant to clean things, right?

If you're still worried about the uncleanliness, here is what I do. It works pretty well.

1. Wash guinea pig laundry.
2. Wash your personal kitchen and bathroom towels as normally, but add a bit of bleach.

Then when you need to wash YOUR laundry, the washing machine is clean.

Hope this helps!

foggycreekcavy
11-29-12, 07:03 pm
My husband used to be the same way about the washing machine. But I've used it for ferret laundry, horse blankets, diapers, and pig laundry, and it's still going strong!

Knock on wood, of course!

Babyherbie
11-29-12, 07:24 pm
Thanks I'll use some of these tips to convice her, i thought she was being kind of ridicules:P. I've heard of people adding stuffed animals in cages for their pigs (Herbie loves my stuffed animals on my bed). Does the same principle apply to them, they aren't fleece so I imagine they would soke up the pee... Would that be something to hand wash? Or would that get extremely dirty?

Owned by cavy
11-29-12, 07:35 pm
Thanks I'll use some of these tips to convice her, i thought she was being kind of ridicules:P. I've heard of people adding stuffed animals in cages for their pigs (Herbie loves my stuffed animals on my bed). Does the same principle apply to them, they aren't fleece so I imagine they would soke up the pee... Would that be something to hand wash? Or would that get extremely dirty?

I have some little ones that I've tossed into cages from time to time, I wash them exactly the same way that I do the fleece. It will break them down and wear them out faster, but they'll get clean. Something else you can do is put them inside of a pillow case and tie the end when you're putting them in the wash. That way, they still get clean, but their little eyes, or ears or whatever won't get caught on anything in the washer!

Aleks
11-29-12, 07:38 pm

Right now George has 3 stuffed animals in his cage. I wash them with the laundry, as well. One of them has to be hand dried though, because if i put him in the dryer it burns the fur material. I don't think that they soak up pee either, mine always come out smelling very clean.

madelineelaine
11-29-12, 08:44 pm
I have some stuffed animals, I just toss them in the washing machine with pig laundry along with all the hidies. no problems.

MissJean
11-29-12, 08:54 pm
I often wash my laundry after the pigs because I've learned there's absolutely nothing gross that lingers in the machine. I'd just recommend shaking out the fleece really well beforehand. Cleaning wet pieces of the washer is a bit of a pain.

I also agree with others to use vinegar. That stuff is amazing and I use it for the whole house!

leopardjunkie
11-29-12, 09:15 pm
Also sheets, clothing, etc from hospitals and nursing homes and hotels are all laundered in machines...and they are IMO super gross :) (you can all thank me for that visual )

I cloth diaper twins with malabsorption issues that drink alot of fluids, and with out giving too many details their has been alot ALOT of urine, and feces soaked diapers, clothes, sheets. Along with the linens and items from two dogs and two guinea pigs and a husband that occasionally is unsure if he has to poop or pass gas...So far their has been no cross contaimination from washing all our "crappy" situations that I am aware of :) I also used to feed my pups raw meat and i was not sanitary about it...the clothes I would wear I would wipe my hands on the aprons and wash them in the washer...also no issues with bacteria or solmonilla :) we have all lived. I could provide other reasons why I am sure our washer works but I will spare you the deats...long funny gross story short...as long as your washing machine is working :) it should be cleaning out your clothes and not leaving behind stuff...otherwise I would worry not really about GP pee, but bacteria!!!! as it would be more of a threat in that condition than a GP pee...BTW pee is considered sterile under normal conditions, so while I don"t think there is a concern with either as long as you are shaking off the hair and feces...really if they were to panick I would be more concerned about feces...but no its not a problem :) :)

I also do not run an empty load inbetween GP/diaper or dog laundry. I just go for it. I wash human clothes first then pet and then wipe er down on the inside for any stray hair or grass and go about my day :) good luck!

Onetwo
11-29-12, 10:32 pm
I bring my piggy laundry to the laundry mat once every 2 weeks because our crappy coin operated machines don't clean the fleece well enough. Too much stuff stuck to them. The extra large human sized front loaders cost about $6 a load but then I only have to use one every other week. I don't like their dryers because they melt fleece so I bring those home and dry them in the dryer here. I washed clothe diapers in the machines here too with little problems. I do my wash first then the other laundry and then spray with vinegar and wipe down and let it dry! Haven't had any issues from the other apt residents! Hehe

katherine766
11-29-12, 10:52 pm
My mom's that way too.
Here's what I do:
-shake fleece outside
-brush fleece with those rolly things that take pet hair off clothes etc.
-soak it in sink with detergent
-wring it out couple of times until the water is clear
-put in the washer
:)

SeeSpotSit
11-30-12, 01:41 am
Um...so I am a clean freak with OCD/OCPD and laundry is one of my things that I am very particular about. I own a dog walking company, have 3 dogs and 3 piggies (now *sigh*). I wash animal laundry separate from clothes and add XO to the animal wash (it's a natural neutralizer) and then vinegar in the rinse. If it's a super soiled load I wash on hot. Before washing human laundry I wipe out the washer. Then I ALWAYS wash a load of jeans before other human laundry...this is because hair does not stick to jean material. But I do know people who run an empty bleach wash between animal and human wash as well. Even pre-hand washing is a great idea if your parents are set against it.

My sense of smell is ridiculous and my clothes never smell like anything except clean clothes ;) Good luck, fleece really is so much better than loose bedding in my opinion.

squishycar
11-30-12, 08:25 am
I am far more grossed out by the germs from wearing clothes out of the house. Buses, public restrooms, all the places you sit, brush against, school, your underwear, etc....nasty. You don't know who was there before and what stuff they had or where they had been (well hopefully not in the case of your underwear lol) . The animal stuff, especially the trace amounts of urine, is nothing compared to the germs on your clothes. I haven't got my C&C cage yet, (is it Christmas yet?) but I plan on washing the pig fleece with my clothes. It'll go with the jeans most likely. I can't afford to do a separate load as we have to use the laundry mat at the apartment. I can't wait to get a house and my own machines!